Trouble at TCU?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this. I hope not. I've always like Gary Patterson.

Former TCU wide receiver Kolby Listenbee has filed a lawsuit in the Dallas County Civil Division against TCU and the Big 12 Conference for a pattern of abuse and harassment.

Listenbee was drafted in the sixth round by the Buffalo Bills in 2016 but was released a year later without playing in a game.

Listenbee, who was injured against SMU during his senior season in 2015, alleges that TCU head coach Gary Patterson, then offensive coordinator Doug Meacham and other coaches “continuously pressured, humiliated, and harassed Listenbee shortly after his injury diagnosis in an effort to force Listenbee to return to play quickly in their quest for a national football championship.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/col ... 23869.html

ballhawks12

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2kv2rh6e said:
Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this. I hope not. I've always like Gary Patterson.

Former TCU wide receiver Kolby Listenbee has filed a lawsuit in the Dallas County Civil Division against TCU and the Big 12 Conference for a pattern of abuse and harassment.

Listenbee was drafted in the sixth round by the Buffalo Bills in 2016 but was released a year later without playing in a game.

Listenbee, who was injured against SMU during his senior season in 2015, alleges that TCU head coach Gary Patterson, then offensive coordinator Doug Meacham and other coaches “continuously pressured, humiliated, and harassed Listenbee shortly after his injury diagnosis in an effort to force Listenbee to return to play quickly in their quest for a national football championship.”

Horrible if true. I'm not sure what goes through peoples heads when they do stuff like this, but it is unacceptable. And do they honestly not expect it to get out in this day and age?

original poster

Reaction score
seaky12":y681nkh8 said:
JSeahawks":y681nkh8 said:

Horrible if true. I'm not sure what goes through peoples heads when they do stuff like this, but it is unacceptable. And do they honestly not expect it to get out in this day and age?

Madness isn't it.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
"pressured and harassed?"

Uhhh not sure what that really means, sounds like he was soft. Big boy football.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I'm sure there are some good people doing good things as authority figures in the NCAA, so I don't want to paint with too broad of a brush. But more and more it seems like a dirty pool lacking any sort of morals. Smiling in the face of teenage football players, gymnasts etc while they're in their parents living rooms doing their sales pitch, and then treating them like disposable commodities without agency when they're on campus.

If you want to be a professional football or basketball player, or Olympic gymnast in the United States there is nowhere else to go. Having the developmental leagues for the biggest sports in the country associated with post-secondary institutions is an oddly unique North American thing that is hard to rationalize or articulate to someone from elsewhere in the world. Not that it is without fault, but I have always thought that the European soccer system of developing young athletes was the best option, as the athletes are able to start earning money in exchange for their labor/skills as soon as they are old enough to do so.

My experience was great, but I also wasn't a revenue generating athlete (D3 basketball, D1 track) , so my authority figures weren't under any particular financial pressure.

The system seems broken. I'm not sure how to fix it as long as there is still big money for those in charge and the labor remains cheap and without viable alternatives.

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's terrible how much influence a coach can have over a player's future. They can screw with their scholarship, with their grades, with the opportunities after college by giving them a bad review. NFL teams base their draft boards based on what coaching staffs have to say about players. So it's easy for a coach to push a player in to further injury by withholding support, or threatening to give them a bad review.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Or else the kid realizes he isn't talented enough to make it in the pros, and there's only one hope left to make enough money that he doesn't ever have to work again. Minus 30% for the lawyer of course!

pmedic920

Reaction score
Hmmm
Not sure how or why I find this old thread (2018) but…..

….did anyone keep track, or know how this played out?

I’m too lazy to research.

renofox

Reaction score
I remember hearing about the same thing happening at Stanford with either Sherman or Baldwin, and that's one of several reasons they hated Harbaugh.

I think it was Sherman and that’s why he switched WR to CB - when he ignored coaches and waited til he was healed to come back, they wouldn't let him play WR. But the D coach let him play CB because they were needy there.

Apparently Harbaugh also talked both players down to scouts and that’s the main reason Sherman and Baldwin hated Harbaugh.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I remember hearing about the same thing happening at Stanford with either Sherman or Baldwin, and that's one of several reasons they hated Harbaugh.

I think it was Sherman and that’s why he switched WR to CB - when he ignored coaches and waited til he was healed to come back, they wouldn't let him play WR. But the D coach let him play CB because they were needy there.

Apparently Harbaugh also talked both players down to scouts and that’s the main reason Sherman and Baldwin hated Harbaugh.
Do you have a link to that story?
I’d be interested in reading up.

renofox

Reaction score
Do you have a link to that story?
I’d be interested in reading up.

Google found this, among many others.

Touches on the injury and talk-down but not too much detail.

Don't remember where I saw original story that had depth.

pmedic920

Reaction score