Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Possible Seahawk Draft Shockers ?

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Possible Seahawk Draft Shockers ?
Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:41 am
  • I got to thinking about current players and their contracts, and also how they played last year, and looking at players in this draft and the possibility of the Hawks bucking some trends and looking towards the future to replace said player.

I was specifically looking at Lane. He played roughly 70% of snaps in the season, the only other players with more were our core players. So with nickle being used so much would the Hawks gamble on athleticism and bang for the buck?

They have an arm length thing so this choice of mine that I am intrigued about doesn't quite make 32"...He is 31 1/8" arms, but his athleticism, speed and ability to bait QB's is astonishing. He also is a holy terror returning kicks, and his name is Adoree' Jackson, hardly an unknown, but there are several good choices in his area of expertise.
    Like Budda Baker, Chidobe Awuzie, Fabian Moreau, Howard Wilson etc.

I know many people here would scream Budda Baker, but I really like Jackson.

Anyone else have someone, or comment on my choice?
    Last edited by Largent80 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Possible Seahawk Draft Shockers ?
Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:32 am
  • I am going to say TE David Njoku out of Miami. The interest in Jarrod Cook may speak to their dissatisfaction with where the position group is today (despite the drafting of Vannett last year). He is an elite athlete at the position and if he pans out, could replace Graham once he is ready to move on in 1-2 years.

Side Note: Why would anyone be considered a homer for liking Baker? He is a legit prospect that could fill in at many DB positions, and is consistently viewed as an R2-3 talent.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:42 am
  • What's not to like about Baker?....I used homer because of the obvious Huskie bias on this forum.

Also, I think them resigning Willson for this year negates the need for TE for at least this year as you said, they drafted Vannett last year who barely played.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:49 am
  • So if someone thinks Baker would be a good choice they're a homer? Ok
    GREEDY PUNK PAUL ALLEN, THIS LOSS IS ON YOU.
    "I don't give a crap WHAT you gotta pay, Kam is worth it and I don't want to lose a shot at another SB cuz you - a freaking BILLIONAIRE, are cheapskating Kam over a freaking $900,000.
    You cheapskate."
    SalishHawkFan SEP 13, 2015 1:47 PM
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:53 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:So if someone thinks Baker would be a good choice they're a homer? Ok

I already addressed that in my last post. Read much?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:00 am
  • Largent80 wrote:What's not to like about Baker?....I used homer because of the obvious Huskie bias on this forum.

Also, I think them resigning Willson for this year negates the need for TE for at least this year as you said, they drafted Vannett last year who barely played.

Got it, I probably read too much into the statement so thanks for clarifying. Sorry to distract from an otherwise interesting topic.

It would shock me if they drafted a TE considering other moves, but I think that is the point you were trying to get to right? A move we may not anticipate because logically it isn't obvious.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:39 am
  • Zay Harding, Wide Receiver.

This team "seems" like it has plenty of depth at WR, but does it really? After ADB and Graham, who out there is as dependable health-wise and catch percentage wise?
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:04 am
  • Plus Kearse is probably playing his last year in Seattle. We are going to have to think about the men we draft as replacements and some even as starters.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:10 am
  • Largent80 wrote:They have an arm length thing so this choice of mine that I am intrigued about doesn't quite make 32"...He is 31 1/8" arms, but his athleticism, speed and ability to bait QB's is astonishing. He also is a holy terror returning kicks, and his name is Adoree' Jackson, hardly an unknown, but there are several good choices in his area of expertise.

I could see Seattle taking him in the third round. Maybe even moving up to get him.

Seattle has shown to be pretty formulaic in their drafts:

R1/R2: Elite athletes with ALL of the measurables. No exceptions.

R3/R4: Willing to deviate a bit and will move up if need be (Lockett, Wilson, Wright, Durham, Odhiambo, Norwood).

R5+: Back to elite testers who are raw/have flaws.

Basically, Jackson would be the first guy in the top two frames who wasn't ideal from a measurables and testing perspective. So I think the likelihood of him getting taken is very slim. If we had urgent need at the position (like 2011), or the pool was extremely shallow with alternatives -- then the chances could be better. Neither of those circumstances are at play here.

And I should stress, this is a very strong Seattle philosophy and has been hinted at throughout the PCJS tenure. This FO believes that sacrificing standards early in the draft is a fundamental and core reason why teams bust on players. We seemingly go to ridiculous lengths to avoid 'falling in love' with a particular prospect. When you do that, you reach for players, trade up needlessly in fear someone else will take them, and generally close yourself to information in the evaluation process. Pete is big on 'getting all the information'. And I think the one time we did somewhat fall in love with a player (Richardson), we got semi burned for it. Although to their credit, we did move back twice and still get him.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:15 am
  • Thanks Attyla, I always like your posts. I was considering Jackson as the slot DB and Lane is probably in his last year here. I'm not so sure the measurables are as important for that position.

PLUS Jackson can run back kicks, even though we have Lockett, what a 1....2 punch they would be.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:08 am
  • Largent80 wrote:What's not to like about Baker?....I used homer because of the obvious Huskie bias on this forum.

The funny thing to me is that I confuse Baker and Jabril Peppers so when you were saying homer, I was thinking "how would somebody be a homer for a Michigan player?" Then I realized I must be the wrong one and had to figure out what was going on . . .
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:30 am
  • Want to see shock, Seahawks take Mixon, fans shocked, league shocked Mixon shocked when he says they never even talked to me.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:13 am
  • I just really hope we don't reach for someone in the first like we did with Bruce Irvin. Dude was a great role player and set the edge really well, but unfortunately never really produced at a first round level IMO.

I like the idea of taking Mixon. I could see us taking a top TE, WR or RB talent and the majority of fans and the league saying "WTF? They already have Jimmy Graham (or Lacy, ADB, Rawls, Prosise, etc.)." I think that only happens, though, if the guys we like for OL and DB are taken before we get a shot.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:20 am
  • For me I don't really have a name here but the hawks moving up in the first would be a shocker for me.
    penihawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:45 am
  • ivotuk wrote:Zay Harding, Wide Receiver.

This team "seems" like it has plenty of depth at WR, but does it really? After ADB and Graham, who out there is as dependable health-wise and catch percentage wise?

I'm guessing you are talking about Zay Jones?
    penihawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:49 am
  • penihawk wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Zay Harding, Wide Receiver.

Same. And yes, I think Zay Jones is one of those guys that I could see as a realistic shocker candidate.

Not because he's not worth picking early. But from a need perspective and from a 'Pete never mentioned WR upgrades even once' perspective.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:48 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:I just really hope we don't reach for someone in the first like we did with Bruce Irvin. Dude was a great role player and set the edge really well, but unfortunately never really produced at a first round level IMO.

I think Bruce has shown to be one of the 30 or so best players from that draft.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:36 pm
  • penihawk wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Zay Harding, Wide Receiver.

Thank you. I have no idea where i got Harding. I really like Zay after seeing him play in the Senior Bowl.

I love this quote from the ebonybird article about him (link below)

"Jones had 158 receptions for 1,746 yards and eight touchdowns in the 2016 season. In this NFL Draft class there is no better receiver in terms of yards after the catch"

Some links to Zay (Man I love youtube video download :p good thing I have a TB driver)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap ... -failed-TD

Month Old stories..

http://ebonybird.com/2017/02/08/nfl-dra ... es-wr-ecu/

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017 ... ver-eagles

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:43 pm
  • My other guy that I love, Derek Barnett. Hard worker, does a lot of little stuff that he doesn't get credit for, relentless, and good.

6.96 second 3-cone

4.88 - 40

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557984

After watching his Nebraska game, I think he's my new favorite DL (within range).

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:49 pm
  • I've mentioned Zay Jones before, and I really think he's going to be great.

Zay comes from a solid football family. His Dad was picked as a 1st Rd LB (Dallas) and played 10 years. Earned 3 rings during the 90's. Older brother just hit the NFL last year, and his younger brother is going to USC next year.

Growing up in Texas, surrounded by NFL players and sons he had to go to East Carolina to play college ball. That Texas snubbed him, gives him a bit of a chip (Seahawky). Played his first 3 years as a slot receiver, and then his coach realized that he needed to move him outside so the NFL would recognize him. His first year outside he put up Madden like numbers. Solid hands, and big catch radius.

Frankly, I'd take him at 26 in a New York minute. I think he'll end up better than Mike Williams, and he's a great fit for how we would use him. Tough, and fast.
    Last edited by nwHawk on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:01 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Thanks Attyla, I always like your posts. I was considering Jackson as the slot DB and Lane is probably in his last year here. I'm not so sure the measurables are as important for that position.

PLUS Jackson can run back kicks, even though we have Lockett, what a 1....2 punch they would be.

See Cam Sutton plus checks boxes.
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:44 pm
  • My Seahawks draft shocker is Pittsburgh OG Dorian Johnson. Johnson is 6-5 300 lbs, with 35 inch arm length. Johnson played OG in college but he has the length and athleticism to compete at LT or RT. Johnson was the #2 OT coming out of high school and right now he is projected as a 2nd round prospect. I haven't seen him linked to any NFL team visits, so who knows. If the draft board doesn't fall our way, then Johnson is my shocker.

cover-2
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:39 pm
  • Day 2 of this draft will shape the Hawks for the future. Not a shocker.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm
  • Even though many think of him as a 2nd round pick, I'm starting to think the Hawks are gonna' draft Kevin King in the first round.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:04 am
  • Brad Kaaya in the 3rd
    Blaze808
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:42 am
  • Blaze808 wrote:Brad Kaaya in the 3rd

Okay, that was funny! An UDFA in the 3rd! :rofl:

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:26 am
  • Not exactly a shocker but Joe Mixon in the 2nd. It's a real possibility
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:54 pm
  • If a player like Takkarist McKinley or Jarrad Davis falls to #26 the Hawks might shock some people and select him.

This draft has about 20 legit first round picks. If one of those defensive players falls to the Hawks I expect them to take him. If there is a QB there that another team covets the Hawks will have an interesting decision to make.

Last year JS said they had the largest draftable list ever for them. I expect that list to be smaller this year and dominated by defensive players.

A shocker for me would be the Hawks taking an offensive player in round one.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:29 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Thanks Attyla, I always like your posts. I was considering Jackson as the slot DB and Lane is probably in his last year here. I'm not so sure the measurables are as important for that position.

He also is a weapon on offense who can be used on occasion.

I don't know how Adoree will do as a corner. His size may very well limit him—or not. But he has those special qualities Pete talks about finding in guys, so I could see the Hawks potentially taking him.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:26 am
  • I can't think of anything that would shock me other than RB. I wouldn't even be shocked if they took Mahomes at 26. We can use depth at every position, but having four RBs would make another RB pick seem like a waste.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:56 pm
  • kobebryant wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:I just really hope we don't reach for someone in the first like we did with Bruce Irvin. Dude was a great role player and set the edge really well, but unfortunately never really produced at a first round level IMO.

Agree. Look at that 1st rd and tell me who was available that would've made Irvin look like a bad pick. Chandler Jones is all I can see.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:15 pm
  • EverydayImRusselin wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:I just really hope we don't reach for someone in the first like we did with Bruce Irvin. Dude was a great role player and set the edge really well, but unfortunately never really produced at a first round level IMO.

Agree. Look at that 1st rd and tell me who was available that would've made Irvin look like a bad pick. Chandler Jones is all I can see.

The guy that Philly traded up to get, forget his name, but a very good DT.

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:07 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    EverydayImRusselin wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:

The guy that Philly traded up to get, forget his name, but a very good DT.

Fletcher Cox

I was absolutely smitten with him. And didn't figure he'd fall to us at 12. When he did, I was so ready to hear his name. I was mainly posting on the Blue at that time and posted a pretty epic alcohol infused rant there. And then to get Bruce instead -- I felt not unlike when we drafted Aaron Curry. At that time I felt PCJS didn't have a clue what they were doing.

But I remember liking Bobby Wagner a lot (although liked Mychal Kendricks more). So when we traded down with the exact same team twice. That stung.

Also was really excited for Wilson. I didn't figure we'd go QB that year due to Flynn's signing. So already had it in my head that we weren't going to get him. So when we did draft him, I thought that was awesome.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 am
  • I think there is a possibility that we could be shocked by whomever they take with the first pick. They have the freedom to take bpa, and I am very interested who that will be after 25 guys are off the board.
    Click the link, I dare you! You will love it!!!!
    https://youtu.be/RTycAlWhrt8

https://youtu.be/RaqSNpWDyCc
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:49 am
  • I should probably read the thread in case I'm just repeating what someone else has said but I think a wild card in the first round is Corey Davis. He's a complete receiver and our WR while good if healthy, were obviously not healthy. A WR in the first wouldn't shock me.
    austinslater25
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:09 pm
  • Don't look now but the Hawks spent a LOT of time checking out this guy at his Pro Day workout.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:11 pm

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:18 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:They also were looking at Tyus Bowser.

He was my favorite for the 2nd round pick but has risen lately and no way he falls that far.

My wife is friends with Tyus Bowser's mother, we go to the same church.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:41 pm
  • I will be shocked if these happen in order:

1- Hawks DON'T trade their first round pick. How many years in a row now has it been?
    2- They select someone in first round that anyone has linked them to. Remember when we scouted the other Rice Tight End, only to draft double L his teammate?
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 pm
  • I certainly expect the Seahawks to trade down from the first. I would like to see TJ Watt either with
    the native first or a short trade down. Very unlikely though.

More likely is QB Josh Dobbs with the last 3rd rounder. Gruden's QB camp show made him look
    like a viable option.
    "All in the game yo, all in the game"
    Omar Devon Little
    1980-2007
    two dog
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:17 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:I should probably read the thread in case I'm just repeating what someone else has said but I think a wild card in the first round is Corey Davis. He's a complete receiver and our WR while good if healthy, were obviously not healthy. A WR in the first wouldn't shock me.

Davis is being talked up as a potential top 10 pick. If he somehow falls to #26, his selection shouldn't be shocking.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:49 am
  • Milehighhawk wrote:I am going to say TE David Njoku out of Miami. The interest in Jarrod Cook may speak to their dissatisfaction with where the position group is today (despite the drafting of Vannett last year). He is an elite athlete at the position and if he pans out, could replace Graham once he is ready to move on in 1-2 years.

Side Note: Why would anyone be considered a homer for liking Baker? He is a legit prospect that could fill in at many DB positions, and is consistently viewed as an R2-3 talent.

This one wouldn't shock me either. His ceiling is through the roof and it feels like the type of player Pete and John would covet.
    austinslater25
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:40 am
  • two dog wrote:I certainly expect the Seahawks to trade down from the first.

gowazzu02 wrote:I will be shocked if these happen in order:

1- Hawks DON'T trade their first round pick. How many years in a row now has it been?
    2- They select someone in first round that anyone has linked them to.

Actually, I kind of think we're going to move up. Try and get 3 picks in the top 60. Seems there is just too good of talent/value here.

When we've traded back, it's always been marked with the caveat that we have like 12-15 players with first round grades while we're picking in 25-32 overall range. This year, we could see several players that we grade as a first round quality player even lurking around pick 40.

Seattle has moved up when guys we grade highly slip. Whether that's Lockett or Reed or Jefferson. Our moves up generally coincide with players we have graded a half round or better still being on the board.

Would a trade back surprise me? No. But when Schneider says rather bluntly that he doesn't like the depth of this draft compared to last year -- that tells me he's not going to value that extra R4/R5 pick he'll get from trading back. Now we could trade back for 2018 draft picks. But Schneider has been on record as saying he doesn't like dealing for next year's picks. Philosophically, he doesn't like dealing picks when he can't know the value landscape.

So I think both the return of trading back isn't there, as well as the lack of value at staying put or even moving up isn't there. There is a sweet spot in the 25-50 overall range that isn't usually there. And there is a desert of quality after the top 90 that likewise isn't usually there. There will still be guys who blossom in that range. But really it starts to look like the difference between R5 and R8 is almost negligible.

I see us turning our 5 day one and two picks into maybe three.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:11 pm
  • :vodka:
    Rat wrote:
    austinslater25 wrote:I should probably read the thread in case I'm just repeating what someone else has said but I think a wild card in the first round is Corey Davis. He's a complete receiver and our WR while good if healthy, were obviously not healthy. A WR in the first wouldn't shock me.

Davis is being talked up as a potential top 10 pick. If he somehow falls to #26, his selection shouldn't be shocking.

I would be shocked if he went top 10, shocked. I think its more likely he falls out of the first this year with the talent at the other positions. All this to say I've almost just guaranteed a top 10 selection lol.
    austinslater25
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:28 pm
  • Demarcus Walker DE/DT Fla st
    penihawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:40 pm
  • Shocker: Trade up in the first to get Christian McCaffrey.

Unfortunate that the recent buzz has driven up his price, but even before the new hype he will not fall past Elway's Broncos.

RB/WR/KR - can fill in at each and every position with the recent injuries we have had there, and give more time for two RBs and our KR/WR to fully heal before returning.

If he has half of the discipline and toughness his father had, i want him.
    ChiefHawk
    NET Starter

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:29 pm
  • How about a surprise 7-th round pick: This player isn't listed among the 1000-1200 players on cbssports.com rankings. You have to dig really deep to even uncover information on him, A completely UNRANKED player actually being drafted would indeed be a shocker! ---- And, wouldn't you know it - the Seahawks have meet with him, so he's known by scouts.

---CB-Tyler Williams (UNRANKED), Central Arkansas (in the FCS), 6-001/194, 4.52/40, couldn’t find any other #'s.
    2016-Stats: 13-games, 31-tkls, 26-Solo, 2-TFL, *23-PBU*, 4-INT (1 for TD), 1-FF -- This Kid can really cover! Slot=?
    (#1 in FCS with 23-PBU, 2.1/per game (the #2 had 13-PBU.2-INT) - NOTE: Seahawks have met with him.
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:22 pm
  • Dalvin Cook would be a shocker that looks like it might be possible, especially if Lynch goes to Oakland. I realize that the Seahawks have a ton of talent at RB but I'm not sure that any of them are the long term answer.
    naholmes
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 pm
  • draft shocker, hawks don't bother with Obi or King
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:26 am
  • naholmes wrote:Dalvin Cook would be a shocker that looks like it might be possible, especially if Lynch goes to Oakland. I realize that the Seahawks have a ton of talent at RB but I'm not sure that any of them are the long term answer.
    word is that Cook has had some awful meetings and may drop to the tail end of the draft maybe even out of
    It. "High risk"
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information