Jaylen Samuels, NC State

cheese22

Reaction score
He's listed as a TE on several sites but at 5'11" I can't see him playing there. He looks and plays like a RB/FB and had nearly 200 career receptions. It sounds like the makings of a pretty good 3rd down back and with 230 lbs he's built to pick up blitzes and a very capable receiving threat out of the backfield.
[youtube]E1HGHiaNsl4[/youtube]

nanomoz

Reaction score
I really like him as a player. If he could hone his blocking, he could be a Larry Centers-like weapon, but with better athleticism and running ability.

lobohawk

Reaction score
JaySam is great and I’ve loved his years at NC State. He might get too hot in the draft for where the Hawks would want to draft him. If he drops far enough, would be cool to see how they could use him.

Think he could add a few pounds (240) without losing too much speed. He’s never been a burner, but a great route runner. A FB who could line up in slot, etc would be kind cool. Agile and great hands (see last catch in clip).

A story about his HS coach and NC State’s coach during recruiting.

“The two coaches had some history together. Palmieri used to coach high school football in Florida and Doeren used to recruit that state when he was an assistant at Wisconsin.

Palmieri told Doeren he had the best player in Charlotte.

“He’s going to walk in this room and you’re going to shake your head at me and say you’re crazy,” Palmieri told Doeren.

The two watched some film of Samuels’ junior season at Mallard Creek. Doeren liked what he saw but didn’t know where Samuels would fit at the college level.

“Well, dude, what is he?” Doeren asked Palmieri.

Neither coach was quite sure. Samuels did a little bit of everything at Mallard Creek, including play safety on defense. The position didn’t matter to Doeren.

“He’s kind of a ‘tweener’ but he’s a great football player and I need more of them,” Doeren told Palmieri”

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He is a goal line sniffing machine. He has terrific vision and sets up his blocks like few backs. He played some TE because he is a true receiving threat and match up nightmare but mostly lined up at a hybrid H back position. NC State had excellent tail backs and WR’s so Samuels had to move around to stay on the field and made the most of his opportunities.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Interesting player. The Patriots will draft him move him all over the place and make everyone wonder why they didn't do that.

aawolf

Reaction score
Let me put it this way: If you play NCAA fantasy football, JaySam would be the best waiver wire pickup the last three years based upon the fact that he was a scoring machine that nobody else ever heard of. Check this out:
Total TDs:
2015: 16
2016: 13
2017: 16
He's the type of guy that had no clear position, but could beat you because he's a darn good football player.