Who do we not want to get?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Of the positions likely to be drafted in the first round (OT, CB, DT, SS, FS, etc) and of the players likely to be drafted in the first round, who are some names that if the Seahakws pick will make you go "UGH!"?

DJrmb

Reaction score
For me it's Jabrill Peppers. I just don't see a position for him on the Seahawks. I understand he's an excellent athlete but that's not everything (Taylor Mays was a crazy athlete too). From what I've seen on tape, coverage is just something that is never going to be Peppers strength. Sure there are things that can be taught and learned but in my opinion a huge part of covering as a DB is instincts and that's not something that can be taught.

This isn't to say I wouldn't want Peppers on the team at all. I think Pete is a master at finding the best position for athletic freaks like Peppers. Most of my distaste for drafting Peppers comes from the likelihood of having to draft him in the 1st round to get him. I think Peppers as a 1st or 2nd round pick for Seattle is a bad idea for the simple fact that we need those top picks for players that you know are going to fill specific holes. If somehow Peppers is available in the 3rd and we take a flier I'm fine with that. I know that's not going to happen though in all likelihood because some other team in a different situation with more time to experiment with Peppers will likely pull the trigger much earlier.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Malik McDowell
Charles Harris
Adoree Jackson
Cam Robinson
Carl Lawson
Montravius Adams
Jarrad Davis
Zach Cunningham

Figure a lot of these names are actually going R2. But our R1 drafts always seems to cull from that range of players (Irvin, Richardson, Ifedi). No real opinion on Peppers, who could fall there. Just don't see him as matching the physical prototype we seek in our DBs. He'd have to be great as a defender for us to choose him despite that and his almost total absence of production doesn't imply that he is that.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
We've got no shot at him, but I just can't shake the feeling that Leonard Fournette is going to be underwhelming as a pro.

cover-2

Reaction score
Here is my list...
RB Christian McCaffrey
RB Davlin Cook
OT Ryan Ramczyk
OT Cam Robinson
DT Malik McDowell
TE David Njoku
DE Carl Lawson
RB Alvin Kamara

ivotuk

Reaction score
Malik McDowell doesn't love football, just wants to get paid. Maybe another Quinton Coples. So glad we picked Bruce Irvin.

Adoree Jackson overrated because he plays at USC

Cam Robinson not a first round talent, think James Carpenter

Christian McCaffrey...his father was an NFL player...but I worry that the NFL may be too much of a jump in physicality. I can't put my finger on it, but I have this feeling that he will be injury prone in the NFL.

Torn on Dalvin Cook, I think he's a poor man's LT or Faulk, but there's the off the field and injury stuff.

I can kind of relate to Ramczyk because of the hip and he wasn't sure if he was a football player, deciding to be a welder out of high school. I've done a lot of welding, it's boring as hell! And breathing the smoke from burning flux will short your life, not to mention those red hot dingleberries going down the front of your shirt, or heaven forbid, pants. Oh, and never "Torch in Tennies" molten slog melts right through the top and glues itself to your foot. One more piece of advice, when doing extensive torching, DO NOT carry a pocket full of strike anywhere matches. 'What the hell is on fire!!!" "YOU ARE!"
I never claimed to be all that bright.

I'm curious about some that others picked, Zach Cunningham? I thought he has looked really good. Reasons?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Remember a similar thread last year? I I think everybody had Nkemdiche on their shit list.

"So what's going to be your first purchase when you get paid?"
" I'm going to get a black leopard. I know they're dangerous, but I can handle him."
"What if your team says no?"
"I'll still get one"

dadof3

Reaction score
ivotuk":39ubx4y4 said:
Malik McDowell doesn't love football, just wants to get paid. Maybe another Quinton Coples. So glad we picked Bruce Irvin.

Adoree Jackson overrated because he plays at USC

Cam Robinson not a first round talent, think James Carpenter

Christian McCaffrey...his father was an NFL player...but I worry that the NFL may be too much of a jump in physicality. I can't put my finger on it, but I have this feeling that he will be injury prone in the NFL.

Torn on Dalvin Cook, I think he's a poor man's LT or Faulk, but there's the off the field and injury stuff.

I can kind of relate to Ramczyk because of the hip and he wasn't sure if he was a football player, deciding to be a welder out of high school. I've done a lot of welding, it's boring as hell! And breathing the smoke from burning flux will short your life, not to mention those red hot dingleberries going down the front of your shirt, or heaven forbid, pants. Oh, and never "Torch in Tennies" molten slog melts right through the top and glues itself to your foot. One more piece of advice, when doing extensive torching, DO NOT carry a pocket full of strike anywhere matches. 'What the hell is on fire!!!" "YOU ARE!"
I never claimed to be all that bright.

I'm curious about some that others picked, Zach Cunningham? I thought he has looked really good. Reasons?
I'm curious why you think that about McCaffrey. Was he injured a lot in college? He looks built pretty stout to me, and he's got the bloodlines. I think he'll be a helluva player.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I actually really like Adore Jackson and could see him in Seattle.

For me its Robinson. He may end up being a stud but using a 1st on him just scares me to death with our track record of lineman.

Tical21

Reaction score
McCaffrey. Too small and not fast enough to translate to the NFL.

Kevin King if it is in the first round.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3ie24jom said:
Remember a similar thread last year? I I think everybody had Nkemdiche on their shit list.

"So what's going to be your first purchase when you get paid?"
" I'm going to get a black leopard. I know they're dangerous, but I can handle him."
"What if your team says no?"
"I'll still get one"

I recall a buttload people up in arms that he wasn't selected by the Hawks.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Found this article by a Texans writer/fan

By: Jeff Risdon | March 18, 2017 3:36 pm ET

Cam Robinson, offensive tackle, Alabama

The 6-foot-6 and well-proportioned Robinson is heralded for being an instant impact starter for the perennial national title contenders, but he’s got a couple of strikes against him as a pro.

First, he was great as a freshman. The problem is his game has developed very little over his three years in Tuscaloosa. He still has the same tendency to drop his head and eyes as he approaches engagement. He still bends at the waist and overreaches for speedier rushers to his outside shoulder. Robinson sometimes needs an extra half-step in his kick to get out wide, too.

Second, he’s consistently inconsistent. There are times where he looks like an absolute top-10 overall lock, especially when edges try to bull him or when he down blocks. His good tape is dominant. But it also ebbs and flows, and his bad tape makes you wonder how he gets so much buzz. There’s an off-field incident to answer for, too .

Robinson could wind up being a very good starting left tackle, but there is enough risk involved that he’s not worth the reach at No. 25

Davis Webb, quarterback, California

This one seems self-evident, but Webb is getting quite a bit of run from the national draft media as a potential first-round pick.

Being the Senior Bowl MVP and voted most outstanding quarterback in practice will do that for a guy. A good week in Alabama against defenses which can’t blitz and are limited in coverage schemes is a dangerous elevator.

It’s important to remember why Webb wound up at Cal. He lost his job at Texas Tech to Patrick Mahomes. Cal’s offense didn’t prepare last year’s No.1 overall pick Jared Goff for the NFL, and the paltry 6.9 yards per attempt despite a high completion rate of 62 percent shows his strong arm doesn’t necessarily equate to downfield success.

If Webb is available in the second round, he’d make for a more rational consideration. At No. 25 or even No. 32, no thanks

Charles Harris, edge rusher, Missouri

Harris is the latest in a line of productive Tigers edge rushers. Most have not met the hype level in NFL, and Harris’s relative athleticism really puts him behind the curve.

That’s not impressive. Harris thrived at Mizzou on snap anticipation and catching the blocker at a timing disadvantage. That’s a lot tougher to do at the next level.

Takkarist McKinley, edge, UCLA

McKinley is an accomplished rusher with some versatility to his pass rush. On the field, he was pretty darn effective at both setting the edge and exploding around it to the quarterback.

The problem with McKinley is he just had shoulder surgery. He put the surgery off until after the NFL Scouting Combine so he could work out. That’s admirable in the short-term, but it directly impedes his rookie season.

In a draft class deep at his position, the proposition of not having a first-round pick for the entire training camp and likely into the season as he recovers from surgery is simply not one the Texans should entertain.

http://texanswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/ ... rst-round/

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":17wakorg said:

I like Cunningham. Very instinctual.

As an athlete relative to other LBs, he's kind of average. A shade above average.

In a normal draft year where maybe 15 guys have R1 grades, I'd probably be on board. But if you compare him with the talent in this draft ... then no.

If we liked him and we traded back to the mid 50s to get him, I'd be ok. The OP though asserted an R1 pick. To take an otherwise unspectacular LB in a draft with elite athletes at other positions of greater need for us -- I'd be seriously bummed.

For me:

Comparative value
Need
General difficulty to acquire

are the main factors. You can get 60th percentile LBs in the 50-80 overall range of basically every draft. If it's a historically great draft class and you pick up a player of that pedigree, you're going backwards relative to your competitors. And if you address an area of lesser need with a more mundane prospect -- you're doubling up on that handicap.

EDIT:

I think if you're looking at LB possibilities, you're probably beginning and ending with Reddick or Watt in R1. Those are elite NFL athletes. One of which (maybe both) assuredly will be on the board there.

A-Dog

Reaction score
A first round offensive lineman

Any offensive positions other than TE in the first three rounds, really, unless someone great drops in our lap

Largent80

Reaction score
Offensively, this draft is as MEH as it gets, except maybe RB.

Defensively is a drool fest.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I'll probably take some heat, but...

RB Davlin Cook
OT Ryan Ramczyk
OT Cam Robinson
DE Chris Harris
FS Budda Baker

Josea16

Reaction score
Keapernick? Basically nothing on offense unless we have to because the actual decent guys dropped. Maybe a running back though.:)

I'm really starting to like Lacy as a bell cow back, especially if someone actually good is pushing to be his ass already.es. All the better if he's an ML that prefers...no talk.... just walk. Especially if he's okay with talking at least a little.

I'm good with athletes mostly not talking with the media. Especially not the truth. I have a huge middle ground that ML could have done but that isn't ML. Eddie Lacy doesn't have that pass unless he proves it like ML. I know he can, but he has to do it in game.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
A-Dog":3tuw752h said:
A first round offensive lineman

Any offensive positions other than TE in the first three rounds, really, unless someone great drops in our lap

this about nails it.

this draft lines up in our wheelhouse. JS and PC know defensive talent and they have lots to go after so don't reach to plug holes, take what the draft is giving you.

Latest posts