Draft rumor: Seahawks will trade 18th pick to Browns

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLDraftBites/status/979503863911931905[/tweet]

Speculation is the Browns want OT Connor Williams. That would give the Browns three first round picks: a QB (Darnold or Allen), maybe Saquon Barkley with their 4th pick, and possibly Connor Williams, one of the best run blockers in this class.

If true, too bad on Connor Williams. He's a terrific prospect, and they get the fifth-year option.

I'm guessing the idea has been broached, but nothing set in stone. If you are going to trade out of the first round, it might as well be for the 33rd pick. Browns also have the 35th and 64th picks in the 2nd round.

According to the (overused) Value Chart, pick 18 is worth 900. Picks 33 & 64 = 850.

sutz

Reaction score
Sounds about right. No way they go all of day 2 with no picks at all. This would work for me.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think that is a good move by the Browns. That organization sucks and I think anything they can do to keep quality players around longer is a good thing. That 5th year option is probably more valuable for them than for any other team.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
So Seattle trade's the 18th pick in the draft for the 33 pick and the 64th . We need more than that I think.

HawkGA

Reaction score
What would it take to fill in the gap of the 50 point differential? I assume somebody has the Draft Value Chart handy?

drrew

Reaction score
HawkGA":36q5xz9c said:
What would it take to fill in the gap of the 50 point differential? I assume somebody has the Draft Value Chart handy?

50 points is near the end of the fourth.

If Seattle could get 33, 64, and a swap of fourths, they'd have made out well.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Good grief the Browns certainly don’t need a good run blocking ol more than we do!

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Another thought is that Cleveland will want to hold on to the 33rd pick because of the power that comes from being able to choose the best of the rest on that second day.

In which case, I could see them giving up Nos. 35 (550 chart value), 64 (270), and 114 (66) for 18.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seahawks General Manager John Schneider said his team has a new chart, updated this year because this is the first year when compensatory picks can be traded. Schneider also indicated that the Seahawks know other teams around the league are valuing picks the same way.

“It’s based off of that, but now being able to trade compensatory picks, [Seahawks V.P. of Football Administration] Matt Thomas and a bunch of guys got together from different teams and put a new chart together so we’re following that now but it’s based off the same principle. It’s a scale,” Schneider said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ade-chart/

Interesting. So they aren't using the standard value chart, but rather something like this:
DZfFwkPVMAApjyX

naholmes

Reaction score
I would love it if they could find a way to get both high second picks from Cleveland and select two offensive players, probably a guard and either RB or TE. Some of the top guards will probably fall into the second round, as happened last year. They might be able to find a RB later on but any TE picked in the middle rounds will likely be a project (which might be OK with the Dickson signing).

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The song remains the same? I was hoping that we would go against the failed tendencies of the past four drafts and use our high pick on an impact player that can come in and dominate as a starter and not trade back into the late rounds to add more “depth” to a team roster already loaded with it while lacking true “starter talent” at so many key rolls. If we trade the 18th for two high 2nds that is something but to give up a pick that high in order to mass 5th to 7th round picks would be a mistake.

cheese22

Reaction score
Of all years to trade down and add extra picks, this is the year to do it. The past several years they've done it when I wished they would use the higher pick to get that impact guy, especially because there were less glaring holes to fill. Now, the year they need those extra picks the most, it sounds like it's been difficult to find someone that wants to move up. Figures.

sutz

Reaction score
cheese22":3jt830w5 said:
Of all years to trade down and add extra picks, this is the year to do it. The past several years they've done it when I wished they would use the higher pick to get that impact guy, especially because there were less glaring holes to fill. Now, the year they need those extra picks the most, it sounds like it's been difficult to find someone that wants to move up. Figures.
It's all about leverage. Teams know we're looking to trade down since we do it every year. Probably depends heavily on who falls to 18 and what team might want that player. People wanting "star" picks are over influenced by their Fantasy Football roots and want a Seahawk they can draft. JMO, of course. Frankly, I think we could use 2-3 players from Day 2 more than one boom or bust first rounder. The real meat of the draft is in Rds 2-4.

chris98251

Reaction score
Redskins used to always trade down or trade picks for established players and teams looked to make deals with them all the time, now Patriots seemingly also always trade down and grab extra picks, we do the same thing.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I'd be happy with this trade. Browns need an OT, Seahawks need more picks in rounds 2-4 where they reasonably can get one or two starters, JS and their GM are buddies. Some good players fall into that range and would immediately improve the run game.

I would like them to get Ronald Jones but he may go before their first pick if traded. Chubb and one of the OG's would be nice.

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":kiapdh0a said:
cheese22":kiapdh0a said:
It's all about leverage. Teams know we're looking to trade down since we do it every year. Probably depends heavily on who falls to 18 and what team might want that player. People wanting "star" picks are over influenced by their Fantasy Football roots and want a Seahawk they can draft. JMO, of course. Frankly, I think we could use 2-3 players from Day 2 more than one boom or bust first rounder. The real meat of the draft is in Rds 2-4.

I would agree with this. I think in the years the team was good, they actually should have been trading up, trying to add a stud or two each year to improve the roster. Instead, they traded back and added junk hoping that something would stick. But there weren't enough holes for something to stick at.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":35iw4gmd said:
sutz":35iw4gmd said:
cheese22":35iw4gmd said:

I would agree with this. I think in the years the team was good, they actually should have been trading up, trying to add a stud or two each year to improve the roster. Instead, they traded back and added junk hoping that something would stick. But there weren't enough holes for something to stick at.
Or maybe the competition was so good, they couldn't win a spot. ;)

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":2jmvt2zn said:
HawkGA":2jmvt2zn said:
sutz":2jmvt2zn said:
cheese22":2jmvt2zn said:

Or maybe the competition was so good, they couldn't win a spot. ;)

But that's what I mean. You had few spots to fill, so why try to throw a bunch of bodies at it. Better to find good bodies and pick your spots. Didn't do the Seahawks a lot of good to have a lot of "talent" on the waiver wire.