Baker Mayfield

getnasty

Reaction score
Anyone know what his draft projection is? Like him or not he can ball, seems like he's the kind of guy that falls due to his size.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
6'1" is considered to short, I just looked on Walterfootball and they have him projected to go 3 or 4 round. He's somewhere in between Russell Wilson and Johnny Manizel to me, I'd love to spend a 3rd on the dude.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Former walk on.... people forget that!

Mike Leach offered him a Preferred walk on spot (like what Luke Falk was offered) Mayfield ended up going to Texas Tech as a walk on....started as a frosh, then eventually transferred to Oklahoma when Mahomes took over playing.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Seems like 1/2 more than 3/4. Regardless of where he ends up being drafted, dude is going to win games in the nfl (unless he is on the Browns).

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Would not be at all surprised if Seattle doesn't take him late first/early second.

Seattle has been looking at QBs. Some chatter that we were interested in Mahomes if he fell to the 2nd round. The scouting activity early this season in college games with draftable QBs also indicates that we're interested in grooming a serious backup candidate.

Mayfield is the kind of QB (mobile, good arm, tough) that mirrors Wilson. Seattle believes strongly in prototype mirroring. I just get a sense that the backup spot is one that we've been eyeing for more than just this year and it looks like that search is hitting another gear than in past years.

I would expect that if they're interested in Mayfield, they'll give him the Pocic treatment and try to keep it under wraps. I can understand how that might seem a cop out --that the lack of demonstrated interest indicates we are. But remember, that we've traded back several times in the last couple years for teams to draft late first QBs (Lynch/Bridgewater). If we're interested in Mayfield, we'd be wise to keep that to ourselves so that other teams don't leapfrog us to take him.

He just gives off an 'it' vibe that is unmistakable. And Seattle definitely looks for that in it's QB prospects. He's a ballsy, aggressive competitor and I think that will appeal strongly to Pete.

EDIT: And quite obviously we could care less about height. That's not going to matter to us in the slightest.

CPHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":1lmgk7bu said:
6'1" is considered to short, I just looked on Walterfootball and they have him projected to go 3 or 4 round. He's somewhere in between Russell Wilson and Johnny Manizel to me, I'd love to spend a 3rd on the dude.

Listed is usually an exaggeration on short qbs. I'm going to bet he comes in right at 6ft or shorter. That said if we could get him in the 4-5th I'd take him as a backup.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Draftscout.com has Mayfield listed at 6-002/220, 4.64/40, that height, if accurate upon measurement at the combine would make Mayfield 5/8" taller than RW, also note he's a little heavier and slightly slower than RW. IMO- Accuracy + durability + Grit + the "IT" = a likely Rd-2/3 area target for the Seahawks I would hope as that pick could extend RW's career once a talented backup QB w/starter potential like Mayfield is obtained as the QB of the future.

QB-Baker Mayfield, 2017 season stats, so far:
--Passing: 213/299., 71.2%, 11.9/YPA, 31-TD, 5-INT, 202.10-rating, 355.9-yds/game. + The kid's fun to watch!
--Rushing 73/231-yds, 3.16/ypc, 5-TD's - 3790-total offense yds, 36-total TD's.