Poll: Change in draft strategy"

Stick with or change draft strategy?

• Trade down as much as possible to get as many as possible, regardless of round-quantity over quality

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Trade down in the first once, but keep at least 1 first regardless

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • trade down once or twice in the first, but only for multiple seconds or quadruple our picks in the s

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Keep our first in its original position to get that one guy they really want (RB?)

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Trade multiple later rounds to move up into the second or third, quality over quantity, keep our fir

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • other-explain

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Do you think we sticith the quantity vs quality strategy for drafts, or is this the year that maybe we take a RB with our god given first pick?

JS hasnt really hit on this quantity strategy in the last few years. With us restarting our coaching staff, maybe they also look at how they draft as well.

I think they will have one or two guys they will use that first pick on if those guys are available still. If not, we will trade down to 20ish, then maybe later in the first or a few more early in the second. If we dont get "the one" with our first pick, I could see us turning that 1st into 3 or 4 seconds.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
There are going to be probably 2 or 3 players that they will stay and pick for. If they're picked by 18, they'll trade down.

gonzhawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3r59eldw said:
There are going to be probably 2 or 3 players that they will stay and pick for. If they're picked by 18, they'll trade down.

This-

I saw on hawk blogger, maybe not his info, but the question was asked about passing on Myles jack and budda baker
and he replied we passed because they weren't going to get on the field right away-

I mean, so is that true, and if so, sounds like drafting for need and upside is much less productive then
BPA.
I mean, that strategy is not how you build quality depth is it? I probably don't have all my facts, but we have passed
on a lot of good football players for "sparq" guys? anyways-

I don't think there is a back at 18 is there? Barkley be gone, the rest? not at 18. Maybe Ronald Jones II, but I still trade back and then use the first pick on him?

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
The good thing is of they do want to trade, the other 31 teams know by now we trade like crazy, so the Hawks will be getting a lot of offers.

Where do you guys see our biggest needs possibly meet at 18?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
If we stay at #18 I think DE or QB would be the possible highest value picks.

I'm all in for trading back a few times. I'd move back to get at least a 3rd but would prefer we get a 3rd and 4th out of our trades. I think there will be a few really good RB's around in the 2nd and 3rd round we could get a starter with our first pick and a RB with our next pick.

chris98251

Reaction score
A couple things will change, no Cable to sway our Line picks, we will also have to see what the new staff thinks of existing players and how they fit the scheme and that could change the type we look at. The shape of this next draft and F.A. period will a change of what we have seen up to now.

As far as the poll I think it could be any or all the above depending how it falls.

Anchovy of Terror

Reaction score
with a complete new coaching staff in place I’m pretty excited for the draft for the first time in a while. Coincidently we also pick higher then we usually do allowing for some possibly better talent falling our way?

original poster

Reaction score
Anchovy of Terror":1kmcvgvz said:
with a complete new coaching staff in place I’m pretty excited for the draft for the first time in a while. Coincidently we also pick higher then we usually do allowing for some possibly better talent falling our way?

Absolutely.

But the lack of a 2nd or 3rd round kills the excitement for me.

In my opinion, there is under a 10% chance Seattle remains at pick 18. I'd love to see them partner with Cleveland and gain the 33rd and 63rd picks, plus a mid rounder.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If you are asking what we believe the office will do then the answer is the same as always. We have less cap to work with anyway so they could possibly trade all of our picks away. What I believe we should do is get the best offensive line talent we can for our draft resources then sign a lot of ufa db’s and rb’s for the next man up always compete model.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
History tells us all we need to know about what they will do. JS/PC are still in charge and the guys making the decisions. Obviously the input from new coaches/coordinators will have an effect but not on the overall draft strategy of acquiring picks. I think this year without a 2 or 3 that is especially relevant. The #18 Is higher than they have picked in years. The #18 has a higher trade value than the picks they have traded in the past few years. I'm sure they are looking at that as extremely valuable in regards to draft capital.

The RB depth in this draft is off the charts. Best in years. Thete is really no need to draft a RB at 18 when there will continue to be high quality backs in most every round. Backs like Barkley will go top 5 or 10 but because of the plethora of quality available, there most likely won't be a run on backs thus depleting the supply of available draftees. Unless Barkley himself falls to 18, I expect them to trade back for more picks.

chris98251

Reaction score
We don't know how good or bad the players we have are really, our system used them at what they did worst, why I am interested to see cuts and or who we not resign as a indication about what the new staff thinks about what they already have in the stable. Throwing picks at perceived weakness before we know is knee jerk, it takes the fun out of forecasting but I think it's all up in the air right now.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The trading down worked when you had great scouting.

3 5th round picks is great when only 1 pops, and turns into the equivalent of a 1st or 2nd round pick production.

We were regularly turning 4th or 5th rounders into starters for 1 of 3 lower round picks. But Scott is gone and we are not going that route anymore.

So shooting for upside isn't working anymore. It is just squandering picks.

We are losing 1st round contributors or 2nd and 3rd round contributors in areas of NEED in order to get middling depth guys or camp roster fodder that never turns into much.

Trading down screwed us in the last draft and it hasn't really worked for us for a while.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Pick football players with the 1st three rounds
pick guys with upside or risk rounds 4 and 5
pick depth guys rounds 6 and 7

I would like to see this change in draft strategy. I would actually love to see us pick up productive college players in the first couple of rounds other than take huge risks for a boom/bust type of guy.

You can afford to take risks with rounds 4 and 5 see (Sherman and Chancellor)

The further you continue to trade down the more watered down the pool typically gets. I'm tired of bypassing solid NFL talent for marginal talent.

D

DomeHawk

bevellisthedevil":1cnxqnmy said:
The further you continue to trade down the more watered down the pool typically gets. I'm tired of bypassing solid NFL talent for marginal talent.

Can't disagree.

Anchovy of Terror

Reaction score
As long as we don’t end up with another carpenter I would prefer keeping #18. But we all know we’re gana trade down for more picks, which might be for the best given how bad injuries exposed our defense on every level

original poster

Reaction score
These are the players that were chosen at pick 18 recently -

2017 - Adoree Jackson - CB - Titans
2016 - Ryan Kelly - C - Colts
2015 - Marcus Peters - CB - Chiefs
2014 - Calvin Pryor - S - Jets
2013 - Eric Reed - S - 49ers
2012 - Melvin Ingram - LB - Chargers
2011 - Corey Liuget - DT - Chargers
2010 - Maurkice Pouncey - C - Steelers

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Vita Vea has a chance to be there so do a lot of other players that I would call transformative , If they pass on a potential hall of famer for a day 2 pick they should all be fired.