Who is better at his position?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'll put them in tiers:

1. Lamp/Jones

Lamp is probably the best actual OL in the draft on tape. Zay Jones is electric.

2. King/Mixon/Baker

King shows great flashes. Probably biggest upside of any of the players listed. Mixon is a good RB. But uhh.... baggage. Baker is a unique playmaker -- but stature is going to possibly count. Isn't insanely rangy like Earl to compensate

3. Robinson/Bowser/Obi

Obi is a unique athlete. But even proponents aren't sure where he'll play. Kind of a 'find him a role' player. Could be outstanding. Or could be Byron Jones who was a similar player but has to this point not emerged as a special player. Obi has a lot of athletic potential. But the caveat here is at his position. Not seeing Obi being even better at S than either Evans or Maye come day 1. Maybe by year two.

Bowser is another great athlete.

Robinson -- I'm not high on. Since the question is 'at his position', then I think he'll be a terrible LT. He is probably a RT only, and I'm not even convinced he's better than Ifedi will be. Certainly isn't a great athlete at the position. Ifedi is a far superior athletic prospect.

sam1313

Reaction score
Back up question then is "who do you want?"

I would love Lamp, but I am not so sure I would take him if it also meant losing King. Ughh.. I want Lamp, King and Buddha...

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2rt7aegm said:
I'll put them in tiers:

1. Lamp/Jones

Lamp is probably the best actual OL in the draft on tape. Zay Jones is electric.

2. King/Mixon/Baker

King shows great flashes. Probably biggest upside of any of the players listed. Mixon is a good RB. But uhh.... baggage. Baker is a unique playmaker -- but stature is going to possibly count. Isn't insanely rangy like Earl to compensate

3. Robinson/Bowser/Obi

Obi is a unique athlete. But even proponents aren't sure where he'll play. Kind of a 'find him a role' player. Could be outstanding. Or could be Byron Jones who was a similar player but has to this point not emerged as a special player. Obi has a lot of athletic potential. But the caveat here is at his position. Not seeing Obi being even better at S than either Evans or Maye come day 1. Maybe by year two.

Bowser is another great athlete.

Robinson -- I'm not high on. Since the question is 'at his position', then I think he'll be a terrible LT. He is probably a RT only, and I'm not even convinced he's better than Ifedi will be. Certainly isn't a great athlete at the position. Ifedi is a far superior athletic prospect.

Good thoughts Atylla .. and I share your takes for the most part. To me as I've sat back and taken a look at today further, I don't see how they could pass on Forrest Lamp. He is EXACTLY the cure for what has ailed them the past several years in terms of those quick DT's that have just blown up our offense. You get a quick, strong, athletic guard like that who can match up with an Aaron Donald ... and you watch that Hawks offense suddenly get a whole lot better.

As far as CB's are concerned, to be King just screams Seattle Seahawk (length, athleticism, speed, etc.). He has the whole package for what they want.

Obi Melafonwu is a guy whom I'm starting to really warm up to ... but again, I tend to agree -- Where do you play him? On the flip side though, if there is one thing that I've learned about Carroll and the Hawks is that they are anything but conventional. They will FIND a place for a guy like that to play and if there isn't a already defined spot -- they will invent one.

Me personally I'm hoping that they find a way to land themselves Justin Evans. I'm a HUGE Evans fan. That is a guy who lowers the boom. To me as I look at him, I see a potential future heir apparent for Kam Chancellor. Tell me you if you don't think this guy doesn't just scream Legion of Boom ...

[youtube]vrTGLWjuWCo[/youtube]

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
sam1313":3pluy78f said:
Back up question then is "who do you want?"

I would love Lamp, but I am not so sure I would take him if it also meant losing King. Ughh.. I want Lamp, King and Buddha...

Well, I'm not entirely sure you can't have your cake and eat it too. With (4) 3rd Round picks in addition to #111, they have the ammunition to move up from #58 in the 2nd round (if they chose to do so). So, I'm thinking it's not beyond the realm of possibility whatsoever that they could end up landing both Lamp AND King today (if that's the route they choose to go).

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I rate it differently

I got Lamp and Mixon as 2 of the best in their positions in this draft. If not for baggage Mixon was a sure fire 1st. The 2nd best back in this draft and a workhorse. Lamp is the best guard available.

Baker/Jones

Outside of Adams and Hooker, he is the stand out safety. Better than Peppers who was picked before him

Jones is in the 2nd tier of the wrs behind the top trio and probably the best with juju remaining. So for a team leaning wr he's probably going to get the next look.

King/Bowser -

both special athletes who have the potential to be very good but have not shown that they are at their peak yet.

Obi/Robinson

Not high on either of these guys. Robinson I would rate as a better pick as he's going to at least be able to play in this league, its the level that concerns me given what it would take to draft him. Obi, gobs of athletic talents but hasn't shown me great football instincts, I don't want to be the next Al Davis, drafting the guy who puts up the show at combine and can't play a lick of football. Obi makes people drool cause they think he'll be Kam, he's not Kam, just a pale comparison. I hope they let someone else make the mistake on this guy.

As for who I'd want, Baker and Mixon would be my tops on that list because I think the drop off after them at their position is significant. Cook is a good rb but his attitude is apparently questionable and durability questions with his size, so give me the workhorse.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Evans has been everywhere from mid to late 2nd to early 3rd