The trade Sherman mock draft

cover-2

Reaction score
Trading Richard Sherman is highly unlikely, but here is a trade that is a win/win for both teams. The Tennessee Titans have two picks in the 1st round, the #5 and #18 picks. The Titans had one of the worst passing defense last year and CB is one of their most pressing needs. They signed Ryan Logan in free agency, but he is not a upper echelon NFL CB.

TRADE:
Titans trade their 1st round pick #5 to the Seahawks.
Seahawks trade Richard Sherman and their 1st round pick #26 to the Titans.

Why this trade makes sense for the Seahawks. At face value this may seem like the Seahawks are on the short end of this trade because they still only have one 1st round pick. Here is my logic, lets say the Seahawks tried to trade up from #26 to #5. Going off the Trade Value Chart, it would take pick #26 and pick #16 to move up to pick #5. So, we obviously don't have the #16 pick, but Sherman equates to pick #16. Or another way to look at the trade, is that we get the 1st round #16 pick for Sherman. John Schneider could trade down from pick #5 to acquire more picks or stay put. I don't want to get too trade happy for this mock, so I'll have us staying at #5.

Why this trade makes sense for the Titans. The Titans get a proven elite CB and yet still have two 1st round picks. With picks #18 and #26 they would still get great value for their top needs, which are WR, TE, or LB.

Okay now to the Seahawks mock draft...

1st round pick #5 (from Titans) - (RB) Leonard Fournette 6-0 240 lbs, LSU: IMO Fournette is the best RB to come out of college since Adrian Peterson. He is the Seahawks prototype RB and if he is still there at pick #5 then he would be too hard for them to pass up.

[youtube]pNZF09X6Nw4[/youtube]

2nd round pick - (CB) Ahkello Witherspoon 6-3 198 lbs, Colorado: Witherspoon or Kevin King are a must get for me in the draft. Witherspoon has the size, length, ball skill, and athleticism that screams Seahawks CB.

[youtube]v84iZchLGzo[/youtube]

3rd round pick - (FS) Marcus Williams 6-1 202 lbs, Utah: Williams is a athletic, ball hawking FS. Last year our defense took a nose dive when Earl Thomas was lost for the season. Williams is a single high FS and could compete for some playing time at CB. Williams is insurance if Earl Thomas decides to retire from football in a year or two.

[youtube]9TbND3Vxg4I[/youtube]

3rd round pick (comp) - (OG) Isaac Asiata 6-3 323 lbs, Utah: Asiata plays with a mean streak and he plays to the echo of the whistle, which is what I love in o-lineman. Asiata looks more athletic on tape than he tested at the combine. Asiata on tape looks more athletic and nimble than the higher rated o-lineman Taylor Moton. While Moton tested better at the combine, its Asiata that proves, on tape, that he is the better athlete.

[youtube]3rhTDXlrxWw[/youtube]

Here is some tape of Asiata vs BYU.
https://youtu.be/IRmhZ-foaqg

3rd round pick (comp) - (LB) Vince Biegel 6-3 246 lbs, Wisconsin: Biegel is a run stopping, high motor SLB. Biegel also bring some pass rush ability coming from the SLB position. Coach Carrol prefers size and length at the LB position and Biegel has that.

[youtube]Jc8uQZkwgBI[/youtube]

6th round pick - (WR) Robert Davis 6-3 219 lbs, Georgia St: Davis is a raw prospect that has size and great athletic ability to intrigue the Seahawks. Davis at his size ran a 4.44 40-yard dash, had a 41 inch vertical jump, and had a 136 inch broad jump. He doesn't look to have good initial quickness off the line, but then again we are talking about 6th round WR's.

[youtube]N0PqnF-q4p8[/youtube]

7th round pick - (DE/DT) Caleb Kidder 6-5 269 lbs, Montana: Kidder was recently worked out by the Seahawks at his Pro Day.

[youtube]vpTkSPHF8YY[/youtube]

penihawk

Reaction score
I like the players you selected but I'm wondering who else is gonna play corner next year? I'm thinking we need to draft 2 early even with a healthy Sherman.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Should that trade happen, I expect we'd move back to #10 or #11. Perhaps package #5 and a third for #10 and #42. May give us a shot at a quality secondary player in the second round. Or give us the ability to even move up more aggressively and get 2 quality secondary players in R2.

And with the #10ish pick, take Bolles.

Fournette would be a big ticket item. I'm not convinced we could give up the potential quality by moving down just enough to still secure a very good player at our position of greatest need (OT).

Giving up Sherman has to result in a big upgrade in two places. Because we'd be giving up an All Pro and a first round quality player at #26. This isn't like the last three drafts where there weren't enough 1st round grade talents to reach our pick.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I like several of your picks, but but I agree with the previous posters.

If they wanted to swap Sherman and our #26 of their 5 and #18 I'm interested. But, we'd still be robbing Peter to pay Paul, however the cap would be in great shape moving forward. Still would need to draft 2 corners this year to contribute right away. Heck, I'm not sure I would really do it.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1iqjqb2f said:
Sherman AND 26 for 5?! Terrible...

:ditto:

Not to mention, why take Fournette when you just signed Lacy? Granted he is no long term lock, but burning the #5 pick is more than a reach for him.

titan3131

Reaction score
not a fan of picking Fournette. I am curious who do you have off the board 1-4 in this scenario?

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
penihawk":3omz2fdd said:
I like the players you selected but I'm wondering who else is gonna play corner next year? I'm thinking we need to draft 2 early even with a healthy Sherman.

I'll start off by saying Sherman this past season has become a malcontent, and his bad vibe can be a bad influence in the locker room especially with younger defensive players. The Patriots have positioned themselves into winning multiple Super Bowls by trading away elite players away while they still were in their prime. I have complete confidence in our GM's prior draft history that he could make the most out of the draft picks or pick that is acquired for Sherman.

Witherspoon the 2nd round pick would start day 1, then the 3rd round pick Marcus Williams has the athletic ability to compete at CB as a rookie. Williams not only is highly athletic but he has the ball skills that Coach Carroll wants with his CB's.

For me I would be comfortable with Williams competing with our current CB's for a starting spot. But, Williams could be swapped out for a true CB like a West Virginia Rasul Douglas, whom is not nearly as athletic as Williams.

Also, we do still have Jeremy Lane who may be able to step up and win a starting CB spot.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Trade Sherman?
Maybe, however it would most likely only occur as a draft day trade, IF AT ALL IMO.
Reasons to trade him: (1) $22 million in next 2 years, (2) AGE, approaching 30, (3) with 2 years
remaining on his contract = best time to trade and get the most in return. (4) His mouth.

Hypothetical Trade: Richard Sherman to Cleveland could net: #33, #108 & #145,
trade value chart= 33/580, 108/78, 145/33.5 = 691.5 = the equivilent of a late 1-st round pick.
Cleveland motivation? get one of best DB's in NFL to build their defense around, they have lots of picks to do so.
Leaving the Seahawks with: #'s: 26, 33, 58, 90, 102, 106, 108, 145 210, 226.
That totals 7 picks of the 83 players remaining in the top 108 after pick 25.

The extra pick at #33 is a valuable one as you get to pick first on day two of the draft. Any teams that have fallen in love with a player and want to trade up has up to 24 hours to get on the phone and beg for a trade. PC/JS would be able to sit back and consider all offers, the results of which could be very productive in terms of what you can get to trade down to the highest bidder. This one pick could produce as many as 3 lower round picks, or more. Note that if they got 3 picks, they would have 6 picks in the first 108 picks and 6 picks in the middle to late rounds, 12 total.

At a minimum, PC/JS would have the flexability to manuever around in the draft, trading up with their picks as required to get the guys they really want rather than taking a lesser prospect. The #26 and #33 maybe could net CB-Kevin King and at a minimum SS Melifonwu or FS-Budda Baker. The trade down option as referenced above also has some merit,

Within this draft their are numerous CB and S options, many that meet Seahawks size, length and athletic metrics. The replacement of Sherman would most likely require that the Seahawks draft at least 4 (or 5) DB's with their draft ammo. Preferably CB/SS, FS/CB in the early to mid rounds + a late round CB and a few UDFA's. Let them all battle it out. IMO, the Seahawks typically struggle in the first 8 games of the season and then get their poop in a pile and finish the last 8 games very well. It seems to be a pattern in past seasons. The reason I mention this is that many will have concerns about the "long learnig curve" of a Seahawk CB, not to mention the perceived problem of having to replace Sherman. I think there are several top notch DB's that will come out of this draft and the Seahawks shoud be in position to land a few. The higher athletic profile is evident in several of the DB's that the Seahawks may draft, thus giving them the pre-season practices and games & half a season to get up to speed and that doesn't seem to be too much to expect.

In any trade, the +'s have to out shine the -'s, maybe this trade would?
:smilingalien:

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":36z1iqre said:
Should that trade happen, I expect we'd move back to #10 or #11. Perhaps package #5 and a third for #10 and #42. May give us a shot at a quality secondary player in the second round. Or give us the ability to even move up more aggressively and get 2 quality secondary players in R2.

And with the #10ish pick, take Bolles.

Fournette would be a big ticket item. I'm not convinced we could give up the potential quality by moving down just enough to still secure a very good player at our position of greatest need (OT).

Giving up Sherman has to result in a big upgrade in two places. Because we'd be giving up an All Pro and a first round quality player at #26. This isn't like the last three drafts where there weren't enough 1st round grade talents to reach our pick.

The great thing about having the #5 pick is the flexibility it would give us to move up and down the draft to target players that we need. I could easily see the Seahawks trading down a bit like you said to get Bolles. Bolles draft stock is all over the place when it comes to former scouts projecting where in the 1st round he will get drafted.

I could see a team like the Jaguars trading up from pick #8 to jump ahead of the Jets, whom are at pick #6, so they could get Fournette. Going off the trade value chart, we would be giving the Jags a bargain by only asking for their #8 and their 3rd round pick. Pick Bolles at #8, then we have a 2nd round pick and four 3rd round picks to maneuver around the draft. Trading our 2nd and the Titans 3rd will get us to the top-5 of the 2nd round, which we could still land a legit prospect. We would still have three 3rd round picks.

I know the scenario is crazy, but hey its the off-season.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
nwHawk":1bfzlbov said:
I like several of your picks, but but I agree with the previous posters.

If they wanted to swap Sherman and our #26 of their 5 and #18 I'm interested. But, we'd still be robbing Peter to pay Paul, however the cap would be in great shape moving forward. Still would need to draft 2 corners this year to contribute right away. Heck, I'm not sure I would really do it.

Well, IMO Peter (our defense) is hella rich. This last year, Peter was the #3 defense in the world and the prior 4 years Peter was the richest man in the world (#1 defense four consecutive years). Paul on the other hand was borderline homeless this past year (22nd ranked offense and 25th ranked rush offense). So for me, yeah I'm good with stealing some from Peter to pay Paul. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1x9xnmgh said:
Hawkfan77":1x9xnmgh said:
Sherman AND 26 for 5?! Terrible...

:ditto:

Not to mention, why take Fournette when you just signed Lacy? Granted he is no long term lock, but burning the #5 pick is more than a reach for him.

I could understand if you made an argument for drafting another position at #5. But, you are in the minority if you think Fournette is a big reach at pick #5.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
titan3131":2y9lpey4 said:
not a fan of picking Fournette. I am curious who do you have off the board 1-4 in this scenario?

As of now I think it could go as follows,
Browns #1 (DE) Myles Garrett
49ers #2 (DE/DT) Solomon Thomas
Bears #3 (S) Jamal Adams
Jags #4 (TE) OJ Howard ,or (S) Malik Hooker, or surprise ! (OG) Forrest Lamp

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":7yvjq77z said:
Trade Sherman?
Maybe, however it would most likely only occur as a draft day trade, IF AT ALL IMO.
Reasons to trade him: (1) $22 million in next 2 years, (2) AGE, approaching 30, (3) with 2 years
remaining on his contract = best time to trade and get the most in return. (4) His mouth.

Hypothetical Trade: Richard Sherman to Cleveland could net: #33, #108 & #145,
trade value chart= 33/580, 108/78, 145/33.5 = 691.5 = the equivilent of a late 1-st round pick.
Cleveland motivation? get one of best DB's in NFL to build their defense around, they have lots of picks to do so.
Leaving the Seahawks with: #'s: 26, 33, 58, 90, 102, 106, 108, 145 210, 226.
That totals 7 picks of the 83 players remaining in the top 108 after pick 25.

The extra pick at #33 is a valuable one as you get to pick first on day two of the draft. Any teams that have fallen in love with a player and want to trade up has up to 24 hours to get on the phone and beg for a trade. PC/JS would be able to sit back and consider all offers, the results of which could be very productive in terms of what you can get to trade down to the highest bidder. This one pick could produce as many as 3 lower round picks, or more. Note that if they got 3 picks, they would have 6 picks in the first 108 picks and 6 picks in the middle to late rounds, 12 total.

At a minimum, PC/JS would have the flexability to manuever around in the draft, trading up with their picks as required to get the guys they really want rather than taking a lesser prospect. The #26 and #33 maybe could net CB-Kevin King and at a minimum SS Melifonwu or FS-Budda Baker. The trade down option as referenced above also has some merit,

Within this draft their are numerous CB and S options, many that meet Seahawks size, length and athletic metrics. The replacement of Sherman would most likely require that the Seahawks draft at least 4 (or 5) DB's with their draft ammo. Preferably CB/SS, FS/CB in the early to mid rounds + a late round CB and a few UDFA's. Let them all battle it out. IMO, the Seahawks typically struggle in the first 8 games of the season and then get their poop in a pile and finish the last 8 games very well. It seems to be a pattern in past seasons. The reason I mention this is that many will have concerns about the "long learnig curve" of a Seahawk CB, not to mention the perceived problem of having to replace Sherman. I think there are several top notch DB's that will come out of this draft and the Seahawks shoud be in position to land a few. The higher athletic profile is evident in several of the DB's that the Seahawks may draft, thus giving them the pre-season practices and games & half a season to get up to speed and that doesn't seem to be too much to expect.

In any trade, the +'s have to out shine the -'s, maybe this trade would?
:smilingalien:

I responded to Attyla about trading down from #5 to acquire more picks. Yours is another legit scenario, but IMO we need to get legit special talent for our run game. Those special talents to help fix our run game are Bolles or Fournette.

IMO the long learning curve for our CB's is a bit overrated. Yes there is a learning curve, but with most positions there is a learning curve. Sherman started as a rookie, he was not exactly a stud coming out of college. Then Brandon Browner started his first year with us. Yeah there were other CB's behind them, but those CB's didn't start because Sherman and Browner had a firm hold on the starting spots. That said, we need to come out of the draft with either Kevin King or Ahkello Witherspoon.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I like Marcus Williams, but coming from a single high FS system, I look at him as a potential Earl replacement if Thomas retires.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Excellent post, and great points. Love yours too Camano.

I could really get behind Fournette. I don't trust Lacy to start healthy, or trim. And Leonard could put us over the top with the running game. And that's where it all starts.

Defense fell off some this year, partly because the offense struggled. Why did the O struggle? We couldn't keep our RBs healthy. Fournette is a MAN, and would punish opposing defenses. OUr defense would take the field fully rested, a lot of the times, with a lead.

KillerB

Reaction score
Fun concept, good post. Plenty to think about. While I generally agree with the bunch saying I wouldn't do this for Fournette, I *would* do something similar to get #5 and then trade down a bit. Get 2-3 guys out of it.

randomation

Reaction score
Only way we should give up the 26 is for the second pick the 5 straight up for Sherman would be palatable but for the 26 it should be a pick swap with their second then we can move down from 5 to 8 still get Bolles or Ram and possibly get King at their 2nd first rounder.