I have a feeling... [possible first pick]

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
...that the first pick for us will be Josh Sweat out of Florida State.

6'5", 251 with an 85 inch wingspan. Long as hell, ran a 4.53 at combine.

I think they're looking for either pass rusher or running back with their top pick, whether they trade it down or not. Sweat fills a need and has a freakish body/athleticism.

original poster

Reaction score
I'd be very surprised in the first IMO. With a trade back or getting access to a mid to late second, but not in the first round.

I don't see Seattles first pick being that late either. It will almost certainly be in the late first or early second.

12forlife

Reaction score
original poster":33jjfn6f said:
I'd be very surprised in the first IMO. With a trade back or getting access to a mid to late second, but not in the first round.

I don't see Seattles first pick being that late either. It will almost certainly be in the late first or early second.

Yeeeeah I don't think so, agree with the slight trade down, but I imagine with the emphasis being put on getting the run game back on track, they use their 1st pick on a G that slides like Wynn, Daniels or Price to pair next to Brown, and with the 2nd or 3rd pick being used on a RB, maybe vise versa.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
12forlife":1bemyp95 said:
original poster":1bemyp95 said:

Yeeeeah I don't think so, agree with the slight trade down, but I imagine with the emphasis being put on getting the run game back on track, they use their 1st pick on a G that slides like Wynn, Daniels or Price to pair next to Brown, and with the 2nd or 3rd pick being used on a RB, maybe vise versa.

I could see that. I think it's either DE or RB with first pick, leaning DE. Guard is in play, but I think I see them passing until 4th or later. Fluker and Pocic go into camp as starters and Roos, Odhiambo, and rookie/UDFA's try to knock them out of the lineup.

I think Josh Sweat will rise up boards and might be exactly what Seattle is looking for. I wouldn't put it past them to trade back into late 20's and pick him up there.

12forlife

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":df2a9bt3 said:
12forlife":df2a9bt3 said:
original poster":df2a9bt3 said:

I could see that. I think it's either DE or RB with first pick, leaning DE. Guard is in play, but I think I see them passing until 4th or later. Fluker and Pocic go into camp as starters and Roos, Odhiambo, and rookie/UDFA's try to knock them out of the lineup.

I think Josh Sweat will rise up boards and might be exactly what Seattle is looking for. I wouldn't put it past them to trade back into late 20's and pick him up there.

Not to discredit Sweat, cause he does appear to be "Seahawky". I just see how we sit today, our biggest needs being assuming we get Maxwell resigned, which needs to be priority 1. Our biggest needs being OG, RB, LB or CB. I'm not 100% sure I'm willing to bet Pocic is strong enough (hope so) just not sure? Depending on Carson we definetly need to hedge that bet, would love to see Chubb, Johnson or Penny if we go early, liking John Kelly, Ito Smith or Roc Thomas mid rd.
I like our LB core with the Mingo signing, but behind KJ, Wags & Mingo there isn't any depth. We aren't horrible @ DE with Clark, Jordan & Smith. With a slight trade down from #18, 20's-30's, if they did decide to go D I really like Lorenzo LB Georgia or CB Oliver Colorado, but who knows with PC/JS behind the gun they'll probably trade pack to the late 2nd and take the TCU mascot, we desperately need a Horned Frog! :roll:

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think Tackle is more of a need than Guard. I think there are several bodies that can be thrown into the guard competition, not so much with tackle. That said, I doubt they go tackle with their first pick. I would think dline, with a possible CB. RB gets addressed with a pick they gain from trading back.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I have a feeling if they are able to trade back to late R1, Chubb is a guy they take a long look at. He checks all the boxes of what Pete wants in a running back. He's also a workhorse, always trying to get better, and his interviews show he has a chip on his shoulder. I think he's a perfect fit if they want to get back to smash mouth football. Quick feet with power and finishes all his runs hard.

pcbball12

Reaction score
I won’t sit here and say he WONT be the pick, but he shouldn’t be. Sweat has all of the athleticism you look for, and is actually very stout against the run and sets the edge very well. However, he just does not do it as a rusher. His get off is average at best, which it shouldn’t be due to his athleticism. He has ok bend. But he just is not the player you would think he is with his athletic profile. Could he have a ton of untapped potential as a rusher, of course. Not too different from Frank Clark in college really. But I don’t know if that’s the bet I want to take in round 1 this year.

DE is a definite need, and if the right guy was there at 18 or after a trade down I’d be all over it. But this is a weak edge class all around. Short of Chubb (top 5 Lock) and Davenport (highly unlikely he escapes top 10 IMO when all is said and done) this class really lacks edge players. Harold Landry is a guy they will probably like too. But he is a complete liability against the run right now and had a pretty bad 2017 year as a rusher. But he was so dominant in 2015 an 2016 I could see them being really high on him. But again, no way I’m staying at 18 and taking him there.

A guy I love is Duke Ejiofor. I think he flashes more as a rusher than either of those 2, and is far better against the run than Landry. And you could probably get him somewhere in round 2 if you can find a way to get a pick there.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It's a need. It's totally a need. And it fits the pattern of this front office. For sure.

Rob Staton agrees on Seahawks Draft Blog that Sweat will be a target.

I just am generally uneasy about players whose rise up draft boards has more to do with their performance in shorts than their performance in pads. Sweat is one of those, I think.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
mistaowen":1lfcx5tp said:
I have a feeling if they are able to trade back to late R1, Chubb is a guy they take a long look at. He checks all the boxes of what Pete wants in a running back. He's also a workhorse, always trying to get better, and his interviews show he has a chip on his shoulder. I think he's a perfect fit if they want to get back to smash mouth football. Quick feet with power and finishes all his runs hard.

Except he seems to have fumbling issues. My dream would be to figure out a way to move up and get Quenton Nelson.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1u5vgtfi said:
mistaowen":1u5vgtfi said:

Except he seems to have fumbling issues. My dream would be to figure out a way to move up and get Quenton Nelson.
I have bashed ND players as of late anyway going into NFL BUT the OL guys
should be considered seperate from that beause they are very good.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1btv4j55 said:
seahawkfreak":1btv4j55 said:
mistaowen":1btv4j55 said:

I have bashed ND players as of late anyway going into NFL BUT the OL guys
should be considered seperate from that beause they are very good.

Yeah they do have a great history of offensive linemen. At least since I've been watching college football since 86'. It would be interesting to see if they could get/deserve the "O-Line U" title.