Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Trouble at TCU?

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Trouble at TCU?
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:38 pm
  • Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this. I hope not. I've always like Gary Patterson.

Former TCU wide receiver Kolby Listenbee has filed a lawsuit in the Dallas County Civil Division against TCU and the Big 12 Conference for a pattern of abuse and harassment.

Listenbee was drafted in the sixth round by the Buffalo Bills in 2016 but was released a year later without playing in a game.

Listenbee, who was injured against SMU during his senior season in 2015, alleges that TCU head coach Gary Patterson, then offensive coordinator Doug Meacham and other coaches “continuously pressured, humiliated, and harassed Listenbee shortly after his injury diagnosis in an effort to force Listenbee to return to play quickly in their quest for a national football championship.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/col ... 23869.html
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Trouble at TCU?
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:50 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this. I hope not. I've always like Gary Patterson.

Former TCU wide receiver Kolby Listenbee has filed a lawsuit in the Dallas County Civil Division against TCU and the Big 12 Conference for a pattern of abuse and harassment.

Listenbee was drafted in the sixth round by the Buffalo Bills in 2016 but was released a year later without playing in a game.

Listenbee, who was injured against SMU during his senior season in 2015, alleges that TCU head coach Gary Patterson, then offensive coordinator Doug Meacham and other coaches “continuously pressured, humiliated, and harassed Listenbee shortly after his injury diagnosis in an effort to force Listenbee to return to play quickly in their quest for a national football championship.”

Horrible if true. I'm not sure what goes through peoples heads when they do stuff like this, but it is unacceptable. And do they honestly not expect it to get out in this day and age?
    GO HAWKS!
    ballhawks12
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 am
  • seaky12 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this. I hope not. I've always like Gary Patterson.

Horrible if true. I'm not sure what goes through peoples heads when they do stuff like this, but it is unacceptable. And do they honestly not expect it to get out in this day and age?

Madness isn't it.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:26 am
  • "pressured and harassed?"

Uhhh not sure what that really means, sounds like he was soft. Big boy football.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:38 am
  • I'm sure there are some good people doing good things as authority figures in the NCAA, so I don't want to paint with too broad of a brush. But more and more it seems like a dirty pool lacking any sort of morals. Smiling in the face of teenage football players, gymnasts etc while they're in their parents living rooms doing their sales pitch, and then treating them like disposable commodities without agency when they're on campus.

If you want to be a professional football or basketball player, or Olympic gymnast in the United States there is nowhere else to go. Having the developmental leagues for the biggest sports in the country associated with post-secondary institutions is an oddly unique North American thing that is hard to rationalize or articulate to someone from elsewhere in the world. Not that it is without fault, but I have always thought that the European soccer system of developing young athletes was the best option, as the athletes are able to start earning money in exchange for their labor/skills as soon as they are old enough to do so.

My experience was great, but I also wasn't a revenue generating athlete (D3 basketball, D1 track) , so my authority figures weren't under any particular financial pressure.

The system seems broken. I'm not sure how to fix it as long as there is still big money for those in charge and the labor remains cheap and without viable alternatives.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:44 pm
  • It's terrible how much influence a coach can have over a player's future. They can screw with their scholarship, with their grades, with the opportunities after college by giving them a bad review. NFL teams base their draft boards based on what coaching staffs have to say about players. So it's easy for a coach to push a player in to further injury by withholding support, or threatening to give them a bad review.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:31 am
  • Or else the kid realizes he isn't talented enough to make it in the pros, and there's only one hope left to make enough money that he doesn't ever have to work again. Minus 30% for the lawyer of course!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:02 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information