Myles Gaskin Returning to UW for Senior Year

getnasty

Reaction score
Disagree what does he have left to prove? Why come back risk a down year, injury and get another year older with more wear.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

getnasty":27vruuxj said:
Disagree what does he have left to prove? Why come back risk a down year, injury and get another year older with more wear.

You make a good point but a 4th round contract insurance policy won't be prohibitively expensive and being the all-time UW rushing leader in a town full of billionaire-owned companies doesn't hurt either.

Other than that, it may just boil down to gambling there not being so many good backs in the draft next year.

In either case it's great news for Husky fans with a four-year-starter QB and legitimate 1st rounder OT Trey Adams coming back too.

sdog1981

Reaction score
getnasty":36mdfqlw said:

I want him to do well at the NFL level but I feel there is a very good chance that being the all-time UW rushing leader is the best he can do. I hope I eat some Myles Gaskin NFL running back crow but I just don't see it. Too small and too slow by NFL standards.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

sdog1981":ix5yh65p said:
getnasty":ix5yh65p said:

I want him to do well at the NFL level but I feel there is a very good chance that being the all-time UW rushing leader is the best he can do. I hope I eat some Myles Gaskin NFL running back crow but I just don't see it. Too small and too slow by NFL standards.

He may be a bit small by NFL standards but he runs a 4.50-40 and according to this article he would be the 8th fastest RB in the NFL. BTW, that is the exact same time as David Johnson who is considered the best all around back in the NFL.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2675 ... in-the-nfl

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Seems like a huge mistake. I get that that is a loaded RB class, but there is literally nothing left for him to prove to NFL scouts and put on film. He’s done it all for 3 years. All he is doing now is putting more wear on the tires and risking catastrophic injury.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Bryce Love also returning for his senior season at Stanford. I think it’s a mistake for both of them. Even if you’re not going to be a first round pick, if you’re a running back, get to the nfl and get to that 2nd contract as quickly as possible before you put too much mileage on your legs.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I think Gaskin will be a starter in the NFL some day. No weaknesses.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Something I don't see anyone bringing up about this is how much he loves college and playing college football. Not everything is about money all the time.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
DJrmb":1ke03cwr said:
Something I don't see anyone bringing up about this is how much he loves college and playing college football. Not everything is about money all the time.

Maybe,,, but a RBs shelf life is extremely small. If your the best of the best you see a clear finish line at age 30.

With the NFL the generational wealth tipping point is contract number 2. Youre much more likely to receive that at 27 rather then 28.

But Love and Gaskin knew all of this before they made their decision. The pac12 product as a whole benefits from these decisions even if both guys ultimately will hurt their future earnings. But education from preeminent universities helps off set some of that.....

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

gowazzu02":3agsmhea said:
DJrmb":3agsmhea said:

Maybe,,, but a RBs shelf life is extremely small. If your the best of the best you see a clear finish line at age 30.

With the NFL the generational wealth tipping point is contract number 2. Youre much more likely to receive that at 27 rather then 28.

But Love and Gaskin knew all of this before they made their decision. The pac12 product as a whole benefits from these decisions even if both guys ultimately will hurt their future earnings. But education from preeminent universities helps off set some of that.....

Perhaps, but if you can change a projected 4th round selection into a 2nd round pick that's going to be worth a couple of million. Rookie contracts are mandated by the CBA for four years so whatever you get you are stuck with for a long time. Will he be able to do that? Who knows, the Huskies are returning really good numbers on offense and defense. If he could get some addl exposure he might be able to improve his status. He certainly seems to think so.

Regardless of the skepticism here, (mainly from opposing team's fans :stirthepot: ), I think he must have had some good advice along the way.

chris98251

Reaction score
If he was projected as a 4th he could drop to UDFA real fast, that low in the draft after many have scooped up needs and better measurable they start looking at projects, 3rd down type backs can drop way down unless they have a special skill.

Having the rushing record ahead of many great HB in UW is a good addition to a resume as well as being in a less stacked draft class.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

chris98251":17867vqg said:
If he was projected as a 4th he could drop to UDFA real fast, that low in the draft after many have scooped up needs and better measurable they start looking at projects, 3rd down type backs can drop way down unless they have a special skill.

Having the rushing record ahead of many great HB in UW is a good addition to a resume as well as being in a less stacked draft class.

:ditto:

hawkman

Reaction score
This is my first post on this board.... I think Miles made a good decision. There is more to life than living for the dollar. He is going to set UW records that will probably never be topped next year. On a team that if things go right could be playing for something special in January.

Being in a situation like that in college is fun, and once it’s over it’s over. Playing pro ball is much more like a job, a well paying job. Miles will make millions in the next few years. Next year he gets to have fun and be a kid in paradise for another year, and that’s priceless!