SPARQ ratings updated

AgentDib

Reaction score
https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/

Here's how the standouts rank athletically against NFL players at their positions. There's still ~40% of the field missing who won't be updated until their pro days.

RB: Saquon Barkley (98.5%), Nick Chubb (85%), Bo Scarborough (83.5%)
WR: Dylan Cantrell (97.2%), DJ Moore (97.1%), Courtland Sutton (86.1%)
TE: Mike Gesicki (99.3%)
OL: Kolton Miller (97%), Brian O'Neill (89.1%)
DL: Taven Bryan (97.1%), James Looney (93.1%)
EDGE: Josh Sweat (95.6%), Harold Landry (87.1%)
LB: Leighton Vander Esch (96%), Matthew Thomas (95.4%), Oren Burks (94.1%)
CB: Denzel Ward (97.9%), Jaire Alexander (90.3%), Avonte Maddox (90.7%)
S: Troy Apke (99.4%), Godwin Igwebuike (96.2%), Justin Reid (95.5%)

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This is BS. I have seen Bradley Chubb play and he is one of the most athletically gifted DE’s you will ever see. I’ve seen him rush QB’s with speed and power. I’ve seen him run down backs in the backfield from behind the play and strip the ball. I’ve seen him cover TE’s and FB’s. You can’t demonstrate any more athleticism than he has shown on the field in game situations. Further more I have seen several of the players ranked ahead of him play on numerous occasions and none of them could carry his jock strap. I have always been skeptical of this fabricated rating and now I have proof that it is a farse. If our office is using this to determine our choices it’s no wonder our recent drafts have been crap.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2ev4e7vi said:
This is BS. I have seen Bradley Chubb play and he is one of the most athletically gifted DE’s you will ever see. I’ve seen him rush QB’s with speed and power. I’ve seen him run down backs in the backfield from behind the play and strip the ball. I’ve seen him cover TE’s and FB’s. You can’t demonstrate any more athleticism than he has shown on the field in game situations. Further more I have seen several of the players ranked ahead of him play on numerous occasions and none of them could carry his jock strap. I have always been skeptical of this fabricated rating and now I have proof that it is a farse. If our office is using this to determine our choices it’s no wonder our recent drafts have been crap.

Chubb's SPARQ score is in the Top 22% of NFL edge rushers. Also, most of the edge prospects ahead of Chubb and Davenport are not as big. The SPARQiest athletes in the NFL tend to play this position.

This is definitely the deepest area of this particular draft. We already see nine DEs in the Top 38%, and that will only increase after the Pro Days.

drrew

Reaction score
Mike Gesicki is going to be Greg Olsen 2.0.

Would love to find a way to get him, but the Hawks just don't have the draft capital at the moment and there are bigger needs.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Josh Sweat is an intriguing athlete. I'm going to pay more attention to him now. His 1.55s 10-yard split is amazing. That's Cliff Avril territory. In addition, he had a 39.5'' vert and 10.33' broad jump. :shock:

Harold Landry's agility times are off the charts. He can definitely turn a sharp corner.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Oren Burks might be a good big safety (he started there) prospect. Special teams for sure.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3cior1cn said:
Josh Sweat is an intriguing athlete. I'm going to pay more attention to him now. His 1.55s 10-yard split is amazing. That's Cliff Avril territory. In addition, he had a 39.5'' vert and 10.33' broad jump. :shock:

Harold Landry's agility times are off the charts. He can definitely turn a sharp corner.

Not only are his combine numbers amazing, but his length is freakish. 84+ inch wingspan at 6'5", 251. Definitely got my attention.

OP
OP
AgentDib

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm not as high on Gesicki for the Hawks simply because it seems like we really need more traditional blocking TE. That being said, he'll probably get like 800 yards and 6 TDs for the Patriots next season.

brimsalabim":2u8qtfdw said:
I have always been skeptical of this fabricated rating and now I have proof that it is a farse.
I do think the Hawks have maybe gone overboard with this in the past, but part of Carroll's core philosophy is developmental coaching and prioritizing raw athleticism. Translating athleticism to game day speed is definitely coachable and in a perfect world we'd have the talent to allow our rookies to redshirt a year.

That being said, there was an interesting point in one of the latest EconTalks about the difficulty of estimating the ability of a study participant to learn a subject. Apparently it's a hot issue for developmental psychologists at the moment and we don't have a great method at the moment for identifying whether potential candidates can learn specific skills ahead of time. In my view this supports the idea that you're better off taking more shots at more players rather than putting all your eggs in a single Aaron Curry.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1n5351g6 said:

I don't think it's a farce, per se. It's just a rating to help determine raw athleticism using test numbers.

Just a diagnostic tool - it doesn't paint to full picture, but I do believe it to be a useful rating.