Quincy Wilson CB Florida

Ozzy

Reaction score
Anyone have a strong opinion about him as a potential first round pick for the Seahawks or after a tradedown? He seems to have a few traits they want. Thoughts?

pcbball12

Reaction score
austinslater25":1rocwxco said:
Anyone have a strong opinion about him as a potential first round pick for the Seahawks or after a tradedown? He seems to have a few traits they want. Thoughts?
Talking strictly as a cover guy, he is awesome. Great in press, great hips, great recovery speed. Really good in off coverage as well...his plant and go is pretty special for his size.

My issue with him (and it is a huge turnoff for me and it might not be for most teams) is his "want to" in run support. I literally saw him running away from blocks, running away from ball carriers so he didn't have to make a tackle. That's weak to me. Now, Deion Sanders was that way too but he was also Deion Sanders. If we're talking about as a guy for this team, we need our corners to tackle well...and at least make an effort to do so. If he ended up a hawk, there is no doubt in my mind he'd be one of the better cover guys in the league eventually, but you would also see teams running outside and throwing screens his way all game long.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I read one report and they claimed he had that Seattle attitude and was very physical so that's an interesting obersvation. If he can't help in run support then Pete may not be interested. Weird thing is there are a few elite level guys available at 26 but most have some sort of flaw that leads me to believe Seattle won't take them. They might find their guy and figure they can fix whatever flaw we are now seeing.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Well, he is physical when pressing in coverage. Just wants no part in helping in run support or the screen game. If I'm a coach I will take technique flaws all day. It's the desire to do things like shying away from tackling I don't want. That's a mentality thing to me.

getnasty

Reaction score
Wilson is really starting to grow on me. Hes big, physical, good ball skills. I'm not to worried about run support, when you have guys like Earl and Kam playing the back end they'll get him up to speed on that. I wouldn't mind him in the 1st and would love him in the second. He'd be a perfect target to trade out of the first and move into the early 2nd.

penihawk

Reaction score
He has skills and who likes coaching DB's up more than Pete? I like him quite a bit.

Seafan

Reaction score
Scouts say the same about Witherspoon who is likely the best cover corner in the draft. IIRC the Hawks have met with him. IMO the Hawks would rather use their #1 on a pass rusher and if he's not there they'll draft Obi and possibly trade down.

two dog

Reaction score
I really like Ahkello Witherspoon a lot...except for his aversion to tackling. There is a great deal to like
about Quincy Wilson too, except the same aversion.
Is it correctable? Maybe...but who wants to commit a 1-2 round choice on "maybe"?

Wilson at least talks and acts like a confident team leader.
I would much rather have Awuzie than either.

pcbball12

Reaction score
two dog":1xr9bzfh said:
I really like Ahkello Witherspoon a lot...except for his aversion to tackling. There is a great deal to like
about Quincy Wilson too, except the same aversion.
Is it correctable? Maybe...but who wants to commit a 1-2 round choice on "maybe"?

Wilson at least talks and acts like a confident team leader.
I would much rather have Awuzie than either.
The difference between Ahkello and Quincy (at least IMO) is that Ahkello at least tries to make tackles....he just wasn't very good at it. I think that is correctable. Making someone want to mix it up, take on blocks, and tackle is a different story to me.