QB-J. T. Barrett, potential B/U for RW replacing Boykin?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
QB-J. T. Barrett, Ohio St. 6'-1-1/8"/220, 4.60/40 +/- (A dual threat QB, similar to RW with a few extra pounds?) Currently ranked #196-overall, projected Rd-5/6 at nfldraftscout.com - A good spot to draft a B/U QB if he's there?

Current (thru 12-games) CAREER TOTAL stats are being VASTLY overlooked & as a result, Barrett would seem to be very **undervalued** as a QB. Many may question his maturity level, but y'all got to admit his stats are very impressive & he is super competitive, just needs a good coach & a mentoring QB like RW? IMO-we all should keep an eye on this guy throughout the draft process as I can see him being better than Boykin as a B/U with more upside. Might even be a possible QB to RB convert, he has the size, grit and production, so, maybe a possibility there as well - maybe?

Current CAREER TOTAL thru 12-games this season so far. Bowl game #'s pending, #'s will increase some.
--Passing: 758 of 1194 for 9079-yds, 63.48%-comp. 7.60/YPA, 104-TD's, 30-INT.
--Rushing: 590 for 3197-yds. 5.42-YPC, 41-TD's (IMO, there are lots of RB's drafted in the mid rounds with lesser #'s.)
--NOTE: 145-TD’s total thru week-12 must be at or very near an NCAA record for total offensive TD's.

-----------------PS:---------------- An example of QB rushing #'s being disrespected.....Currently:
T. BRADY: 3632-passing yds, 26-TD's, 24-yds on 21-rushes. 1.1-ypc, ****3656-total yards, ****26-TD's.
R. WILSON: 3256-passing yds. 26-TD's, 432-yds on 71-rushes, 6.1-ypc, 3-TD's, ****3688-total yards. ****29-TD's
per: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/pla ... ry-passing
:smilingalien:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Ohio State QBs haven't fared well in the NFL recently. Cardale Jones, Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor, etc haven't had success in the NFL. Not to say JT won't but it's likely his career follows the same path or he ends playing another position (WR).

Maulbert

Reaction score
hawkfan68":24rfif5m said:
Ohio State QBs haven't fared well in the NFL recently. Cardale Jones, Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor, etc haven't had success in the NFL. Not to say JT won't but it's likely his career follows the same path or he ends playing another position (WR).

Possibly a RB, with his build and YPC.

Rat

Reaction score
He's Russellesque in his game prep, but he can't get the ball downfield at all.

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
IMO-Any QB with 758/1194/63.5%-Comp, for 9,079-yards passing & 104-TD's/30-INT, can and indeed has excellent passing abilities, including "down field" passes. Not to mention his 3,197 rushing yards and 41-TD's. That is a total of 145 career TD's (and 12,276 total offense yards), who has more? He is the all time Big-10 TD leader & is at/near the all time NCAA record for TD's. He's short (like RW), with questions of his maturity, his draft potential probably is Rds. 5, 6 or 7.

He's not a typical tall, statue throwing the ball & features some good running for a QB, kind of like our own RW, thus the thought as expressed in my initial post,-------> a later round B/U-QB to replace Boykin, (whom, I don't believe is the answer at B/U-QB due to his real character concerns) and Barrett may actually have a good chance at development behind RW, at the likely cost of a Rd-5/6/7 pick. Personally, I like a QB with a little emotional spark and spunk that loves to win football games and IMO, Barrett fits a need to improve the B/U QB position with a low draft pick cost, as in "always compete".

IndyHawk

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1y1vcfsu said:
IMO-Any QB with 758/1194/63.5%-Comp, for 9,079-yards passing & 104-TD's/30-INT, can and indeed has excellent passing abilities, including "down field" passes. Not to mention his 3,197 rushing yards and 41-TD's. That is a total of 145 career TD's (and 12,276 total offense yards), who has more? He is the all time Big-10 TD leader & is at/near the all time NCAA record for TD's. He's short (like RW), with questions of his maturity, his draft potential probably is Rds. 5, 6 or 7.

He's not a typical tall, statue throwing the ball & features some good running for a QB, kind of like our own RW, thus the thought as expressed in my initial post,-------> a later round B/U-QB to replace Boykin, (whom, I don't believe is the answer at B/U-QB due to his real character concerns) and Barrett may actually have a good chance at development behind RW, at the likely cost of a Rd-5/6/7 pick. Personally, I like a QB with a little emotional spark and spunk that loves to win football games and IMO, Barrett fits a need to improve the B/U QB position with a low draft pick cost, as in "always compete".
I understand what your saying but stats in College does not mean for NFL unfortunately.
If this was the case Urban Meyer would have a QB in the pros and the best he has put in is weak backups.
Look at how many Ducks Qb's have failed in the pros.I see one and he's average.
The point is the history of great stats with just these two schools has not gone well to NFL at all.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I'd be totally fine with this. Lot's of people questioned Dak Prescott. I'm not saying JT will turn into anything, but for a 6 or 7th round pick, why not? Especially when someone is a special athlete like he is. Maybe he is not only the backup QB but a backup WR/RB as well. Bottom line is that most backup QB's are expected to not make mistakes, not necessarily win games for you.

Rat

Reaction score
I'm a huge Buckeyes fan, and would love to see Barrett make it in the pros, but I just don't see an NFL arm when I watch him. Also, while he is very mobile, it's in the Tim Tebow step, glide, and bowl-them-over type of mobility, as opposed to someone slippery like Russ. It works for Cam Newton, but Barrett is no Cam Newton.

He had that DUI a few years ago, but aside from that, I think he has been exceptionally mature. He's also a film-room junkie, and those guys have value. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him as a UDFA, but I'd be really surprised if he becomes someone a pro team can with with.

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
As with any draft pick, you take a player that improves your roster. The question here is, would Barrett be a better B/U QB than Boykin? If, they (Seahawks) think this is true, then a late round/UDFA QB pick has some value. If, they think this is untrue, then they will pick a different position to draft in those spots. Pretty simple really.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I like JT, but I don't think he is an NFL player.

I'm guessing he ends up in a training camp, maybe a practice squad and then maybe the CFL - similar career path to Vernon Adams I'm thinking.

mrt144

Reaction score
The dude makes Pryor look like he has a laser rocket arm.

I appreciate everything JT did for the Buckeyes but if there was ever a read option college pro that has no home in the NFL it is JT.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
JT Barrett likely won't ever play a snap of QB in the NFL.

Could see him going the Braxton Miller route and becoming a WR.

You may be able to say the same about Lamar Jackson.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":33vwxu5x said:
JT Barrett likely won't ever play a snap of QB in the NFL.

Could see him going the Braxton Miller route and becoming a WR.

You may be able to say the same about Lamar Jackson.

If I could somehow buy the Panthers I would ask the GM to scoop him up as an UDFA and ask the coaches to give him a shot at being incorporated for their running game. He has the instincts from his time at OSU to pick it up the Panther's schemes fast enough and throwing in one more big fast dude back there could be hilarious.

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
That's what I'm talking about for the Seahawks. Considering RW never comes out and the current B/U sets on the bench. Barrett would make a good RB/wildcat option that could be worked into the game plan and give the OC a lot of options.

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Additional information on:
QB- J. T. Barrett, Ohio St. - Season ending stats/rankings: These #'s MUST be ignored 'cause he's ONLY a system guy.
REF: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ett-1.html

#1 in the Big-10 since 1956 (that's over 60-yrs.) with 12,697 total yards passing & rushing.
#1 in the Big-10 since 1956 (that's over 60-yrs.) with 104 career passing TD's
#1 in the Big-10 since 1956 (that's over 60-yrs.) with career 147-TD's
#4 in NCAA since 1956 (that's over 60-yrs.) with career 147-TD's
#1 in the Big-10 in 2017 with 35 passing TD's
#1 in the Big-10 in 2017 with pass efficiency rating with 160.0
#1 in the Big-10 in 2017 with 9.0-yds per passing attempt.
#1 in the Big-10 in 2017 with 7.2-total yards per play.
#2 in the Big-10 in 2017 with 3851-total yards passing/rushing
#2 in the NCAA in 2017 with 47 total TD's passing/rushing.
#3 in the Big-10 in 2017 with 12 rushing TD's
#2 in Big-10 since 1956 (that's over 60-yrs.) with 152.3 career passing efficiency rating.
#14 in Big-10 since 1956 (that's over 60-yrs.) with 43 career rushing TD's (as a QB!)
#22 in NCAA since 1956 (that's over 60-yrs.) with 104 career passing TD's.