Top 10 DB's

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Our secondary is in need of some new talent and this draft is loaded with DB's. Who are your top 10 favorite defensive backs is this draft. Include any hybrids in this conversation if prefered.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

original poster

Reaction score
Realistic pickups?

Kevin King
Obi Melifonwu
Adoree Jackson
Chidobe Awuzie
Budda Baker
Jourdan Lewis

In that order, for our R1 pick or as you go down the list, with a trade back. Although I think we go slot/buffalo with our first pick and get an outside corner on day 2.

getnasty

Reaction score
Of guys I think Seattle has a shot at
1-Gareon Conley
2-Kevin King
3-Cordrea Tankersely
4-Marlon Humphrey
5-Tre'Davious White
6-Quincy Wilson
7-Sydney Jones
8-Adoree Jackson
9- Ahkello Witherspoon
10-Teez Tabor
11-Rasul Douglas

I didn't put any nickel or safetys in there put I'll have to think more on those.

penihawk

Reaction score
My top 10's of guys we could possibly draft:

ROUNDS 1-3 CORNERS
1)Gareon Conley
2)Adoree Jackson
3)Kevin King
4)Cordrea Tankersley
5)Quincy Wilson
6)Jourdan Lewis
7)Ahkello Witherspoon
8)Sidney Jones
9)Chidobe Awuzie
10)Rasul Douglas

ROUNDS 1-3 SAFETY
1)Josh Jones
2)Budda Baker
3)Marcus Williams
4)Obi Melifonwu
5)Marcus Maye

ROUNDS 4-FA CORNERS
1)Shaquill Griffen
2)Brendan Langley
3)Jalen Myrick
4)Jeremy Cutrer
5)Brian Allen

ROUNDS 4-FA SAFETY
1)Rayshawn Jenkins
2)Jadar Johnson
3)Tedric Thompson
4)Fish Smithson
5)Nate Gerry

Seafan

Reaction score
If either King or Obi are still there at #26 I believe they'll take one of them, if not there's a good chance they'll trade down unless someone like Riddick or Jarrad Davis is there.

endzorn

Reaction score
Seafan":2xqkmqav said:
If either King or Obi are still there at #26 I believe they'll take one of them, if not there's a good chance they'll trade down unless someone like Riddick or Jarrad Davis is there.
I definitely don't claim to be a draft expert, but Melifonwu just seems like a Seahawk to me. I feel like the entire staff would love to find ways to create defensive mismatches with his size, demeanor and athleticism. If he's available at 26 I can see him getting scooped up.

penihawk

Reaction score
Is it the freaky athletic numbers at the combine we are in love with or his tape? I'm not sure myself and kinda like Josh Jones as a versatile athletic safety thats a bit more physical. If I had to bet, I would guess we end up with neither.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Reading between the lines I think Seattle wants a nasty playmaker on the defense. A few of those guys are getting older and it seems like the defense needs someone like that in a bad way. Which of these guys fits that bill? That's who I think they end up taking. I love King and have thought it was him or Melifonwu and thought it was going to be one of them but not sure they have that nasty "it" factor.

penihawk

Reaction score
I don't know about nasty but if they want a playmaker that would definitely Adorea Jackson. Melifonwu doesn't strike me as a nasty playmaker and his good tape is showing more corner skills than safety imo. I won't be bummed if the take him at 26 but I think he is far from a finished product and I'm not even sure what you do with him early in his career.

pcbball12

Reaction score
If you want nasty, Marlon Humphrey is probably your guy. Not sure he is there at 26 though.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":19ion462 said:
If you want nasty, Marlon Humphrey is probably your guy. Not sure he is there at 26 though.
I watched a highlight of Murphy and he felt similar to Byron Maxwell, probably more athletic. Strong, smooth, not really twitchy. Made a few big tackles.

Also watched Quincy Wilson who seems a bit lighter. Play was twitchy and tenacious, more like Earl than any of our other Db's. Could see him working as Nickle or outside.

Really like Awuzie as well, he has been the most physical CB I watched, I'm not sure he will be as effective tackling in the NFL.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Wenhawk":4ktr5f00 said:
pcbball12":4ktr5f00 said:
I watched a highlight of Murphy and he felt similar to Byron Maxwell, probably more athletic. Strong, smooth, not really twitchy. Made a few big tackles.

Also watched Quincy Wilson who seems a bit lighter. Play was twitchy and tenacious, more like Earl than any of our other Db's. Could see him working as Nickle or outside.

Really like Awuzie as well, he has been the most physical CB I watched, I'm not sure he will be as effective tackling in the NFL.

Maxwell isn't a bad comparison to Humphrey...Humphrey isn't as stiff though IMO. Also, think Humphrey is a dog when it comes to taking on blocks, blowing up screen game, and tackling. Don't know if I have seen a CB hit like he does.

I like Awuzie, I think he is going to be a good perimeter CB but I could also see him making a switch to FS. He is best in press coverage, so the scheme fit is there...he is a little stiff though.

I said it in another thread, but I like Wilson's cover ability....potential elite coverage ability in both press and off coverage. But, he runs away from blocks and ball carriers. Doesn't have the "want to" when it comes to taking on blocks or tackling. It might be more of a thing that is just irritating to me because that is a mentality issue. I just have a hard time seeing a guy with that mentality fit in with our DB group. However, the coverage ability is so good it might be something you just deal with.

Love this DB class. So many guys with different styles and strengths, but so much talent.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I think casserly might have it right, tradavious white is very seahawky

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I keep reading this seahawky term and no idea what it means when used in context to some of these players. Tredavious White seems the anti seahawk. Kelly Jennings-ish type player, can stick to a player and has some good football instincts but not physical, not particularly strong, not great in run support, not that long body they covet. I hope White isn't on the radar based on what I've seen.

DJrmb

Reaction score
This article was eye opening to me and really interesting. I no longer think the Seahawks are as high on this CB class as some here are...

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/the-2017-cornerback-class-has-a-wingspan-problem
It’s not unfair to suggest they might only be interested in Kevin King and Ahkello Witherspoon early in the draft in terms of outside cornerbacks
If the Seahawks are tied to a wingspan number (77 inches) as they appear to be with arm length (32 inches), the options are relatively limited in this draft at outside corner.