Late Round, UDFA Prospects?

DJrmb

Reaction score
Joe Mathis is probably going to be undrafted because of his injury and I would love to see him brought in for a look by Seattle. Anyone that watched the Huskies this past season will tell you that the defense took a step back and had to play very different when Mathis got hurt to make up for the loss of his play-making on the field.

Also this draft is so deep in CB/DB there are sure to be some guys that slip through the cracks. Some guys that could go UDFA to keep an eye on:

Tedric Thompson FS/SS Colorado
6'0" - 31 1/2" arms - 204Lbs - 4.60 40time
Thompson is a guy that I don't know exactly where to play. He seems too slow to backup Earl at FS although he did play some single high FS last year and is good at reading plays from there. He needs some work on his tackling and sometimes seems to make the "business decision" in run support going for an arm tackle or to trip a guy up rather than squaring up and hitting. His instincts and awareness are outstanding though. He's always around the ball. He's a play maker with great hands who tends to come up with the ball a lot.

Shaquill Griffin CB UCF
6'0" - 32 3/8" arms - 194Lbs - 4.38 40time
Griffin is someone that wasn't on many teams radar before the combine. After putting up solid numbers and more importantly looking extremely fluid and smooth in his backpedal and transitions he is climbing boards. If he's there late or as a UDFA he's a great project for Nickle corner I think. He reminds me of Jeremy Lane (back when he was good). He's quick more than fast, he doesn't seem to play all the way up to that 4.38 40 he put up on tape getting beat deep at times. He's strong to the ball in both run support and when defensing passes. Solid tackler who wraps up well. Excellent at reading the receiver and getting turned around to play the ball in the air.

Brian Allen CB Utah
6'3" - 34" arms - 215Lbs - 4.48 40time
Allen is a physical guy that looks a bit like a WR playing CB (He came in as a WR). He's great at running with a receiver when he knows the route and uses his length well to make plays on the ball. He struggles in transitioning and staying with the receiver on more complicated routes. Allen is still really raw in learning the position but shows enough athleticism to stick at corner with some coaching. He uses his hands well and his outstanding length in press coverage and seems more comfortable in bump and run than playing off the line. He reminds me a little bit of Brandon Browner and I think he could excel in that type of physical press corner type of role where you can make up for him on longer routes with Earl over the top.

Treston DeCoud CB Oregon St.
6'2" - 33" arms - 206Lbs - 4.62 40time
DeCoud is more polished than some of the other late round guys I mentioned but he's also not quite as athletic. He's got solid instincts in pass coverage and doesn't get fooled by receivers on more complex routes. He does a good job of keeping receivers in front of him to never give up the big play but he needs to learn to use his safety help better. That can make him susceptible to comeback routes. Uses his length well to get up and play the ball in the air. Better in zone coverage than man.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Very nice, thanks for adding those. Here are 2 more:

Julien Davenport Tackle 6'7" 36.5" arms

"He started all 44 games at left tackle in his career with Bucknell, earning all-conference honors each year (second team in 2013, first team from 2014-2016). The Bison's two-time team captain was named first-team All-American teams from multiple outlets in 2016, as well."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557963

Brendan Langley DB 6'0" 32" arms

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2558186

DJrmb

Reaction score
Davenport is really interesting. I think he can definitely play RT in the NFL. I don't know if he's quite athletic enough for LT though. Either way he's an outstanding late round option as a RT possibility.

I don't know if this guy quite qualifies as late round, he's projected in the high 5th round right now.

Ben Braden OG/OT Michigan - 6'6", 34" arms, 329Lbs.

I'm still looking into him but it seems he's mostly played guard. However when he had to move to LT this year because of an injury he looked really good playing in space and actually more comfortable than he looked at Guard to me. He definitely seems to have the athleticism to move to Tackle and while he's not incredibly long the 34" arm length can work at Tackle in the NFL for some guys (Joe Staley 33.5" arms, Terron Armstead 34" arms, Jason Peters 33" arms, Bryan Bulaga 33" arms, Joe Thomas 32.5" arms).

One other Tackle prospect:

Javarius Leamon OT South Carolina State - 6'7", 35.25" arms, 332Lbs

He's a 7th round/UDFA candidate. He was originally signed by Clemson but couldn't make the academics (top 30 national recruit at LT). I think this is a guy that just needs a good conditioning program and weight training. If you could get him to cut down to 315Lbs or so I think he could compete at either tackle position. He flashes decent athleticism especially early in games but seems to carry too much bad weight to realize his full potential and to keep his motor running all game. Of course that could be because he's just not committed to football enough to get/keep his weight down so you want to do your due diligence to make sure he's a guy passionate and hungry enough to follow through with a full overhaul of his body.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I always look at FCS stats for possible draft sleeper prospects that are possibilities for Seahawk needs, this year one guy really stood out in the CB ranks. I noticed recently that the Seahawks had met with this kid, they really do look at everybody that could be a possibility, and they obviously dig pretty deep and look under every rock. Williams is not even listed on cbssports.com/draftek.com - even though they seem to list everyone including long snappers and 4-th team types of guys. Maybe this is an accidental omission of a player deserving of a much higher ranking or something? Outrageous, any way you slice it.

***DEEP SLEEPER ***FROM FCS, ----> CB-Tyler Williams (not ranked anywhere), Central Arkansas, 6-1/194
13-games: 23-PBU, 4-INT = #1 (by a large margin) in FCS in total passes defended @ 2.1/per game.
Probably an UDFA in the draft, but likely worthy of a very long look in training camp at a minimum.
:smilingalien:

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
A 6th round candidate to b/u Wagner (Coyle replacement) at MLB. Pretty darn good skills and production for that late in the draft. --ILB-Marquel Lee, (projected round 6-ish), Wake Forest, 6-3/230
2016: 13-games: 105-tkls, 63-solo, 20-TFL, 7.5 sacks, 4-QBH, 3-FF
2015: 12-games, 71-tkls, 37-solo, 10-TFL, 3.0-sacks, 1=PBU, 1-QBH
2014: 12-games, 101-tkls, 39-solo, 12-TFL, 4-sacks, 1-PBU, 1-QBH, 1-FF

Pie Romania

Reaction score
Pat Ricard from Maine had an impressive pro-day. Ran a 5.00 at 300lbs, but his 10 yard split was an incredible 1.48! 33.5" vert & 33 bench reps. With that sort of explosiveness, I could see him being a late round target (yes, as an offensive lineman also, lol).

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Pie Romania":m9xs1qsg said:
Pat Ricard from Maine had an impressive pro-day. Ran a 5.00 at 300lbs, but his 10 yard split was an incredible 1.48! 33.5" vert & 33 bench reps. With that sort of explosiveness, I could see him being a late round target (yes, as an offensive lineman also, lol).

I have to think that pro day 10 yard split is ridiculously suspect. That's faster than all of the skill position players (Offense or defense) at the combine. At least that I've been able to find.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":18h3w7t5 said:
Pie Romania":18h3w7t5 said:

I have to think that pro day 10 yard split is ridiculously suspect. That's faster than all of the skill position players (Offense or defense) at the combine. At least that I've been able to find.

Agreed, but it was reported he did that number twice. Curious as to who timed it and if anyone else got something similar. Either way, gives us a player to look into and see if that sort of explosion has translated to the field.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Ishmael Zamora - Baylor - WR
6'4" 215Lbs.

This is another guy that is a really interesting late round pickup. He's really raw. I think basically the only routes he ran were go routes and bubble screens (so Bevell will love him :lol: ). His athletic ability and size are incredible and he's in the mold of other #1 NFL WR's. Hopefully he learned from his off field mistakes. If he runs in the 4.4's on his pro day like I think he might you could start to hear his name on more draft boards.

Seafan

Reaction score
Pie Romania":q68nqu0r said:
Attyla the Hawk":q68nqu0r said:
Pie Romania":q68nqu0r said:

Agreed, but it was reported he did that number twice. Curious as to who timed it and if anyone else got something similar. Either way, gives us a player to look into and see if that sort of explosion has translated to the field.

A 300 pounder who leaps 33.5 is undeniably explosive.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
A lot of good posts, thank you all for your input. Hoping to see some more. :2thumbs: