UCLA QB comments on School/football

JSeahawks

Reaction score

CPHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":217gssev said:
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-mora-talks-josh-rosen-controversial-comments

Thoughts?

First impression is Jim Mora is slimy trash who knows his QB has a point

You read this from kid who's been handed everything in life, been praised by everyone since he was little, and to me is screams of a spoiled brat. Then go listen to Alonzo's interview with 710 today, and read up on how he had to help work to put food on the table as a kid. And he had no issues at school. Rosen will be the next hated QB in the nfl, the next Cutler.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It is beyond time that the NCAA is disbanded at the NFL/NBA pick up the check for their own player development. They need an academy system like they have in Europe. This will fix a bunch of issues. It will get players into NFL football academies at 17/18 and they can play with NFL rules and NFL schemes (bye bye spread no huddle). Now I know that college football is very popular so why don't have something like the University of Washington football academy or University of Alabama football academy where the players will get their academic only scholarship after they are done playing football. Not only that with this new academy system we can have an under 21 Superbowl when the best academy teams play. They can also play more games in November and December because they will not be limited by school.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
sdog1981":2pnil0zb said:
It is beyond time that the NCAA is disbanded at the NFL/NBA pick up the check for their own player development. They need an academy system like they have in Europe. This will fix a bunch of issues. It will get players into NFL football academies at 17/18 and they can play with NFL rules and NFL schemes (bye bye spread no huddle). Now I know that college football is very popular so why don't have something like the University of Washington football academy or University of Alabama football academy where the players will get their academic only scholarship after they are done playing football. Not only that with this new academy system we can have an under 21 Superbowl when the best academy teams play. They can also play more games in November and December because they will not be limited by school.

That sounds terrible.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
sdog1981":4j223zhs said:
JSeahawks":4j223zhs said:
That sounds terrible.

What would be terrible about it?

Well, I guess my thought is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. In my opinion the college game as a whole is way more entertaining and interesting than the nfl.

sdog1981

Reaction score
JSeahawks":298xilb4 said:
sdog1981":298xilb4 said:
JSeahawks":298xilb4 said:
That sounds terrible.

Well, I guess my thought is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. In my opinion the college game as a whole is way more entertaining and interesting than the nfl.

I can see that point too. I have soured on the business side of NCAA football. The days of teams only playing 11 games and the students were done with football in November are gone and I feel the NCAA is now exploiting these players.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3jlb5x8r said:
sdog1981":3jlb5x8r said:
JSeahawks":3jlb5x8r said:
That sounds terrible.

It is broke though J. Just because it entertains you doesn't mean it's not without its fundamental flaw (of which there are many). Not worth pointing out here but if the only advantage these players get is that a few don't pay for college while the schools and corporations are making near billions on the backs of uncompensated labor then yes.. it's broke.

And if this kid is saying that even getting the education part of the deal is near impossible because of the importance put on the sport then disbanding college football and going to development leagues makes the most sense.

Never happen because why would the schools care. But in soccer, college level is not attracting the best players anymore. Basketball is starting to turn with kids going to Europe. Baseball has the minors.

Football right now offers no choice to its athletes. Imagine if it did.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The change I would like to see is that they should be able to make money off their own names if they're big enough to do so. Otherwise I believe their free education and per diem is pay enough. I know you're not going to change my mind, and I'm 99.9% sure I'm not going to change yours so I won't even try.

sdog1981

Reaction score
JSeahawks":dma36793 said:
The change I would like to see is that they should be able to make money off their own names if they're big enough to do so.

That is a compromise I can agree on.

mrt144

Reaction score
JSeahawks":c2nvbnfl said:
Uncle Si":c2nvbnfl said:
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-mora-talks-josh-rosen-controversial-comments

Thoughts?

First impression is Jim Mora is slimy trash who knows his QB has a point

Reminds me of my all time favorite tweet. From Cardale Jones: Why do we have to go to class when we came here to play football? We didnt come to play school. Classes are pointless!

My favorite aspect of that tweet is that Cardale leaves early after a pretty small window of time but winds up getting his degree anyway. School is gonna get you yet Cardale!

ivotuk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":z4yw8lwu said:
The change I would like to see is that they should be able to make money off their own names if they're big enough to do so. Otherwise I believe their free education and per diem is pay enough. I know you're not going to change my mind, and I'm 99.9% sure I'm not going to change yours so I won't even try.

This. So much this.

If you pay college football players, then you have to pay the female college softball players. And the college golfers.

I have a good job based on my college education, but it cost me, financially and emotionally, working through college while raising a teenage daughter by myself and studying computer science, mathematics and electrical engineering. I ended up with high blood pressure and panic attacks.

Meanwhile, all of the men and women that played any kind of sport, even the ones that lost the school money, had free room and board and education. And some of them actually played specifically for that reason, to get an education.

If the schools make money, so be it, as long as they put it back in the schools. And they need to cut back on administration and faculty as there are way too many of those people racking up a huge paycheck and benefits while just making busy work.

Take that money, and lower tuition for the working kids trying to make it through school. Turn it in to scholarships and work-study programs. But don't pay the students to play a game.

Like Ricky Williams said, "If you pay student athletes, it devalues the student education and the diploma. In other words people would look at their degrees as worthless because the students were there getting paid, not to get an education. In those cases, the students don't care, they do just enough to get by. It's almost like someone bought the degree for them.

And that hurts the student-athlete that is sincere about their education. The ones that are doing it for their family, or because it's something that they've always dreamed of.

But that's just my humble opinion.