Trading all our picks

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I feel this was a colossal mistake going all in on this year like that. What do you guys think?

sdog1981

Reaction score
One bad draft class won't sink your team but once you start getting to two out of three or three out of five bad draft classes you can see the team's depth drop off fast. Also allowing Cable to waste your first overall pick 3 times and over 20 draft picks total is not helping.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Seemed like this was the year to go all in, but yea it has backfired horribly. Will definitely set the franchise back

2_0_6

Reaction score
What? We get Duane Brown for atleast next season and a 3rd round comp pick for each Graham or Sheldon if they sign elsewhere.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Brown and Richardson are two of the best players in the league at their respective positions. And we got them without sacrificing any of our first round picks. The draft is an inexact science based on potential; whereas, we acquired players who have already proven their greatness.

Brown will be here a long time, hopefully. We either get a 3rd round comp for Richardson or we re-sign or franchise him for another year. If we don't re-sign Richardson, it would be like we exchanged a 2nd rounder for a 3rd and a 7th, plus a year of Richardson. Or we could franchise Richardson to get another year out of him and then collect the 3rd round comp in 2020.

2018 Draft picks
1st Rounder (could trade down for more picks in rounds 2 and/or 3)
4th Rounder
5th Rounder
5th Rounder
5th Rounder
7th Rounder
7th Rounder
7th Rounder

2019 Draft picks
3rd Rounder
3rd Rounder (comp pick in either 2019 or 2020 depending on whether Richardson re-signs)
4th Rounder
5th Rounder
6th Rounder
7th Rounder

mistaowen

Reaction score
Both players are Pro Bowl caliber and well worth the investment. Top 10 LT's don't get moved and in his limited time, Brown was clearly a great addition. Richardson provides awesome interior push as well and is young enough to become part of the core.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
I think the trades were a good move but for a different reason than the other folks who posted. I think that this season is the last year of our championship window and we needed to "go all in" to really have a shot. The trades didn't work and the loss of picks will make the upcoming rebuild more difficult but it was a worthwhile gamble. Our aging defensive superstars will continue to decline and become more and more injury prone and their replacements will not perform at their level. The next couple years are gonna be tough to watch but I'm glad that the franchise really went for it this season. Even if it didn't work.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3ttlqli8 said:
Brown and Richardson are two of the best players in the league at their respective positions. And we got them without sacrificing any of our first round picks. The draft is an inexact science based on potential; whereas, we acquired players who have already proven their greatness.

Brown will be here a long time, hopefully. We either get a 3rd round comp for Richardson or we re-sign or franchise him for another year. If we don't re-sign Richardson, it would be like we exchanged a 2nd rounder for a 3rd and a 7th, plus a year of Richardson. Or we could franchise Richardson to get another year out of him and then collect the 3rd round comp in 2020.

2018 Draft picks
4th Rounder
5th Rounder
5th Rounder
5th Rounder
7th Rounder
7th Rounder
7th Rounder

2019 Draft picks
3rd Rounder
3rd Rounder (comp pick in either 2019 or 2020 depending on whether Richardson re-signs)
4th Rounder
5th Rounder
6th Rounder
7th Rounder

We ONLY get a comp pick if Richardson signs elsewhere as a free agent. And it would then DEFINITELY be in the 2019 draft.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":7ua0um4t said:
hawknation2017":7ua0um4t said:

2018 Draft picks
4th Rounder
5th Rounder
5th Rounder
5th Rounder
7th Rounder
7th Rounder
7th Rounder

2019 Draft picks
3rd Rounder
4th Rounder
5th Rounder
6th Rounder
7th Rounder

We ONLY get a comp pick if Richardson signs elsewhere as a free agent. And it would then DEFINITELY be in the 2019 draft.

They could franchise him, though that is unlikely, and then let him depart in free agency after next season. Then the comp pick would come in the 2020 draft.

xgeoff

Reaction score
sdog1981":21q6e2cq said:
One bad draft class won't sink your team but once you start getting to two out of three or three out of five bad draft classes you can see the team's depth drop off fast. Also allowing Cable to waste your first overall pick 3 times and over 20 draft picks total is not helping.

:ditto:

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I still feel trading our second and third for 2018 and second for 2019 was a colossal mistake. That is a lot of draft capitol to give away to save an aging team this year.
Severely hampers our ability to restock on this team. They were not win forever moves they were win now moves and they changed little.
The Sheldon Richardson trade upsets me the most. One year rental and yeah he has been all right but he has not been a game changer here or even close to it. Now he will be gone and we don't have that second rounder to restock with. To add insult to injury those picks will be much higher should we miss the playoffs which looks pretty likely at this point.

original poster

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3jhdcxn2 said:
I still feel trading our second and third for 2018 and second for 2019 was a colossal mistake. That is a lot of draft capitol to give away to save an aging team this year.
Severely hampers our ability to restock on this team. They were not win forever moves they were win now moves and they changed little.
The Sheldon Richardson trade upsets me the most. One year rental and yeah he has been all right but he has not been a game changer here or even close to it. Now he will be gone and we don't have that second rounder to restock with. To add insult to injury those picks will be much higher should we miss the playoffs which looks pretty likely at this point.

Without sounding argumentative as that isn't my intention at all.

But would you have been happy with the trades if it got Seattle another Super Bowl win?

Shame it doesn't appear to have worked out and I'm gutted we don't currently have a 2nd or 3rd in the 2018 draft but ultimately they could be Pocic and Darboh type players, hardly world beaters.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
original poster":2jxaf2tw said:
Natethegreat":2jxaf2tw said:

But would you have been happy with the trades if it got Seattle another Super Bowl win?

Shame it doesn't appear to have worked out and I'm gutted we don't currently have a 2nd or 3rd in the 2018 draft but ultimately they could be Pocic and Darboh type players, hardly world beaters.
Or they could be Bobby Wagner and Russel Wilson.
My point is Richardson is an overhyped decent player who is going to make way more than he should and we now have little draft capital to restock this team.
All for a one year rental of a decent player.

Boycie

Reaction score
Natethegreat":wbmiuvnv said:
original poster":wbmiuvnv said:
Natethegreat":wbmiuvnv said:

Or they could be Bobby Wagner and Russel Wilson.
My point is Richardson is an overhyped decent player who is going to make way more than he should and we now have little draft capital to restock this team.
All for a one year rental of a decent player.

Won't we get a 3rd round pick minimum for Richardson if he doesn't re-sign here?

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Possibly depending on what he signs for elsewhere. So lets say he does end up getting us a comp third round pick. We won't get it till 2019 and we traded our second round pick for what will essentially be a 4th rounder a year later all for a one year rental.
What makes me scratch my head is Petes philosophy is win forever. These moves they made are not win forever moves. They are putting all our chips on the table this year moves, and they severely hamper our future ability to reload this team with TOP TIER talent.

original poster

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1dyzcjdz said:
Possibly depending on what he signs for elsewhere. So lets say he does end up getting us a comp third round pick. We won't get it till 2019 and we traded our second round pick for what will essentially be a 4th rounder a year later all for a one year rental.
What makes me scratch my head is Petes philosophy is win forever. These moves they made are not win forever moves. They are putting all our chips on the table this year moves, and they severely hamper our future ability to reload this team with TOP TIER talent.

You ignored my question, would you have been happy with the moves if it got us a SB this year? Which was obviously their intention and very much not a ridiculous assumption by any means.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I made this thread after the trade. I didn't think it was a good idea then and I certainly don't now.
Asking if I would be happy if we won a super bowl is a rhetorical question that doesn't require an answer.

My point still stands that it was an obvious win now move that shifts vastly away from their core philosophy in running this team.

original poster

Reaction score
Fair point.

Ultimately, though, this team was built to win a SB. They thought adding Sheldon and Brown would improve their chances at that.

I agree it made it harder next year, but I can't fault them for being aggressive and giving the team it's best chance at success.

For all we know, they could be offloading players this off season that could/will pick up replacement 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Who cares? I'll take the good players from other teams. JS/PC haven't drafted squat for the last 5 drafts.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2i63qg8w said:
I'm not getting the comp pick logic.
If he leaves after this season I would think you get the pick for 2018?