Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Rashad Penny San Diego State

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Rashad Penny San Diego State
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:16 pm
  • I was really liking this guy, but sounds like he's struggling at the Senior Bowl

    Question No. 3: Which prospect raised more questions than answers with his performance this week?

    Kiper: Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State.

    He looked like a one-dimensional player in Mobile. He dropped passes and struggled to catch the ball. We know Penny can run -- he rushed for 2,248 yards in 2017 -- but he needed to show that he could do the little things, and that didn't happen. He also struggled in pass protection. I'd also throw in Virginia QB Kurt Benkert, who struggled with accuracy all week.

    McShay: Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State.

    I liked Penny on tape, but he just didn't seem to be dialed in and wasn't the same player I studied. He seemed like he fought the ball at times and missed some open holes. Again, it's only three days of practice, but I thought he'd clearly be the No. 1 back here, and that just wasn't the case.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

    http://ivotuk.com/
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 17908
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:35 pm
  • Good maybe his value will take a hit and we can get him later.

    Kids a stud on the field. I don't care about the 2 days of practice on an all star team.
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1661
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:18 pm
  • Kiper also said Wilson career back up or practice team guy also.......................
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25415
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:08 pm
  • gowazzu02 wrote:Good maybe his value will take a hit and we can get him later.

    Kids a stud on the field. I don't care about the 2 days of practice on an all star team.

    This is my thought, too. I don't put much stock into the senior bowl. I'll add the combine to that as well. Extended game tape tells all.
    User avatar
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1436
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:34 pm
  • He was one of the most dangerous players on that field today.

    I liked him and Ballage a lot (Then again, I was a big fan of Ballage for a while).

    I suppose he has problems in pass protect, but I don't care. He was ripping through some of the best guys in college FB easily today.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3355
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:57 pm
  • Looked really good out there. He's a good receiver out of the backfield too.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7320
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:52 am
  • I’d be amazed if he’s not on the Seahawks radar.
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3171
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:34 pm
  • Penny is not generally considered a true "power" runner, but seems to have a lot of subtle moves and true "burst" in his runs. He finds creases in the gaps and flies thru them. Penny looks like the real deal to me. I hope the Seahawks feel the same 'cause this guy could be a game changer. I just ran across this information that I think maybe a few people were not aware of and paints a slightly different picture of Penny the RB.

    Rashaad Penny 2017 tied for most missed tackles among FBS running backs with 86, Per PFF
    ""SDSU RB Rashaad Penny was a missed tackle forcing machine in 2017.""
    scroll down at: https://twitter.com/PFF_College

    So, we know a lot about what Penny can do as a runner and as a premier KO return guy. ""He was the nation's all-purpose yardage leader (2,698-yds; 224.8 yards per game), Rashaad Penny has scored 24 touchdowns for the 10-2 Aztecs, coming four different ways this season - 19 rushing, 2 receiving, 2 kickoff return and 1 via punt return. Penny has rushed for a nation-leading 2248-yards, averaging 7.78 yards per carry with a 95-yd long run, 81 rushes for 1-st downs, 58-rushes of 10+ yds. & 29-rushes of 20+ yds. IMO-Penny was the whole SDSU offense, the opponents knew they had to stop him & they didn't do much of that given his #'s, so he must be a pretty darn good RB regardless of level of competition. So, then the question becomes not what he can't do but what he can, (1-) run the ball, (2-) catch the ball, (3-) return kicks. If pass blocking is a concern, note that blocking can be coached up if he's a willing tackler (which he is).
    :smilingalien:
    ------------------Rashaad Penny, the next great Seahawks RB.------------------
    User avatar
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1402
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am
    Location: Camano Island, WA


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:28 am
  • CamanoIslandJQ wrote:Penny is not generally considered a true "power" runner, but seems to have a lot of subtle moves and true "burst" in his runs. He finds creases in the gaps and flies thru them. Penny looks like the real deal to me. I hope the Seahawks feel the same 'cause this guy could be a game changer. I just ran across this information that I think maybe a few people were not aware of and paints a slightly different picture of Penny the RB.

    Rashaad Penny 2017 tied for most missed tackles among FBS running backs with 86, Per PFF
    ""SDSU RB Rashaad Penny was a missed tackle forcing machine in 2017.""
    scroll down at: https://twitter.com/PFF_College

    So, we know a lot about what Penny can do as a runner and as a premier KO return guy. ""He was the nation's all-purpose yardage leader (2,698-yds; 224.8 yards per game), Rashaad Penny has scored 24 touchdowns for the 10-2 Aztecs, coming four different ways this season - 19 rushing, 2 receiving, 2 kickoff return and 1 via punt return. Penny has rushed for a nation-leading 2248-yards, averaging 7.78 yards per carry with a 95-yd long run, 81 rushes for 1-st downs, 58-rushes of 10+ yds. & 29-rushes of 20+ yds. IMO-Penny was the whole SDSU offense, the opponents knew they had to stop him & they didn't do much of that given his #'s, so he must be a pretty darn good RB regardless of level of competition. So, then the question becomes not what he can't do but what he can, (1-) run the ball, (2-) catch the ball, (3-) return kicks. If pass blocking is a concern, note that blocking can be coached up if he's a willing tackler (which he is).
    :smilingalien:



    Im all in on either him or Sony Michelle. I hope the hawks trade down a couple times to either late first or early second and take either guy. Thats dream scenario for me.
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1661
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:13 am
  • Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2M42wL7E1o

    RB-Rashaad Penney, what I see. (I know, it's a "highlight" tape, but still illustrates his +'s shown below).

    1. He doesn't hesitate behind the line of scrimmage, gets the handoff and is extremely quick through holes and creases that he sees with his excellent vision, this significantly helps his high ypc. His quickness is evident on film. IIRC, even Lynch had to learn that early in his time with the Seahawks, no false steps, no dancing, get the ball and go. Penney already knows that and it shows on tape.

    2. He's much, much faster than he is given credit for, frequently has long runs while pulling away from defenders.

    3. He's more of an evasive type runner, that can get around defenders rather than through them, this may actually produce more yards over a 220-lb. RB trying to steamroll a big 330-lb O-lineman or to take on other defenders head on and expect to prevail more than fail. IMO, RB's extend their careers by running around a defender rather than try to blow them up every time, especially if that defenders has 100+ pounds on the RB. Penney has plenty of subtle moves that have allowed him to avoid contact but has also shown he can play the hammer as well.

    4. He has excellent K. O. Return abilities and is a threat every time he touches the ball (7-career TD's) this also shows that he "plants & goes" on returns without any hesitation at all. That's how it's best done as a returner and Penney is one of the best ever in that regard, holding top NCAA records.

    5. Penney has a few areas to work on, specifically: pass blocking, learning the play book and learning routes as a receiver, all of which should be correctable with NFL coaching. His first year as an NFL RB would likely see him challenging to be the lead back, but if he's slow in correcting his few flaws, he may not have a major impact until his 2-nd season, once all is figured out. Worst case in his rookie year is he joins a RB by committee, paired with their other RB's on the roster, while taking over KO return duty. I wouldn't be shocked if the Seahawks use two of their top picks on RB's to once and for all, fix the running game. Imagine a combo of Jones/Penney or Johnson/Penney.

    Few, if any (ever) RB's will be Lynch clones, yet most think that's the only type of RB the Seahawks should ever draft, considering that there will likely never be another Lynch available another direction must be taken. Penney is different than Lynch, however, he has his own style & it isn't necessarily worse, it's just different. He is the Rodney Dangerfield of this draft and is viewed by many as a big statistical producer for an FCS team. There are many examples of small school players excelling in the NFL, IMO, Penney has an excellent chance to add his name to that group.
    :smilingalien:
    ------------------Rashaad Penny, the next great Seahawks RB.------------------
    User avatar
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1402
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am
    Location: Camano Island, WA


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:40 pm
  • Wasn't some guy that played for the Rams out of that school also? Think he was named Marshall Faulk....
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25415
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:43 pm
  • I like him better than anyone not named Barkley
    i love the wiggle, burst and power
    He reminds me of a stronger Shaun Alexander
    Seahawkwalt1967
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 214
    Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:38 pm


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:02 pm
  • #1 Saquon Barkley
    #2 Derrius Guice
    #3 Sony Michel
    #4 Ronald Jones
    #5 Rashad Penny
    #6 Nick Chubb
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2827
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:13 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:#1 Saquon Barkley
    #2 Derrius Guice
    #3 Sony Michel
    #4 Ronald Jones
    #5 Rashad Penny
    #6 Nick Chubb



    No Kerryon Johnson?
    Seahawkwalt1967
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 214
    Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:38 pm


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:47 pm
  • I've paid quite a lot of attention to the RB class this offseason for obvious reasons.

    Here's mine, although I must stress it is ever changing!

    #1 Saquon Barkley
    #2 Nick Chubb
    #3 Derrius Guice
    #4 Sony Michel
    #5 Ronald Jones
    #6 Rashad Penny
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3171
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:30 pm
  • Seahawkwalt1967 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:#1 Saquon Barkley
    #2 Derrius Guice
    #3 Sony Michel
    #4 Ronald Jones
    #5 Rashad Penny
    #6 Nick Chubb



    No Kerryon Johnson?


    I would put him behind a few guys.

    Ito Smith is really good too. I could see Carroll getting fired up over Smith.



    So . . . many . . . RBs.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2827
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:45 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Seahawkwalt1967 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:#1 Saquon Barkley
    #2 Derrius Guice
    #3 Sony Michel
    #4 Ronald Jones
    #5 Rashad Penny
    #6 Nick Chubb



    No Kerryon Johnson?


    I would put him behind a few guys.

    Ito Smith is really good too. I could see Carroll getting fired up over Smith.



    So . . . many . . . RBs.



    Good Lord those highlights are insane. He has jukes on his jukes. I see a little Barry Sanders in him. 5’9” 195 isn’t bad. Wonder where he goes in the draft. Nice find
    Seahawkwalt1967
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 214
    Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:38 pm


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:31 pm
  • Seahawkwalt1967 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    Seahawkwalt1967 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:#1 Saquon Barkley
    #2 Derrius Guice
    #3 Sony Michel
    #4 Ronald Jones
    #5 Rashad Penny
    #6 Nick Chubb



    No Kerryon Johnson?


    I would put him behind a few guys.

    Ito Smith is really good too. I could see Carroll getting fired up over Smith.



    So . . . many . . . RBs.



    Good Lord those highlights are insane. He has jukes on his jukes. I see a little Barry Sanders in him. 5’9” 195 isn’t bad. Wonder where he goes in the draft. Nice find

    Holy crap, that's one of the best highlight reels I've ever seen. He's fast, he's quick, he's an ankle breaker, he's slippery, and he runs with a low center of gravity.

    The only thing this doesn't show is can he pass block? But who cares make him the 3rd down back and get him the ball in space.
    Anajimmc
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 190
    Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:32 pm


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:48 am
  • Ito Smith reminds me of a "water bug" zigzagging across a still pond. (That's a good thing.) He would provide some good
    diversity in the Seahawks RB room. A potential late Rd-5 or Rd-7 pick maybe?
    :smilingalien:
    ------------------Rashaad Penny, the next great Seahawks RB.------------------
    User avatar
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1402
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am
    Location: Camano Island, WA


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:47 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Seahawkwalt1967 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:#1 Saquon Barkley
    #2 Derrius Guice
    #3 Sony Michel
    #4 Ronald Jones
    #5 Rashad Penny
    #6 Nick Chubb



    No Kerryon Johnson?


    I would put him behind a few guys.

    Ito Smith is really good too. I could see Carroll getting fired up over Smith.



    So . . . many . . . RBs.

    Reminds me of Reggie, but smaller. He’d have to be a situational guy, but if he finds a coach who maximizes what he can do, I think he could succeed in the NFL.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6862
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:50 pm
  • I'd be fine with either Penny or Jones if Seattle trades down .
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1100
    Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:10 pm


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:00 am
  • Rashad Penny is definitely my favorite. But I love this Ito Smith guy. Did you see the Chad Johnson Tweet in there? "You special, see you on Sundays"

    They also mentioned some former "Conference USA" players when talking about how players from that conference fair professionally. Ever heard of them?

    Matt Forte - Tulane

    Chris Johnson - East Carolina

    DeAnglo Williams - Memphis

    That's not to say Ito will be successful, I shouldn't have to put in this disclaimer, but some numbnuts will attack the post "So you're saying just because those guys had success Ito will!"

    No, it's to say, you can't discount a player just because of where he played. Hello Warren Moon and Adam Vinateiri.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

    http://ivotuk.com/
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 17908
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:19 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Rashad Penny is definitely my favorite. But I love this Ito Smith guy. Did you see the Chad Johnson Tweet in there? "You special, see you on Sundays"

    They also mentioned some former "Conference USA" players when talking about how players from that conference fair professionally. Ever heard of them?

    Matt Forte - Tulane

    Chris Johnson - East Carolina

    DeAnglo Williams - Memphis

    That's not to say Ito will be successful, I shouldn't have to put in this disclaimer, but some numbnuts will attack the post "So you're saying just because those guys had success Ito will!"

    No, it's to say, you can't discount a player just because of where he played. Hello Warren Moon and Adam Vinateiri.



    Warren Moon played for the UW and won a Rose Bowl, "because of where they played" ?
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25415
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Rashad Penny San Diego State
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:15 pm
  • He reminds me some--at least from the highlight video--of Shaun Alexander. It looks like he's got great vision and instincts and a feel for running lane. I really hope the Hawks choose this guy if it's between him and Ballage.
    User avatar
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5773
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:20 pm
    Location: UT




It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests