What Will Seattle Do If a Top shelf Talent Falls to Them...

Fade

Reaction score
...at 18?

Will they still trade down regardless?

Based on how the last 4 drafts have gone I will puke.

The team doesn't need more Cassius Marsh's, Kevin Pierre-Louis', Mark Glowinski's, Tedric Thompson's. They need beasts.

All I'm saying is if Seattle has a 1st rd graded player on their board at 18. Take him.

For those that may not know. There are only about 15-20 1st rd graded players in any NFL Draft. That is why it makes so much sense to trade down when drafting in the 20's because their really isn't that much difference between the 24th player taken and the 38th player taken. So why not pick up more picks.

But this year is different. They are now drafting in the TEENS. If the opportunity is there they must take advantage if it happens.

D

DomeHawk

Fade":3u0wrrjh said:
...at 18?

The team doesn't need more Cassius Marsh's, Kevin Pierre-Louis', Mark Glowinski's, Tedric Thompson's. They need beasts.

All I'm saying is if Seattle has a 1st rd graded player on their board at 18. Take him.

For those that may not know. There are only about 15-20 1st rd graded players in any NFL Draft. That is why it makes so much sense to trade down when drafting in the 20's because their really isn't that much difference between the 24th player taken and the 38th player taken. So why not pick up more picks.

But this year is different. They are now drafting in the TEENS. If the opportunity is there they must take advantage if it happens.

I totally agree, I was thinking the same thing. I believe the reason we have traded down is exactly as you say, i.e., the truly immediate-impact players were likely gone.

There seems to be a general consensus on the board that we will trade down regardless. It's going to depend on who is available.

For an example, just think what we would have missed if we had traded down when we selected Earl Thomas w/the 14th pick in 2010.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Fade":1803qa6b said:
...at 18?

They will most likely trade down.

I hate this as a fan but Pete Carroll believes they can still find "diamonds" in later rounds and trade down!!!

Me when they do this year after year...***Facepalm***

Newsflash, they haven't drafted a 3rd day pro bowler in how long??!!

Carroll and Schneider think waaaay too highly of themselves. SMDH.

Good, grief, Charlie Brown!!

getnasty

Reaction score
DomeHawk":23to2vza said:
Fade":23to2vza said:
...at 18?

I totally agree, I was thinking the same thing. I believe the reason we have traded down is exactly as you say, i.e., the truly immediate-impact players were likely gone.

There seems to be a general consensus on the board that we will trade down regardless. It's going to depend on who is available.

For an example, just think what we would have missed if we had traded down when we selected Earl Thomas w/the 14th pick in 2010.

If they get a player at 18 that they covet like they did Earl I'm sure they'll draft him. My guess is that kind of talent won't be there though and they'll trade back. Last year's draft was a perfect example if you look at the guys that were drafted from 26 to 36 they're all of similar talent (Ruben Foster was highly thought of) so why not trade back and pick up a few picks.

getnasty

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":32cdizcs said:
Fade":32cdizcs said:
...at 18?

I hate this as a fan but Pete Carroll believes they can still find "diamonds" in later rounds and trade down!!!

How long has it been since we've found a 1st round pro bowler? The guys that are gonna be available at 18 are underwhelming.

D

DomeHawk

getnasty":3al1gi90 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3al1gi90 said:
Fade":3al1gi90 said:
...at 18?

How long has it been since we've found a 1st round pro bowler? The guys that are gonna be available at 18 are underwhelming.

Well, since we don't draft players in the 1st round, yes, it's been a while, lol.

(Where do they find these people?)

sutz

Reaction score
Whatever they do, I'm sure some folks around here will fight about it. :twisted:

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Fade":1jxujrew said:
...at 18?

I totally agree.

Instead of drafting Fletcher Cox we traded back and got Bruce Irvin.

Still makes me vomit.

massari

Reaction score
It's not the trade downs hurting the Seahawks, it's the players they end up deciding to pick.

3446c921ef8a521f8ac31f9cd0273669

original poster

Reaction score
They seem to be changing lots of their approaches so it's fair to assume they will adapt their approach with the draft as well.

If their plan is to go RB early, a trade down is absolutely guaranteed. There's lots of RB depth early-ish.

I still believe they will restock their draft picks, therefore think, provided an appropriately graded player is still available at 18, they'll take them.

getnasty

Reaction score
HawkNuts":1mgljpwp said:
Fade":1mgljpwp said:
...at 18?

I totally agree.

Instead of drafting Fletcher Cox we traded back and got Bruce Irvin.

Still makes me vomit.

Hard draft to complain about

JGreen79

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2j8zvf4t said:

Since 2010 Pete has drafted three 3rd day pro bowlers (Kam, Sherman, KJ). Most in the NFL. Since 2012 there have only been 18 total... including two kickers (Blair Walsh, and Zuerlein), three special teamers (Justin Bethel, Pharoh Cooper, D.J. Alexander), and one FB (Kyle Juszczyk).

Getting Pro Bowl players in day 3 is not a common occurrence. Not to mention when you are a good team, you are drafting for depth, not necessarily for players that will play enough to put up the numbers to win a fan vote.

Boss Hawk

Reaction score
What would you assume the trade value of M. Bennett to be? Would it be enough to get a second or third round pick back in this years draft?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
JGreen79":3tox2zxr said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3tox2zxr said:

Since 2010 Pete has drafted three 3rd day pro bowlers (Kam, Sherman, KJ). Most in the NFL. Since 2012 there have only been 18 total... including two kickers (Blair Walsh, and Zuerlein), three special teamers (Justin Bethel, Pharoh Cooper, D.J. Alexander), and one FB (Kyle Juszczyk).

Getting Pro Bowl players in day 3 is not a common occurrence. Not to mention when you are a good team, you are drafting for depth, not necessarily for players that will play enough to put up the numbers to win a fan vote.
Exactly!

Kam, Sherm and KJ, were drafted a long time ago!

These guys are now towards the later years of their careers!

PC and JD has not made an impact in later rounds since these guys!

It's way past due!

gowazzu02

Reaction score
So history shows we're dropping down. Especially with no 2nd and 3rd...

I haven't looked at the values but just spit balling here.

We trade 18 to whoever for 22 and the 22nd pick in the third round.

We then trade 22 for 32 and the 32 in the second round.

We draft Sony Michel or whomever the best RB available is at 32. And we also have 32 in the 2nd and 22 in the third.

That is how you draft baby!

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
massari":cwxrww6x said:
It's not the trade downs hurting the Seahawks, it's the players they end up deciding to pick.

Statistically you have a better chance of drafting a pro-bowl type player earlier in the draft. That's kind of the point.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
gowazzu02":bd89q53p said:
So history shows we're dropping down. Especially with no 2nd and 3rd...

I haven't looked at the values but just spit balling here.

We trade 18 to whoever for 22 and the 22nd pick in the third round.

We then trade 22 for 32 and the 32 in the second round.

We draft Sony Michel or whomever the best RB available is at 32. And we also have 32 in the 2nd and 22 in the third.

That is how you draft baby!

So I was interested, I googled the trade chart.

Pick 18 has a value of 900

My guess of 22 and 22 in the third round has a value of 940 (780 and 160) I imagine thats doable

Then second trade of 22 which has a value of 780
for 32 and 32 in the 2nd has a value of 860 (519 and 270). That might be a bit off we might have to throw in our 5th (33) or our 6th (20)

But the big thing here is the Quarterback factor. Theres talk that there are about 4 or 5 first round QBs which will drive the trade market, it will also let talented non qbs fall which could drive the trade market. I imagine were going to see a TON of trade activity.

massari

Reaction score
DomeHawk":33fyshc1 said:
therealjohncarlson":33fyshc1 said:
massari":33fyshc1 said:

Statistically you have a better chance of drafting a pro-bowl type player earlier in the draft. That's kind of the point.

Exactly

Average number of pro-bowlers by round:

Round 1: 12.5

Round 2: 5.5

Round 3: 2

https://www.battleredblog.com/2011/4/27 ... -2000-2007
I'm guessing there's the same chance of drafting a pro bowler in late round 1/early round 2 as there is in the late teens of round 1.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The thing is by who's metrics are we looking at "top shelf talent"?

In every draft there are usually only so many genune 1st round talents. So far it is estimated there may only be 18 in the this draft ( Source: Seahawks draft blog). What if the guy left at 18 isn't the player the team wants, character issues, or poor positional fit, health issues) but is the last genuine talent left from the first round? Does the team draft him anyway? Does the team trade back for player they think is a better fit and recapture value for another early pick?

Except for OLinemen the team has done not a bad job finding players that fit their needs, some are certainly better than others I agree but the history since 2010 has been good and certainly better than average.