Can't pick a CB or OL who you taking in the 1st round?

getnasty

Reaction score
Obvious OL and CB's are on everyone's radar but if you had to take one guy that we have a realistic chance of drafting at 25 that isn't a CB or OL who you going with? I'll go Reddick, Peppers and Corey Davis as guys I would mind seeing.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
getnasty":2q9t23l1 said:
Obvious OL and CB's are on everyone's radar but if you had to take one guy that we have a realistic chance of drafting at 25 that isn't a CB or OL who you going with? I'll go Reddick, Peppers and Corey Davis as guys I would mind seeing.
If you can't go corner or offensive lineman, you gotta go with pocket collapsing DT!

Hawks need inside pressure!

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2yt02r0c said:
getnasty":2yt02r0c said:
If you can't go corner or offensive lineman, you gotta go with pocket collapsing DT!

Hawks need inside pressure!

Would probably be my first choice I just don't like the options at 26

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The best available player who fits the team's athletic parameters

For me, Obi Melifonwu.

There are others but if I can't have a CB, Kevin King, or an OLineman, Garrett Bolles, I want Melifonwu.

If his athleticism shows through as a pro, he's a faster version of Chancellor but perhaps more positionally versatile.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Ideally, I'd go DT, or OLB but I'd be reaching. Hasson Reddick will be long gone and So will Obi Monlifonwu. So, three guys I would consider are:

1) Zay Jones, WR, 9, East Carolina
[youtube]4qwU24kNKQ8[/youtube]

2) Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss
[youtube]1ycq4wdN4m4[/youtube]

3) Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee
[youtube]o1nJwvqEJIY[/youtube]

I love Jones, and I wouldn't hesitate to select him. He might slip to the 30's, so might be fine trading down for him. I would draft Engram and plug him right into the role Kearse occupied. Engram is way faster, and ready to rock. Kamara, not a perfect fit but interesting.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Quick reminder, exclude CB or offensive linemen.

ivotuk

Reaction score
nwHawk":1kg4obzs said:
Quick reminder, exclude CB or offensive linemen.

YOu mean "DBs"? Include safeties?

Zach Cunningham. 34 3/8" Long arms, 35" vertical, 125" broad jump.

Good players from Vanderbilt can often get lost in the mix of strong front-7 options in the SEC,

but linebacker Zach Cunningham deserves national attention.

The former four-star recruit has gained about 30 pounds since entering college while maintaining the athleticism that made him an attractive high school player. Still, Cunningham didn’t receive the big-time offers he probably deserved.

Now at 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds, his size and athleticism compare favorably to the best SEC linebackers, and his on-field performance matches up just as well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/colleg ... -heard-of/

2) Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt

Strengths: Cunningham's reputation as a tackling machine is well-known and that was easily evident on film.

There were times when it would seem he was racking up tackles on every play. His speed is his greatest asset,
and that helps him wrap up opponents from all over the field.

've seen some other online analysts that were not as happy with his tackling technique but I'm not overly concerned. The proof is on film. This man is going to make a ton of tackles. Cunningham isn't a one-dimensional player either.

His coverage ability is excellent. Coaches were so confident in his skills that they would line him up out wide in man coverage against WRs/TEs. Full credit to Cunningham, he held his own in these situations.

I thought he was good against the run as well. You can see him shoot the open gaps and stop a runner immediately.

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2017/2 ... oster-zach

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2558094

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If we can't pick those.

First, trade back and get a 2nd/3rd.

Failing that, I have to assume that the reason we can't get a DB/OL, is because they were all taken. Meaning some serious talent will have slipped that shouldn't have.

I'd probably go pass rusher first. It's not a good year for interior rushers. Unless you're in the top 10, you're pretty much left with JAGs. But it's good for edge guys. Normally you need to be in the top 15 overall to get top quality. In this scenario, a good class is going to be pushed back to the end of R1 because an early and deep run on DBs started around pick #7 overall and didn't stop.

Options:

Derek Barnett
Takk Mckinley
Tim Williams

If LB:

Reddick (Irvin like game changing athleticism. Also extremely good)
Cunningham (Incredibly smooth and instinctive. Sees the field extremely well)
Foster
Watt

I also think this draft has really good WR talent. Not 2014 great. But definitely above average.

Ross (He could be the best route runner in this class. Extremely unique to have that ability and elite NFL speed)
Davis (The size/speed combo Seattle has been yearning for since we cut BMW)
Williams (more of the same. Inconsistency issues dog him though)

I put each of these position groups in order based on who I'd prefer. In this scenario where all top 40 overall CB/OL are taken -- that leaves about 10 players that we should expect to be gone between #8 and #25 overall to still be on the board.

SDHawk

Reaction score
I like Evan Engram.

I would easily trade Jimmy Graham to Cleveland for Joe Thomas and might throw in a 3rd rounder or two.

FAs to target: OLB DeAndre Levy, FS Ladarius Webb

For the draft, DBs I would target: CB Kevin King, CB Ahkello Witherspoon, SS Josh Harvey-Clemons

OL I would target mid to late rounds: RT/OG Adam Bisnowaty, LT Jerry Ugokwe

Sleeper WR: Robert Davis

HawkGA

Reaction score
This isn't a very realistic topic. There isn't a position out there Cable wouldn't consider turning the player into an Olineman.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":d9ptd2h7 said:
This isn't a very realistic topic. There isn't a position out there Cable wouldn't consider turning the player into an Olineman.

Yes, there is...point guard and every position in baseball.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If Malik McDowell is available then he would be DT/DE guy that I would take with the #26 pick (other than OL/CB)

cover-2

Reaction score
My guy is TJ Watt. If Watt is gone then one following;
- the versitle UConn Safety Obi Melifonwu
- Vanderbilt LB Zach Cunningham
- hard hitting, tone setting Florida LB Jarrad Davis
- UCLA DE Takk McKinley

- and if I had to pick a player that is considered a 2nd - 3rd round prospect, whom could be a 1st round pick come draft day... Texas A&M (DE) Daeshon Hall. Hall has great size and length, 6-5 270 lbs, with 35 inch arm length. He had a very good combine, 36 inch vertical (3rd best of the d-lineman), top-8 amongst d-lineman in the short shuttle and 3-cone. His athleticism and fluidity shows up on tape and not just at combine drills.

[youtube]N4YuG129gNw[/youtube]

cover-2

Reaction score
nanomoz":2157zncs said:
Recommended reading for the OP on the Buffalo nickel. The player selected might be kind of a CB/S hybrid.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/the-buffalo-nickel-melifonwu-baker-evans

Coach Carroll used the Big Nickel here before with Atari Bigbie and Jeron Johnson. So it makes sense to go that route if they love a player in the draft to fill that role. Obi and Peppers are the only two I would want to fill that role. Otherwise, I would much rather prefer getting a stud SLB.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Caleb Brantley.

I want a real 3 tech, I want a pocket collapser who can get after the qb. I don't want a late round reach dream or a "freak combine athlete" that hasn't shown a whole lot but a few highlights on youtube, give me a legit stud dt so we can get some pressure on qbs. It'll make every part of our defense better. Our edge rushers benefit, our secondary benefits, our run defense benefits.

if I miss out on him Baker

I want play makers on this defense. If it's not at dt then Bakers versatility and ability to make a play on the ball is another piece we need.

kf3339

Reaction score
The OP said CB or OL, so I also go with Obi from UConn. He looks like the perfect SS who can also play some LB for a year, or two.

This allows us to move on from Kam, if his price to renegotiate is too high. We need youth and speed. Obi has it.