Seattle 2017 draft given a "C"

ivotuk

Reaction score
Head it on 710. Tried to find a link but couldn't. But here's a link to Seahawks.com and a list of their 2017 draft haul.

I think Ethan Pocic, Shaquill Griffin, and Nazair Jones will all eventually make the Pro Bowl

DT Malik McDowell, Michigan State

The Pick: Round 2, No. 35 Overall

OL Ethan Pocic, LSU

The Pick: Round 2, No. 58 Overall

CB Shaquill Griffin, Central Florida

The Pick: Round 3, No. 90 Overall

SS Delano Hill, Michigan

The Pick: Round 3, No. 95 Overall

DT Nazair Jones, North Carolina

The Pick: Round 3, No. 102 Overall

WR Amara Darboh, Michigan

The Pick: Round 3, No. 106 Overall

FS Tedric Thompson, Colorado

The Pick: Round 4, No. 111 Overall

CB Mike Tyson, Cincinnati

The Pick: Round 6, No. 187 Overall

OT Justin Senior, Mississippi State

The Pick: Round 6, No. 210 Overall

WR David Moore, East Central University

The Pick: Round 7, No. 226 Overall

RB Chris Carson, Oklahoma State

The Pick: Round 7, No. 249 Overall

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/04/29 ... raft-class

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
It's an odd year when your best draft selection was a seventh-rounder who missed three-quarters of the season, but that was 2017 in Seattle. Though limited by injury, Carson flashed the talent to be a workhorse. His poor health opened up the door for other young backs, including Mike Davis and J.D. McKissic, but no one outran Russell Wilson. Griffin's selection will prove to be most important this offseason, as major changes are expected in the leaking Legion of Boom. Pocic made the PFWA All-Rookie Team filling in at guard, but Pro Football Focus was not fond of his play (next-to-last among qualified guards). The jury is obviously out on McDowell, who missed the whole year after suffering an injury in an ATV accident. GRADE: C

Combine/free agency focus: It's the same thing every year in Seattle -- fix the offensive line. With Darrell Bevell and Tom Cable out, perhaps those changes will happen organically (i.e., schematically). But GM John Schneider must again put the onus on building around Wilson -- protecting Wilson -- in this year's draft. In anticipation of a mass exodus on defense, the 'Hawks should look at acquiring defensive backs this offseason. And more help at the skill positions never hurts. Behind Doug Baldwin, secondaries don't fear a single Seahawks receiver on every down, and both tight ends, Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson, are impending free agents.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... with-49ers

Mojambo

Reaction score
"C" is entirely fair given that they whiffed on their first selection. When you factor that in, this has to be one of the better regarded drafts by Seattle in quite a while.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
yeah, that first pick was the one that hurts. A handful of what looks to be great players were taken between where we started at #26 and where we ended at #35. And maybe even a couple players directly after the pick at #35.

TraDavious White, T,J. Watt, Reuben Foster, Ryan Ramczyk, Cam Robinson all had very good to great rookie seasons. Kevin King, who so many wanted, was hurt - maybe he becomes one of them. Forrest Lamp was hurt, maybe him too. Budha Baker taken directly after had a pretty solid rookie season if i'm not mistaken.

Wasn't the year to miss on that pick when there were cornerstone players to be had.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Shane Falco":146sqryu said:
yeah, that first pick was the one that hurts. A handful of what looks to be great players were taken between where we started at #26 and where we ended at #35. And maybe even a couple players directly after the pick at #35.

TraDavious White, T,J. Watt, Reuben Foster, Ryan Ramczyk, Cam Robinson all had very good to great rookie seasons. Kevin King, who so many wanted, was hurt - maybe he becomes one of them. Forrest Lamp was hurt, maybe him too. Budha Baker taken directly after had a pretty solid rookie season if i'm not mistaken.

Wasn't the year to miss on that pick when there were cornerstone players to be had.

Ramczyk played very well, Cam Robinson struggled pretty badly at LT though. He has potential but he wasn't good at all this past year. Foster did good but he's a nut as we've seen.

McDowell is heartbreaking. Hope he can find his way back on the field to utilize some of that potential of his. We need some rookie-deal talent badly.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I feel like that is a little harsh.

I'm confident that with Pocic's development you'll be able to look at that draft and see 3-4 very good starters Naz, Shaq, Pocic and Carson with two of them perhaps being very very good (Shaq and Carson).

Yeah, the opportunity cost with McDowell hurts. But look at 2011, that was a great draft on the strength of the guys outside of the first two rounds as well (KJ,Sherm,Max,Malcolm, Doug in UDFA).

Ragrdless of what happens with Malik, if you get 4 good players that's a good class.

I also have to disagree with the writeup saying Carson was the best pick. Shaq in the 3rd is the crown jewel of the class.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is why you wait three years to evaluate a class, how can you rank it if the guys got injured, they were never ever able to show their contributions and skill sets and improvements.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I think Naz is going to be the cream of the crop. Dude's a beast.

kobebryant

Reaction score
chris98251":3f9wta2a said:
This is why you wait three years to evaluate a class, how can you rank it if the guys got injured, they were never ever able to show their contributions and skill sets and improvements.

Exactly. If Naz, Shaq, Pocic and Carson are even what we can conservatively expect them to be in 3-4 years with a decent run of health, it makes for a really nice draft.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, to early to tell, but a C seem off. Tell me We wouldn't have been happy with Shaq if he was out 1st rd pick? The guy is a heck of a player. NAZ Jones is a beast. If he stays healthy next season lookout. Through in Pocic and possibly Carson and this could be an A 2 years from now.

original poster

Reaction score
I'd grade them slightly higher, personally. Lets hope those grades go up with the 2017 class for the next 3 years!