Seahawks mock draft: Richard Sherman final trade scenario

cover-2

Reaction score
Well there is less than a week till the draft and Sherman's trade stock has diminished. If the front office doesn't trust that Sherman will be a team player for this season, then maybe they give a discount for Sherman so he doesn't poison the rest of the team. For this mock I have the Saints trading their 2nd round pick #42, a 6th round pick, and their 1st round pick in 2018. I have a hunch that if RB Davlin Cook falls to the Saints late 1st, that they will take him. I also think the Saints will draft a stud LB with their other 1st round pick. So if the Saints take the best LB available at the top of the 1st round, then Cook later in the 1st; they will still need a CB. The Saints Super Bowl potential window is hella small, Drew Brees may have two or three years left in the league. Also, John Schneider has basically said that he is not high on the middle rounds of this draft class, which is why I have him being aggressive in this mock draft.

TRADE:
Seahawks trade Richard Sherman to the Saints.
Saints trade their 2017 2nd round, 6th round, and 2018 1st round pick to the Seahawks.

1st round #26 - (LB) Zach Cunningham 6-3 234 lbs, Vanderbilt: Cunningham has the size, length, and explosiveness to use in multiple ways on defense. He has the length and athletic ability to match up on TE, RB, and possibly slot WR's. He is also quick twitch enough to develop into a situational pass rushing LB.

[youtube]ft-5RO-g6R8[/youtube]

2nd round #42 (from Saints) - (CB) Ahkello Witherspoon 6-3 198 lbs, Colorado: I don't think Kevin King will be available at #26, so I have the Seahawks drafting a similar player in Witherspoon. Some may see him being a reach at this point, but Witherspoon fits the Seahawks profile more than other CB's rated higher in this draft.

[youtube]XbxwejR-s20[/youtube]

TRADE: Seahawks trade their late 2nd and one of their late 3rd to move up in the 2nd round.
2nd round (trade up) - (DE) Tim Williams 6-3 244 lbs, Alabama: Williams is a top-15 talent, but his character concerns have him falling to the middle of the 2nd round. The Seahawks trade up to get Williams, projecting him to the LEO position.

[youtube]N9AoNcRpMJw[/youtube]

TRADE: Seahawks trade their early 3rd round pick and late compensontory 3rd to move back into the 2nd round.
2nd round (trade up) - (OG/OT) Dorian Johnson 6-5 300 lbs, Pittsburgh: Johnson was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school and was plugged into the starting LG position. Johnson has the length and mentality to play LT. He could come in and possibly win the starting LT position or LG position. IMO he would be a steal in the 2nd round with the potential to be a top-5 LT in the NFL.

[youtube]HQ18C8_Ha9c[/youtube]

6th round (from Saints) - (FS) David Jones 6-1 205, Richmond: Jones has good length and speed for a FS and could possibly play some big nickel. He has very good balls skill and I'm sure the coaching staff will find a role for him.

[youtube]OpMGVnOLGEE[/youtube]

6th round - (CB/FS/SS/Rover) Jeremy Clark 6-3 220 lbs, Michigan: I must admit I have been a fan of Clark's for the past two years, he has been in a lot of my mocks the last two years. Clark unfortuntaly was injured early this past season, but yet was still invited to the NFL combine. Clark was originally a Saftey then moved to CB. Clark has bulked up 15 lbs to 220 lbs. He has long arms, good in press coverage, and he is the closest thing to Brandon Browner that I have seen.

[youtube]gxScODKak9k[/youtube]

7th round - (DT) Roderick Henderson 6-1 340 lbs, Alabama St: Henderson is a bigger version of a small school Brandon Mebane. Carrol is all about stopping the run first and if the DT can create pressure its a bonus.

[youtube]gSOOGDMokmQ[/youtube]

2018 NFL Draft

1st round #15 (from Saints) - (SS) Derwin James 6-3 215 lbs, Florida St: James is a big hard hitting SS that would be a perfect replacement for Chancellor.

[youtube]2vzDw8UIDZI[/youtube]

1st round #32 - (RB) Derrius Guice 5-10 218 lbs, LSU: Guice is an elite athlete and he has the size that the Seahawks like in RB's. Guice looks like a 4.40 40-yard RB, with exceptional quickness, good vision, good balance, and he runs angry. He looks to get the most yards out of every carry.

[youtube]73aKs9kTNKA[/youtube]

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Cunningham would be a big surprise but both he and Williams would be good fit on the defense.

I would be fine with the value we got for Sherman. I think if we trade him we need to get more than Witherspoon to shore up our secondary. If we can greatly improve our pass rush next season I think it would soften the blow of having a young unproven group of CB's.

I do think Pete could take the group of young talented CB's we have and find another diamond. Sherman is special but we have seen a number of guys opposite him look like pro bowl players only to go somewhere else and flop.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Witherspoon has length and is good in coverage. However, watch the effort he puts into stopping the run against Michigan. Attempts at 0:52, 1:42, 2:38, 3:12, 3:33, 3:40, 3:55 (ridiculously bad), and 4:18.

[youtube]R0H_t_tMFhM[/youtube]

I have a hard time seeing us draft a CB early who makes business decisions at that rate. Can you coach up willingness to tackle?

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
AgentDib":2tstq5au said:
Witherspoon has length and is good in coverage. However, watch the effort he puts into stopping the run against Michigan. Attempts at 0:52, 1:42, 2:38, 3:12, 3:33, 3:40, 3:55 (ridiculously bad), and 4:18.

[youtube]R0H_t_tMFhM[/youtube]

I have a hard time seeing us draft a CB early who makes business decisions at that rate. Can you coach up willingness to tackle?

He definitely isn't going to be mistaken for being a stud against the run. The kid needs to wrap up as opposed to just hitting the ball carrier with his shoulder. Our coaching staff is kind of know for teaching the proper technique when it comes to tackling, so I would suggest that he could become better against the run. But, yes I would prefer to see more "want to" from him in run support.

I think on a couple of those plays you pointed out, can't really be argued as a knock for lack of run support. At :52 the play was at least 7 yards away from him, his responsibility is to keep outside containment on the runner. His responsibility is to be in position to prevent the runner from turning the corner. Another play you pointed, the slot WR took out his legs which looked borderline illegal.

We are not going to find a perfect CB in the 2nd round, so I would prefer drafting a CB with Witherspoon's size, athleticism and ball skills as opposed to a CB with his size that has poor ball skills. Witherspoon's size, length, athleticism, and ball skills can't be taught; which is why I think the Seahawks would draft him. Seahawks also flew him in for a private visit.