Great new college football rule

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Was just approved. Kids will now be able to play in uo to 4 games during a season and retain their redshirt. I’d guess this will make some of the cupcake games at the start of the season more interesting as you’ll be able to see the future kids.

This could be huge for a team like the huskies who will have two freshman qbs they’d probably like to redshirt. Can get some mop up duties and see some game action but still retain their extra year of eligibility.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hey score one for common sense! I think this be interesting to see how this is taken advantage of. I know for example last year WSU really could of used a kid or two that was RS'ing especially on the linebacker core. But Leach ultimately chose a potential RW SR year as a 23-24 year old vs a RF year as a 18 year old.

D

DomeHawk

Red shirts are burned based upon an athlete's extreme ability or simply desperation owing to attrition, usually due to injuries. This rule change could alleviate a program's disadvantage based on nothing more than bad luck.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1kpvhpyu said:
The NCAA is also supposedly looking into modifying the rule that requires a player to sit out a year if transferring from one FBS school to another.

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein- ... transfers/

That one I hate and pray they turn down. Seems like it will turn half the teams in college football into minor league teams for the Alabama, Clemson’s and Ohio states of the world.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3uoxigmp said:
SeatownJay":3uoxigmp said:
The NCAA is also supposedly looking into modifying the rule that requires a player to sit out a year if transferring from one FBS school to another.

That one I hate and pray they turn down. Seems like it will turn half the teams in college football into minor league teams for the Alabama, Clemson’s and Ohio states of the world.

Im with you. Look at how hoops teams take advantage of the grad transfer rule. This would be taken advantage of.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
gowazzu02":26734m9y said:
JSeahawks":26734m9y said:
SeatownJay":26734m9y said:

Im with you. Look at how hoops teams take advantage of the grad transfer rule. This would be taken advantage of.

Or if a coach is fired or leaves, nothing prevents him from taking players with him. I could see many scenarios where school A sees a player or 2 that they covet and offer a coach from school B more money if they bring certain players with them. It could create a whole new booster black market.