Seahawks Way Too Early 2018 mock draft

cover-2

Reaction score
Here is my way too early Seahawks 2018 mock draft.

1st round: (DE) Porter Gustin 6-5 260 lbs, USC: Gustin is a long highly athletic player that can play DE and strong side LB. He has length and athletically is similar to Packers LB Clay Matthews.

[youtube]JtPFaevTkcs[/youtube]

2nd round: (LB) Azeem Victor 6-3 230 lbs, Washington: Victor has length, athletisism, and is a warrior on the field.

[youtube]J3DJKeRl04I[/youtube]

3rd round: (RB) Jordan Scarlett 5-10 215 lbs, Florida: Scarlett is a physical runner that fits the Seahawks RB profile.

[youtube]h3r5fAideMc[/youtube]

4th round: (LB) Fred Warner 6-4 230 lbs, BYU: Warner is a tall, athletic, yet short armed playmaker.

[youtube]6BhkhH3WP9w[/youtube]

5th round: (DE/DT) Andrew Brown 6-4 290 lbs, Virginia: Brown was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school that bumped heads with the previous coaching staff. Last year he had 6 sacks, with 13 TFL's, playing both DE and DT.

[youtube]ARBaG0elocc[/youtube]

6th round: (OT/OG/OC) Zack Bailey 6-6 311 lbs, South Carolina: Bailey is a versatile o-lineman which seems to be of high priority for the Seahawks.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/zack_bailey_976070.html

7th round: (CB) Chris Westry 6-4 195 lbs, Kentucky: Westry is a tall long CB that adds compition to the CB group.

[youtube]E7aqk2durB8[/youtube]

HawkGA

Reaction score
Aren't there 5ths and no 6ths?

I could actually see them going CB a bit earlier in the draft. I think a DE/LB hybrid could make a lot of sense at the top of the draft though.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
HawkGA":1urek94b said:
Aren't there 5ths and no 6ths?

I could actually see them going CB a bit earlier in the draft. I think a DE/LB hybrid could make a lot of sense at the top of the draft though.

I was a bit lazy and didn't look into how many pics they had past the 3rd round.

I think all Seahawks fans would rate their needs differently, so a CB before the 7th round seems reasonable. I'm all about keeping the defense young and hungry. IMO we need to get a couple of LB's in the first four rounds of next years draft. Wagner is a forever player, while I'm okay with eventually letting Wright move on. Cap situation forces us to make hard decisions.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Kind of difficult to project what the needs are. But if we look at the unfulfilled, or 1 year rental hedges from this year, I'd say we're in the market for:

OT
RB
TE
LB

In no particular order. We basically will only have Vannett under contract in 2018. So either resign Graham, or get on in the draft. It's not a particularly good TE class next year, with no obvious first round candidates.

I'd say it's a good bet that Seattle isn't done with looking at RBs. This class should be solid:

Saquon Barkley
Nick Chubb
Bo Scarbrough
Derrius Guice
Royce Freeman

I'd have to think that getting an alpha back is probably the #1 goal for this franchise. Unless Lacy emerges as a talent he's not yet been -- I think we're still looking for that. This draft will have day 1 quality backs. Scarbrough isn't our prototype. But there is no denying his ability to alter a game by himself. Otherwise seems the draft will be top heavy with Hawk prototype backs.

LB went unaddressed this draft. I'd see us going with one early on day 2. There is starter grade quality there in this draft (as in almost every draft).

OT has a lot of 'competition' type players. But that just means we have 3 guys who are all question marks. I don't see this position being locked down. But I do think it's unlikely we burn another R1 pick here. Seems we're at least comfortable with a OT by committee approach. And this draft really doesn't seem all that great at this stage. McGlinchy and Rankin both seem a bit flawed despite the hype. Connor Williams, should he declare, will be gone inside the first 10 picks. So looks like we're already on the outside of the tier one group before the season starts.

Clearly the list of early talents will fluctuate. The influx of underclassmen will push early round talents out by 15-20 picks and R3 types into the end of R4.

But in terms of short terms fixes implemented this year, obviously OT/RB are the biggest ones. TE and LB didn't even get that. I'm thinking that Seattle resigns Graham, elevates Vannett and gets a day 3 TE to the mix. That kind of follows their multi faceted approach to resolving needs. Graham is still worth his deal. Leaving OT/RB/LB as the likely needs heading into next offseason based on the short term solutions provided in this offseason.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":hh9uawwg said:
Kind of difficult to project what the needs are. But if we look at the unfulfilled, or 1 year rental hedges from this year, I'd say we're in the market for:

OT
RB
TE
LB

In no particular order. We basically will only have Vannett under contract in 2018. So either resign Graham, or get on in the draft. It's not a particularly good TE class next year, with no obvious first round candidates.

I'd say it's a good bet that Seattle isn't done with looking at RBs. This class should be solid:

Saquon Barkley
Nick Chubb
Bo Scarbrough
Derrius Guice
Royce Freeman

I'd have to think that getting an alpha back is probably the #1 goal for this franchise. Unless Lacy emerges as a talent he's not yet been -- I think we're still looking for that. This draft will have day 1 quality backs. Scarbrough isn't our prototype. But there is no denying his ability to alter a game by himself. Otherwise seems the draft will be top heavy with Hawk prototype backs.

LB went unaddressed this draft. I'd see us going with one early on day 2. There is starter grade quality there in this draft (as in almost every draft).

OT has a lot of 'competition' type players. But that just means we have 3 guys who are all question marks. I don't see this position being locked down. But I do think it's unlikely we burn another R1 pick here. Seems we're at least comfortable with a OT by committee approach. And this draft really doesn't seem all that great at this stage. McGlinchy and Rankin both seem a bit flawed despite the hype. Connor Williams, should he declare, will be gone inside the first 10 picks. So looks like we're already on the outside of the tier one group before the season starts.

Clearly the list of early talents will fluctuate. The influx of underclassmen will push early round talents out by 15-20 picks and R3 types into the end of R4.

But in terms of short terms fixes implemented this year, obviously OT/RB are the biggest ones. TE and LB didn't even get that. I'm thinking that Seattle resigns Graham, elevates Vannett and gets a day 3 TE to the mix. That kind of follows their multi faceted approach to resolving needs. Graham is still worth his deal. Leaving OT/RB/LB as the likely needs heading into next offseason based on the short term solutions provided in this offseason.

I pretty much agree on your thoughts what our needs will be next year. I think we should target LB and RB early in the draft, with OT being a WTF he dropped to us option in the 1st round. For me I think next year's OT's will be really strong. RB position is interesting, look out for former Seahawks RB Chris Warren's son...

Chris Warren has unique size at 6-2 235 lbs, not a Seahawks prototype, but big and rugged RB worth watching..
[youtube]M-ZTIuJFuIM[/youtube]
http://www.texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6182