Possible Seahawk Draft Shockers ?

Largent80

Reaction score
I got to thinking about current players and their contracts, and also how they played last year, and looking at players in this draft and the possibility of the Hawks bucking some trends and looking towards the future to replace said player.

I was specifically looking at Lane. He played roughly 70% of snaps in the season, the only other players with more were our core players. So with nickle being used so much would the Hawks gamble on athleticism and bang for the buck?

They have an arm length thing so this choice of mine that I am intrigued about doesn't quite make 32"...He is 31 1/8" arms, but his athleticism, speed and ability to bait QB's is astonishing. He also is a holy terror returning kicks, and his name is Adoree' Jackson, hardly an unknown, but there are several good choices in his area of expertise.
Like Budda Baker, Chidobe Awuzie, Fabian Moreau, Howard Wilson etc.

I know many people here would scream Budda Baker, but I really like Jackson.

Anyone else have someone, or comment on my choice?

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
I am going to say TE David Njoku out of Miami. The interest in Jarrod Cook may speak to their dissatisfaction with where the position group is today (despite the drafting of Vannett last year). He is an elite athlete at the position and if he pans out, could replace Graham once he is ready to move on in 1-2 years.

Side Note: Why would anyone be considered a homer for liking Baker? He is a legit prospect that could fill in at many DB positions, and is consistently viewed as an R2-3 talent.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
What's not to like about Baker?....I used homer because of the obvious Huskie bias on this forum.

Also, I think them resigning Willson for this year negates the need for TE for at least this year as you said, they drafted Vannett last year who barely played.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
So if someone thinks Baker would be a good choice they're a homer? Ok

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":179kb73u said:
What's not to like about Baker?....I used homer because of the obvious Huskie bias on this forum.

Also, I think them resigning Willson for this year negates the need for TE for at least this year as you said, they drafted Vannett last year who barely played.

Got it, I probably read too much into the statement so thanks for clarifying. Sorry to distract from an otherwise interesting topic.

It would shock me if they drafted a TE considering other moves, but I think that is the point you were trying to get to right? A move we may not anticipate because logically it isn't obvious.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Zay Harding, Wide Receiver.

This team "seems" like it has plenty of depth at WR, but does it really? After ADB and Graham, who out there is as dependable health-wise and catch percentage wise?

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Plus Kearse is probably playing his last year in Seattle. We are going to have to think about the men we draft as replacements and some even as starters.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1vjxht3x said:
They have an arm length thing so this choice of mine that I am intrigued about doesn't quite make 32"...He is 31 1/8" arms, but his athleticism, speed and ability to bait QB's is astonishing. He also is a holy terror returning kicks, and his name is Adoree' Jackson, hardly an unknown, but there are several good choices in his area of expertise.

I could see Seattle taking him in the third round. Maybe even moving up to get him.

Seattle has shown to be pretty formulaic in their drafts:

R1/R2: Elite athletes with ALL of the measurables. No exceptions.

R3/R4: Willing to deviate a bit and will move up if need be (Lockett, Wilson, Wright, Durham, Odhiambo, Norwood).

R5+: Back to elite testers who are raw/have flaws.

Basically, Jackson would be the first guy in the top two frames who wasn't ideal from a measurables and testing perspective. So I think the likelihood of him getting taken is very slim. If we had urgent need at the position (like 2011), or the pool was extremely shallow with alternatives -- then the chances could be better. Neither of those circumstances are at play here.

And I should stress, this is a very strong Seattle philosophy and has been hinted at throughout the PCJS tenure. This FO believes that sacrificing standards early in the draft is a fundamental and core reason why teams bust on players. We seemingly go to ridiculous lengths to avoid 'falling in love' with a particular prospect. When you do that, you reach for players, trade up needlessly in fear someone else will take them, and generally close yourself to information in the evaluation process. Pete is big on 'getting all the information'. And I think the one time we did somewhat fall in love with a player (Richardson), we got semi burned for it. Although to their credit, we did move back twice and still get him.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Thanks Attyla, I always like your posts. I was considering Jackson as the slot DB and Lane is probably in his last year here. I'm not so sure the measurables are as important for that position.

PLUS Jackson can run back kicks, even though we have Lockett, what a 1....2 punch they would be.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Largent80":2v1zdkic said:

The funny thing to me is that I confuse Baker and Jabril Peppers so when you were saying homer, I was thinking "how would somebody be a homer for a Michigan player?" Then I realized I must be the wrong one and had to figure out what was going on . . .

chris98251

Reaction score
Want to see shock, Seahawks take Mixon, fans shocked, league shocked Mixon shocked when he says they never even talked to me.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I just really hope we don't reach for someone in the first like we did with Bruce Irvin. Dude was a great role player and set the edge really well, but unfortunately never really produced at a first round level IMO.

I like the idea of taking Mixon. I could see us taking a top TE, WR or RB talent and the majority of fans and the league saying "WTF? They already have Jimmy Graham (or Lacy, ADB, Rawls, Prosise, etc.)." I think that only happens, though, if the guys we like for OL and DB are taken before we get a shot.

penihawk

Reaction score
For me I don't really have a name here but the hawks moving up in the first would be a shocker for me.

penihawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":16hveiu6 said:

This team "seems" like it has plenty of depth at WR, but does it really? After ADB and Graham, who out there is as dependable health-wise and catch percentage wise?

I'm guessing you are talking about Zay Jones?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
penihawk":3psk6fq8 said:
ivotuk":3psk6fq8 said:

Same. And yes, I think Zay Jones is one of those guys that I could see as a realistic shocker candidate.

Not because he's not worth picking early. But from a need perspective and from a 'Pete never mentioned WR upgrades even once' perspective.

kobebryant

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3j53xupf said:
I just really hope we don't reach for someone in the first like we did with Bruce Irvin. Dude was a great role player and set the edge really well, but unfortunately never really produced at a first round level IMO.

I think Bruce has shown to be one of the 30 or so best players from that draft.

ivotuk

Reaction score
penihawk":5tx6wv79 said:
ivotuk":5tx6wv79 said:

Thank you. I have no idea where i got Harding. I really like Zay after seeing him play in the Senior Bowl.

I love this quote from the ebonybird article about him (link below)

"Jones had 158 receptions for 1,746 yards and eight touchdowns in the 2016 season. In this NFL Draft class there is no better receiver in terms of yards after the catch"

Some links to Zay (Man I love youtube video download :p good thing I have a TB driver)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap ... -failed-TD

[youtube]W0S2Uziz4U8[/youtube]

[youtube]Ko1Cq8BPAgU[/youtube]

[youtube]4qwU24kNKQ8[/youtube]

[youtube]8Q_tRVJCR3E[/youtube]

Month Old stories..

http://ebonybird.com/2017/02/08/nfl-dra ... es-wr-ecu/

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017 ... ver-eagles

nwHawk

Reaction score
I've mentioned Zay Jones before, and I really think he's going to be great.

Zay comes from a solid football family. His Dad was picked as a 1st Rd LB (Dallas) and played 10 years. Earned 3 rings during the 90's. Older brother just hit the NFL last year, and his younger brother is going to USC next year.

Growing up in Texas, surrounded by NFL players and sons he had to go to East Carolina to play college ball. That Texas snubbed him, gives him a bit of a chip (Seahawky). Played his first 3 years as a slot receiver, and then his coach realized that he needed to move him outside so the NFL would recognize him. His first year outside he put up Madden like numbers. Solid hands, and big catch radius.

Frankly, I'd take him at 26 in a New York minute. I think he'll end up better than Mike Williams, and he's a great fit for how we would use him. Tough, and fast.