Bolles

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Bolles
Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:32 am
  • I have a feeling Seattle ends up with Bolles after a trade down. Anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other on him? I know he essentially spelled his name right and not much else on the Wonderlic and with Cable's complicated zone blocking scheme that worries me a little but maybe it shouldn't. Thoughts?
    Adopt a Rookie: C.J. Prosise
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Re: Bolles
Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:38 am
  • I just don't think the team goes OL with their first pick.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:48 am
  • I have a feeling you have been following Tony Pauline. He has reported that we are talking with ATL any sealing 1sts and that Bolles is the best LT and a target for Seattle.

DL is the area we have to get right this season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:11 am
  • I did see the report from Pauline and it makes sense although Si has a good point and they've already invested a ton into the offensive line. Most of the mocks have them taking CB but there seem to be guys who are similar in grade being available in the 2nd and even late 2nd if they trade up with their ammo in the 3rd.

While someone like Jackon, Baker etc would be exciting it might make sense to grab someone like Watt, McKinley etc and address CB a little later.

Can't wait either way.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:50 am
  • Wenhawk wrote:DL is the area we have to get right this season.

That's not imperative. We have a couple years window to do that.

If the talent is there, great. But really this isn't the strength of this draft. At least early.

Seattle has shown significant interest in late round big body players. The talent seems good there. I would say go out and get your next Alan Branch/Tony McDaniel from that group and look to address next year.

It also allows us to get a better read on the two DL we took last year (Reed/Jefferson).

Don't force a Odhiambo style selection with a talent pool that is generally poor.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:00 am
  • At least Bolles isn't Robinson? That's about all the good I can say.

Not that Bolles is a bad player, I just want to get a sweet defensive player in the first.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:34 am
  • It will be interesting to see the order the tackles finally get drafted as I've seen a myriad of examples thus far. The consensus I've seen on .net is 1. Bolles. 2. Ramczyk. 3. Lamp. 4. Robinson. Actually, I've seen a lot of comments on here saying Robinson won't fit our style, so maybe swap him out for the tackle from Florida State.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:31 am
  • I think they really want Bolles, NY might snag him at 23 though
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:44 am
  • I agree with others that we wont be taking oline with the first round pick.

We will trade down as we always do. Im guessing early second round.

But if you tell me we are sticking in the first, which we wont be, but if we did Obi Melanwu is the guy.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:59 am
  • SNDavidson wrote:I think they really want Bolles, NY might snag him at 23 though

Saw a Mock Draft yesterday (USA Today, maybe?) and it had only two OL going in the first round. Lamp and Ram, I believe.

And Lamp was actually the first one to go . . . fairly early too.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:37 am
  • The Hawks will trade down and pick Budda Baker.
    twelthmanfan
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:41 am
  • I really want Baker. You can make an argument he may not be the best fit for what we need right now but the guy is just a fantastic football player. He's always around the ball, capable of making big plays which this defense has been lacking the past couple of years and I think he can play nickel, safety, hybrid type roll or whatever.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:46 am
  • I think the Oline talk is a big smokescreen. I don't think they go for one of the lineman here, I think they retool on defense and play to the strength of the draft. The more teams think we need oline, the more they are likely to hop in front of us and try to take one which allows JSPC to take bpa.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:48 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:I really want Baker. You can make an argument he may not be the best fit for what we need right now but the guy is just a fantastic football player. He's always around the ball, capable of making big plays which this defense has been lacking the past couple of years and I think he can play nickel, safety, hybrid type roll or whatever.

I love Baker too, and I do tend to think he is what we need right now. He's not a corner but he could line up as one in packages and get on the field immediately, not just when Earl steps aside and he'd be mentored by the best. I think this is the ideal time to get him.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:26 pm
  • I thought the 'got too young' (I realize bolles is over aged) comments snuffed out the idea of adding more rookies to the mix. They need players to grow and realize the potential a few years into the system, not another bottom first round guy that Cable can sit on for a couple years.

Also feels like a reach, just given general OL talent. Getting a 2nd rate lineman instead of a top tier DB because of strength of draft. Poop.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:01 pm
  • In my view it's largely dependent on how they feel about Ifedi at RT. Aboushi's contract only includes $200k guaranteed and doesn't commit him to the roster let alone the starting RG spot. However, they would have likely matched Gilliam's offer if they weren't comfortable taking an Aboushi/Ifedi right side into training camp.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 pm
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:I thought the 'got too young' (I realize bolles is over aged) comments snuffed out the idea of adding more rookies to the mix. They need players to grow and realize the potential a few years into the system, not another bottom first round guy that Cable can sit on for a couple years.

Also feels like a reach, just given general OL talent. Getting a 2nd rate lineman instead of a top tier DB because of strength of draft. Poop.

How is Bolles a 2nd rate lineman? LOL.

These are crazy times.

:snack:
    hawknation2017
    NET Starter

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:43 pm
  • hawknation2017 wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:I thought the 'got too young' (I realize bolles is over aged) comments snuffed out the idea of adding more rookies to the mix. They need players to grow and realize the potential a few years into the system, not another bottom first round guy that Cable can sit on for a couple years.

These are crazy times.

As in, it's a very weak OL year. I don't think Bolles is a first round value. So, I think it'd be a bad pick.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:55 pm
  • Athletically, Bolles is elite. His tape for 2016 is very good. He was superb.

The knocks: he's old (for a rookie), only one year of film at Utah, and he scored 9/50 on the Wonderlic (really low for a lineman). If he was 22 or 23, and scored 20 on the Wonderlic, I think he'd go top-12.

Given the fact that mediocre free agent lineman got bags of money this last year, he is a great value in the late first/early second. Even if it takes him half a year to absorb an NFL offense.

Recommended reading: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/pre-monday-night-football-garett-bolles-post
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:09 pm
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:
    hawknation2017 wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:I thought the 'got too young' (I realize bolles is over aged) comments snuffed out the idea of adding more rookies to the mix. They need players to grow and realize the potential a few years into the system, not another bottom first round guy that Cable can sit on for a couple years.

These are crazy times.

As in, it's a very weak OL year. I don't think Bolles is a first round value. So, I think it'd be a bad pick.

It's a VERY weak OL year -- outside of like six guys, it is pitiful.

But I have Bolles as the best offensive lineman in this class. He is a freakish athlete, the best run-blocking OT, and one of the more violent and explosive blockers to come out in the last few years.
    hawknation2017
    NET Starter

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:09 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:Athletically, Bolles is elite. His tape for 2016 is very good. He was superb.

The knocks: he's old (for a rookie), only one year of film at Utah, and he scored 9/50 on the Wonderlic (really low for a lineman). If he was 22 or 23, and scored 20 on the Wonderlic, I think he'd go top-12.

Given the fact that mediocre free agent lineman got bags of money this last year, he is a great value in the late first/early second. Even if it takes him half a year to absorb an NFL offense.

Recommended reading: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/pre-monday-night-football-garett-bolles-post

Wow I think you have to seriously have shit for brains to get 9 out of 50 on the wonderlic. You get several points for your name and by straight random guessing you're bound to get several more. This guy has the makings of 2 false starts a game and missed protections.

Surely we can do better than this.
    2017 Adopt a Rookie: Tedric Thompson
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:17 pm
  • Wonderlic and age have to be two of the weaker criteria for evaluating a prospect.
    hawknation2017
    NET Starter

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:45 pm
  • Who cares if he is 25? Like seriously? This believe that players cant play at a high level into their 30's needs to go away. Its been done and is still being done by players today. He could easily play for 10 years at a high level.
    IrishNW
    NET Starter

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:42 pm
  • IrishNW wrote:Who cares if he is 25? Like seriously? This believe that players cant play at a high level into their 30's needs to go away. Its been done and is still being done by players today. He could easily play for 10 years at a high level.

Couldn't agree more. This age thing is seriously overrated. Not that it doesn't matter, but it's just one of many factors, and not one of the more important ones. If he were 28 or 29, I could see it being a problem. But, at a minimum, you've got the guy for 4-5 years of his physical prime. And even if they didn't want to sign him to a second contract due to his age, what's wrong with having a potentially great OT for 4 super cheap years plus 1 relatively cheap option year? The team could use a few players who might not necessarily be around long term, but who can nevertheless contribute at a high level for 4-5 years (not a trivial amount of time!) on a cheap contract. And this guy seems exactly like what we need on the O-line. You want that physical edge back? Bolles will definitely bring that. If we are lucky enough to draft him, I'd be surprised if he didn't immediately improve the run game. The inability to run the ball was, for me, the most concerning thing about last year's team.
    Alexander
    NET Rookie

It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 8:17 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information