Washington to make it back to the College Football Playoff?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I dont see how they can make the playoffs when they're going to finish 2nd in the North to Oregon. :D

Honestly though, I have a feeling the pac12 will probably get shut out for the 2nd year in a row. That first game of the season against Auburn is going to be really, really important for Washington. They not only have to win, but look real good winning, if they want a shot, imo. After this past seasons bowl performance by the whole conference the committee's won't want to be doing the pac 12 any favors next season.

Plus, Oregon's athletic director is now head of the playoff selection committee, so, Screw Washington! lol

I also have a hard time seeing how this will be washington's best team. Losing Vita Vea on the defense will have the same effect as losing John Ross on the offense. Those are guys that make everything easier for the other 10 players on the field. Gaines is good, but he's not the dynamic player that Vea is. I think they have weaknesses in the pass rush, and weaknesses in the passing game as long as Browning is QB.

All that said, if i had to bet my house on who would win the Pac 12, I would put it on Washington. And if everything breaks there way they could make the playoffs. I just dont see it as likely.

sdog1981

Reaction score
They have to be undefeated or one loss team and conference champs. Then they MIGHT make it in. If they are undefeated and conference champs they are in.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":2e7mwfxs said:
I dont see how they can make the playoffs when they're going to finish 2nd in the North to Oregon. :D

Honestly though, I have a feeling the pac12 will probably get shut out for the 2nd year in a row. That first game of the season against Auburn is going to be really, really important for Washington. They not only have to win, but look real good winning, if they want a shot, imo. After this past seasons bowl performance by the whole conference the committee's won't want to be doing the pac 12 any favors next season.

Plus, Oregon's athletic director is now head of the playoff selection committee, so, Screw Washington! lol

I also have a hard time seeing how this will be washington's best team. Losing Vita Vea on the defense will have the same effect as losing John Ross on the offense. Those are guys that make everything easier for the other 10 players on the field. Gaines is good, but he's not the dynamic player that Vea is. I think they have weaknesses in the pass rush, and weaknesses in the passing game as long as Browning is QB.

All that said, if i had to bet my house on who would win the Pac 12, I would put it on Washington. And if everything breaks there way they could make the playoffs. I just dont see it as likely.

I said it "could be" but I am not making any predictions and certainly not making "guarantees" lol.

All indications are that the D-line won't be as good without Vea but I disagree on the level of impact. UDub's linebacker crew is maturing into one of the best in the country and we have a defensive backfield that IS one of the best in the country. I believe new players will emerge on the D-line also.

The thing this team has over all the other teams in the Pac is experience. How that plays out is anyone's guess. I still say that the season hinges on how well the WR's and TE's play.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3ml37gck said:

This is my issue with UW.
He either rehabs that shoulder and gets back to the JB of 2 years ago.
If it's not possible- time to use one of those super freshman.
His weak arm will cost 2 games anyway somewhere during season.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1yuyfj36 said:
JSeahawks":1yuyfj36 said:
Losing Vita Vea on the defense will have the same effect as losing John Ross on the offense. Those are guys that make everything easier for the other 10 players on the field. Gaines is good, but he's not the dynamic player that Vea is. I think they have weaknesses in the pass rush, and weaknesses in the passing game as long as Browning is QB.

They are going to lose less there than you think.

They don't have "one" player that matches Vita, but they have 2 different guys. Jaylen Johnson and Jared Pulu, both look to battle it out for the job. Shane Bowman isn't as athletic as the other two guys, but he's a senior and has a ton of experience so he provides decent depth.

Remember, this is college and a lot of guys get bigger. Johnson was playing at 280 as a Freshman, and Bowman was playing at 273 as a junior. Expect them to beef up a little. Bowman was 245 as a freshman and now he's going into his senior year at 305...

Huskies typically only play 2 defensive linemen, so that line-backing core counts a bit more.

They're built to beat pac 12 offenses up - though, granted they are always going to have an issue with any team that has a monstrous O line and is built to run the ball up the gut... which, in the Pac 12 is only really USC at this point as Stanford is starting to bleed talent.

None of those guys are guys you have to gameplan around though which was kind of my point. UW has a ton of really good football players but who are the true game changers? I'd say Gaskin on offense and maybe Trey Adams as much as 1 o'linemen can be a game changer. (Also Hunter Bryant and Salvon Ahmed probably will be eventually, but not yet).

On defense I dont see any. I think Taylor Rapp is probably the best defensive player, but i dont think he's someone you'd have to gameplan around. Vita Vea was a game changer. Johnson and Bowman might be solid players but there are no indications that they'll be guys you have to specifically game plan for.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The Dub is currently held back by Jake Browning.

This is coming from a die hard Huskies fan, but Browning is not a QB that can win the big game.

His skill set will not bring the Dawgs to the next level.

chris98251

Reaction score
The way I look at Browning is exactly how the Mediaots look at Russell Wilson but are wrong, Browning is a Game manager that sometimes has big games but with good pieces around him can look more competent then his skill set, he doesn't that it factor that elevates other players.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":3edeb4us said:
The_Z_Man":3edeb4us said:
JSeahawks":3edeb4us said:
Losing Vita Vea on the defense will have the same effect as losing John Ross on the offense. Those are guys that make everything easier for the other 10 players on the field. Gaines is good, but he's not the dynamic player that Vea is. I think they have weaknesses in the pass rush, and weaknesses in the passing game as long as Browning is QB.

They are going to lose less there than you think.

They don't have "one" player that matches Vita, but they have 2 different guys. Jaylen Johnson and Jared Pulu, both look to battle it out for the job. Shane Bowman isn't as athletic as the other two guys, but he's a senior and has a ton of experience so he provides decent depth.

Remember, this is college and a lot of guys get bigger. Johnson was playing at 280 as a Freshman, and Bowman was playing at 273 as a junior. Expect them to beef up a little. Bowman was 245 as a freshman and now he's going into his senior year at 305...

Huskies typically only play 2 defensive linemen, so that line-backing core counts a bit more.

They're built to beat pac 12 offenses up - though, granted they are always going to have an issue with any team that has a monstrous O line and is built to run the ball up the gut... which, in the Pac 12 is only really USC at this point as Stanford is starting to bleed talent.

None of those guys are guys you have to gameplan around though which was kind of my point. UW has a ton of really good football players but who are the true game changers? I'd say Gaskin on offense and maybe Trey Adams as much as 1 o'linemen can be a game changer. (Also Hunter Bryant and Salvon Ahmed probably will be eventually, but not yet).

On defense I dont see any. I think Taylor Rapp is probably the best defensive player, but i dont think he's someone you'd have to gameplan around. Vita Vea was a game changer. Johnson and Bowman might be solid players but there are no indications that they'll be guys you have to specifically game plan for.

I think you are concentrating too much on the whole "game-changer" thing J. What defensive coaches want is disciplined defenders who stay home and do their job. Defense, much more than offense, is a team game.