Roderick Henderson DT 339lbs

titan3131

Reaction score
[youtube]gSOOGDMokmQ[/youtube]

THIS IS A BIG MAN. Holy christ he cannot be stopped, his presence demands a double team. If we draft him he will absolutely revitalize our defense. On base downs Avril-Clark-Bennett 1v1 will not be stopped with this man clogging up lanes and letting LB's do the work.

6'0" 339 had a great pro day recently. The seahawks were 1 of 4 teams in attendance at the pro day.

Interview From Draftdiamonds

Roderick Henderson

What is your Height/Weight?

6’1 353

What is your position?

Nose tackle

Where do you play college football?

Alabama State

Football is about giving back, what is the coolest thing you have done off the field?

One of the coolest things I have done is went to this alternative school with these youth defenders and played kickball, flag football and basketball with them and the best thing about that is you will be shock how you put and impact on somebody life through sports

What was the hardest college class you ever had to take?

Social Research 2

Where are you from?

Montgomery Al

Who is your role model, and why?

My Mom is because she been through so much and all she know is to fight through it

Did you play any other sports growing up?

Yes, baseball, basketball and tennis

Did you play any other positions in football?

Yes, fullback

At your position, what separates you from others?

My dominance with double team blockers

When you are breaking down film, what do you look for?

The first hand placement that a center makes on contact and the guard first step

Who was the toughest player you ever faced?

To be honest nobody in the SWAC but Kentucky center and guard combination was great when they double me but I still had 3 TFL that game

If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be and why?

Vince Wilfork, we both big and stout and take on double team blocks

What was the biggest obstacle in your life you had to overcome, and how did you overcome it?

When I found out my mom had cancer and when my brother was shot and killed within 4 months apart and I overcame it with prayer and strength

Do you have any pre-game rituals?

No not really I just listen to music

What is your biggest strength?

Making a new line of scrimmage

rodddWhat is your biggest weakness?

My weight I will say so I can stay on the field longer

If I were a GM and gave you a second to sell yourself, what would you say?

First I am a people person and everybody loves and I would bring a great work ethic to your program. I love making a new line of scrimmage, taking on double team blocks, and clogging up the holes so the running backs have nowhere to go and also make my linebackers will be free during the game

Who was your favorite player and/or NFL team growing up?

Warren Sapp

If you could have dinner with three people dead or alive, who would you choose?

I will chose my brother, Vince Wilfork and Warren Sapp

What will be the first big item you buy once you are in the NFL?

Um I’m not sure yet

penihawk

Reaction score
Interesting player. He has pretty good get off for being a compact 340 and he looks like he carries alot of that weight from his knees to his waist. I bet 54 would like him in the rotation on early downs. ;)

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
As Huard says his power source is huge! His thighs are so thick he has such a low base of his power, being shorter with that much power you can get under most linemen.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Reallly needs to get down to about 330, maybe 325, but there's no question that he's got some natural talent in that he's got a good center of gravity and thus plays with good pad level. The hustle can't really be taught either.

chris98251

Reaction score
six sigma":2ggfmxqb said:
Good lord, he said he can also play fullback. :shock:

He said he had played fullback, probably in High school.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
his 10 yard split at his pro day was 1.79... Imagine this MAN charging at you? Who could stop him? Would make Tukuafu look like a child compared to this guy.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Looks like a candidate for the Seahawks to me. He appears to be an Impressive nose tackle with strong legs & uses his natural leverage well. Maybe a little "nasty" there too. I'm sure level of competition may be of some concern, but small school guys can and have turned into great NFL players in the past, given the right coaching and team to max them out.

Every year, I keep seeing players entering the NFL with obvious "bird legs", most kids these days only want to improve their upper bodies with weight training, with obviously very little attention to leg development lifts & exercises. This is especially noticeable with DB's & WR's & some LB's & RB's, a little less so in OL/DL guys. It's nice to see some really decent leg drive from a few guys that are exceptions to that concept. It must be very difficult to even move a 6-0/340 "big chunk" guy like this kid. I like how he seems to always be moving multiple blockers backward & it seems it takes a minimum of a double team to even slow him down a little. IMO, he'd fit a need on the DL & could likely be had on the cheap, draft value wise. I think he just made my list of interesting "sleeper" prospects for this years draft.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":toti3gxe said:
Looks like a candidate for the Seahawks to me. He appears to be an Impressive nose tackle with strong legs & uses his natural leverage well. Maybe a little "nasty" there too. I'm sure level of competition may be of some concern, but small school guys can and have turned into great NFL players in the past, given the right coaching and team to max them out.

Every year, I keep seeing players entering the NFL with obvious "bird legs", most kids these days only want to improve their upper bodies with weight training, with obviously very little attention to leg development lifts & exercises. This is especially noticeable with DB's & WR's & some LB's & RB's, a little less so in OL/DL guys. It's nice to see some really decent leg drive from a few guys that are exceptions to that concept. It must be very difficult to even move a 6-0/340 "big chunk" guy like this kid. I like how he seems to always be moving multiple blockers backward & it seems it takes a minimum of a double team to even slow him down a little. IMO, he'd fit a need on the DL & could likely be had on the cheap, draft value wise. I think he just made my list of interesting "sleeper" prospects for this years draft.

One of the sites with info on him was that he has been a member of the 1600 club since Sophomore in college? For the non lifters thats BENCH SQUAT DEADLIFT pr's added together.

Seafan

Reaction score
We had a couple of those in camp last year (UDFA) but they couldn't play. I heard about the Hawks visit to the Alabama St Pro Day and they spent some time with Henderson. Wonder where he falls in the draft if at all.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
chris98251":1i8rx8qm said:
six sigma":1i8rx8qm said:

Fullback is interesting....but TENNIS? Damn! Must be athletic.

chris98251

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2sej9law said:
chris98251":2sej9law said:
six sigma":2sej9law said:

Fullback is interesting....but TENNIS? Damn! Must be athletic.

Tennis means he had decent balance and feet if he was any good.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":fxmg4i5w said:
Marcus Tubbs 2.0? That's what his size seems to suggest.

Oh man, if not for his knees, we would have been in, and won at least 1 more Superbowl. He was an amazing run stuffer!

ivotuk

Reaction score
With a little more knee bend, he could really get off the ball, and get under some pads. I'd hate to change his playing style early on though, it seems that's when players get hurt, is when they are asked to make a big change in their playing styles.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
Seeing some fire about grover stewart now. 330 6' 6benched 38 times had a 4.8 40...Seeing talk he is 4th at Latest even though small school.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Given his rankings at various draft sites I think we're good with a very late round pick or this player may be an interesting UDFA addition.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
After watching a lot of DL tape, I think Henderson may have the biggest "bubble" (ass) in this draft. He moves very well and even though he's a little raw and needs coaching up, I'd think the Seahawks would like to get their hands on him and coach him up to be the NT they can use for years to come. There aren't many men built like him. He could be one they "can't leave the draft without" guys even though he's likely a mid-to-late round prospect. Leverage, size, power, nasty attitude and movement skills are all pretty evident with this guy, I hope we draft him.