Hawk Mock, no trades, plus players we may target

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Round 1, Pick 18: Rasheem Green, DT/DE, USC
Why: Green is a tweener that can play inside on pass rush downs and set the edge in running situations. A rotational player that I suspect may be high on the board for PC/JS. Fills a need.

I don't think Green should or will go this high. If he ends up a Seahawk, I think its likely he's selected in the early second round where he presents a much better value than at 18. (35-45.) I'm placing him here because I believe that when it all shakes out, Green has the highest likelihood of being our first pick in 2018.

There's some concern about his knee, as well. We'll see how teams feel about it come Thursday (or, maybe Friday.)

Round 4, Pick 120: John Kelly, RB, Tennessee
Why: This pick is a got dang steal. I don't expect the Seahawks to take a running back early - instead, I expect them to take a guy who falls due to the immense RB depth this draft displays. There will be great bang-for-buck at running back in the mid rounds this year.

Kelly displays bell-cow traits - he's built well at 5'9", 216 pounds. He runs with anger and shows off a mean stiff-arm. He is average to above average in the ball security department. He was used in the passing game in the Volunteers offense in 2017, racking up 300 yards on 37 receptions.

There are some character concerns. He was suspended one game last year after getting busted with a pot misdemeanor. I think the talent outweighs the risk at 120, especially considering that probably 3/4ths of NFL players use marijuana. It just depends on if you get caught or not.

Round 5, Pick 141: Brandon Facyson, CB, Virginia Tech
Why: Facyson checks the measurement boxes - 6'2", 32.625 inch arms. He ran better than his game tape would lead you to expect in Indy at 4.53. He's big and can contest the ball. He's also a great tackler on the edge - PFF had him third in tackling efficiency among all ACC corners with over 600 snaps.

Put him on a team with the best secondary guy in the league as head coach, and he may be able to unlock some of that limitless potential.

Round 5, Pick 146: Natrell Jamerson, FS, Wisconsin
Why: I freakin' love Jamerson. 4.4 speed, 25 reps on the bench. He's a good athlete. He's played at nickel corner and done a decent job. He's a special teams ace, very good gunner. Has done kick returns, took one to the house out of 20 total as a sophomore. Hon. Mention All Big Ten safety in his first year at the position.

He's 6'0", 198. He isn't a big hitter, but he can tackle. He's got swagger to his game. I believe in him. I really hope they take him and put him behind Earl.

Here's a quick highlight tape:

There is adult language in the music accompanying the highlight film. Mute if this will offend you.

[youtube]b5yx50uj6Yw[/youtube]

Round 5, Pick 156 Byron Pringle, WR, Kansas State
Why: This front-office has a thing for Kansas State wide receivers. Chris Harper and Lockett are two examples. They've met with Pringle, who has decent size at 6'2", 205 and also some decent production. Depth at WR would be welcome and Pringle isn't the worst you could do at this stage in the draft.

Tre'Quan Smith is my first choice here, but I think he goes in the 4th. Just a hunch.

Round 5, Pick 168 Alex Cappa, OT/OG, Humboldt St.
Why: IF he's still here, and that is a big IF, he should be the pick. This dude is absolutely nasty. He hasn't faced elite talent in game situations, but his tape is that of a bulldozer. He's one of the meanest dudes I've seen. He threw people around at the Senior Bowl, including first-rounder Marcus Davenport.

I don't think he's here at this juncture, but if Carroll really wants to shore up the running game and wants the offense to impose their will upon the opposing defense, then Cappa is an A+ pick.

Now, I know many of you are probably upset that this is the first offensive lineman taken in this mock. I didn't include any until now because:

1. Restocking the defense is probably a better use of draft capital.
2. DJ Fluker is a good stopgap signing and I don't see a major need at OL personnel-wise.
3. Schneider has shown regret in recent interviews about need-based drafting, IIRC. That screams to me that "we're not drafting OL just because." He's also confirmed that the draft board is now smaller for Seattle. I'd say they're considering intangibles more - like the NASTY Cappa brings.
4. They preach continuity on the line as the best way to go forward. I don't think they're looking to replace guys as much as they are looking to bring in competition to push the starters further.

Moving on:

Round 7, Pick 226 Kyle Allen, QB, Houston
Why: Don't be surprised if Seattle picks a QB earlier. They want competition.

They've been linked to Kyle Allen and probably want a backup on a rookie contract.

Round 7, Pick 248 Griffin Oakes, K, Indiana
Why: Blair Walsh is why. Secure your rights to a decent prospect at K here, and have him duke it out against Sea-Bass and Jason Myers. If Sebastian's back isn't good to go, you don't want Jason Myers as your only option. Can't guarantee a UDFA would sign with you, either. Just take one here in the last few picks and call it a competition at kicker.

Round 7, Pick 250 Ito Smith, RB, Southern Miss
Why: He's an electric little fella, and he's been linked to Seattle with a private workout. May not make it down here.

Prospects to watch for Seattle, mostly due to either visits or rumored interest:

Poona Ford
Isaiah Oliver
Carlton Davis
Shaquem
RoJo
Dorance Armstrong Jr.
Tony Brown (CB, but I think they put him at FS..)
Austin Corbitt
Marcell Harris
Ronnie Harrison (would love this)
Mo Hurst
Holton Hill
Christian Kirk
Dante Pettis
Vita Vea
Justin Reid
Josh Sweat (high likelihood of him being selected by Seattle imo)
Will Dissly
Ade Aruna (no visit or anything - I just really like him)
Cole Madison
Billy Price
Tim Settle
James Looney

ivotuk

Reaction score
Good draft. I'm a John Kelly fan but I think size and the pot deal might drop him to the 5th or 6th. JMHO though and I could be way off.

What you said here is gospel:

1. Restocking the defense is probably a better use of draft capital.

2. DJ Fluker is a good stopgap signing and I don't see a major need at OL personnel-wise.

3. Schneider has shown regret in recent interviews about need-based drafting, IIRC. That screams to me that "we're not drafting OL just because." He's also confirmed that the draft board is now smaller for Seattle. I'd say they're considering intangibles more - like the NASTY Cappa brings.

4. They preach continuity on the line as the best way to go forward. I don't think they're looking to replace guys as much as they are looking to bring in competition to push the starters further.

I think with Cable gone that our OLine will improve because Solari will focus on teaching guys the position that they are good at. And not teaching them to play all 5 positions just in case...

Sick of drafting OLinemen that have failed. Wayyyy too much draft capital has been invested there. It's time to get 5 guys and keep them there!! Use your draft capital on defense, where you know what you're doing.

Thank you for taking the time to do this :2thumbs:

nanomoz

Reaction score
Great list of players that all make sense for the Hawks. Well done, I think.

Turay in the fifth would be a coup. I doubt he falls that far, but you could be right, medical sometimes makes great players fall a bit too far.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Like the draft, I'd assume if there was a trade down that acquired additional picks, I'd hope they would go to LB & WR.
Also, they need to bring in a punter as an UDFA, example P-Trevor Daniel, for punter competition & some potential cap savings ----> if he wins the job.
:smilingalien:

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
ivotuk":3if3fzh9 said:
Sick of drafting OLinemen that have failed. Wayyyy too much draft capital has been invested there. It's time to get 5 guys and keep them there!! Use your draft capital on defense, where you know what you're doing.

Thank you for taking the time to do this :2thumbs:

Agree completely. Time to draft what they're good at drafting. I'm excited for this draft with the significantly smaller, harder-to-get-on draft board.

I love making these, haha. Draft season is my favorite.

nanomoz":3if3fzh9 said:
Great list of players that all make sense for the Hawks. Well done, I think.

Turay in the fifth would be a coup. I doubt he falls that far, but you could be right, medical sometimes makes great players fall a bit too far.

I actually changed the Turay pick. I've been looking at some info and I think that, if he ends up falling, he probably won't make it past mid-fourth round. Went WR instead in Byron Pringle, who I feel is a likely pick late. There's a hole for a pass-rusher in the Avril mold in the draft, but they're not going to be able to fill every hole this draft. They'll pick up some more picks than I had to work with here, that'll give them an opportunity.

CamanoIslandJQ":3if3fzh9 said:
Like the draft, I'd assume if there was a trade down that acquired additional picks, I'd hope they would go to LB & WR.
Also, they need to bring in a punter as an UDFA, example P-Trevor Daniel, for punter competition & some potential cap savings ----> if he wins the job.
:smilingalien:

Hey CamanoIslandJQ, thanks. I love reading your posts on lesser-known prospects, and especially enjoyed your posts on K/P. That's why Oakes made it into the mock, actually!

I also hope they go punter in UDFA and get one of the better ones. If they beat Ryan in camp, that cap could prove to be especially useful considering how tight things are currently.

Latest posts