Austin Rekhow-Kicker

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Somewhere in this draft I expect them to take a flier on a kicker. It might not come until after the draft when they look at undrafted guys. A guy I like is Austin Rekhow from Idaho. I'm a bit biased about him as he went to HS with my daughter and went to Idaho (go Vandals!) He holds the HS record for longest Field Goal and was a very good HS athlete. He can kick and punt as well. Was a solid contributor to the Idaho football team for 4 straight years.

One of the pre-draft magazines I looked at mentioned him as a prospect but said his kicking stats may have been exaggerated by his kicking in high altitudes. High altitude? Moscow, Idaho? Do the people that write these things even research players or just write what they think? The University of Idaho is in Moscow Idaho not Denver Colorado!

Rat

Reaction score
I don't have much to say about Rekhow, he sounds worth a UDFA signing, but this thread made me look up kicker prospects, and Holy F Zane Gonzalez is a stud! I'd even be OK using a 4th on that guy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The Bengals got to see Gonzalez up close at his pro day at Arizona State University and sent the top decision makers in Marvin Lewis and Duke Tobin to meet with him privately. That’s a relatively good indication that the Bengals truly are interested in considering Gonzalez and investing a draft pick into the kicker position.

Scouting Report Consensus - What to like:

Over the past two seasons, 75 percent (126-of-167) of his kickoffs have gone for touchbacks, an impressive feat and a big consideration for NFL kickers

His leg has gotten stronger each year in college

His long kicks have good trajectory, and end-over-end rotation

Was a remarkable 13 for 15 from beyond 40 yards as a senior (87%)

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/4/18/15 ... -at-kicker

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Zane is the best of the lot. Elliot also looks to be rock steady, only behind Gostkowski in Memphis lore so that's not bad company to be keeping. You should be able to grab one of them on day 3. I'd prefer Zane but either one and Rekhow would be good camp competition and the best of the group handle duties. Cant say Im comfortable entirely with where we're at.

DKHAWK79

Reaction score
Simon Mathiesen (Northwestern Missouri) could also be an option. The Chiefs has shown interest in him.