A case for staying at 18

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Let me just say i hope they trade down we cant sit out this 2nd and 3rd rd....but hear me out. With the potential for 5 qbs to be taken b4 us and teams usually reaching on qbs. that means we could theoretically have the 10th or so best player on our board at 18.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
This really only makes sense if we trade Earl. The talent differential between pick 18 and the middle second round isn't great enough to justify taking one player vs two or possibly even three.

kidhawk

Reaction score
As with everything on draft day it depends on what happens in front of us. I'm not ready to say we should stay or we should move back. If we can get a unique talent at 18 that fills a huge need for us right away who won't be available by trading back, then we should grab him. If we can move back and still obtain him, then that is also worth consideration, as we don't have many early picks this year.

The only scenario I feel comfortable with saying I don't want to see, is us moving up in the draft. We don't have the current draft capital to pull that off.

Chapow

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3bz36xp0 said:
The talent differential between pick 18 and the middle second round isn't great enough to justify taking one player vs two or possibly even three.

That all depends on who's still on the board at 18. If a guy like Vita Vea or Derwin James is still on the board, I'd say the talent differential between those guys and middle of the second round guys is probably pretty large.

And yes, I realize it's unlikely that a guy like Vea or James is still available at 18, but you never know. Unexpected things happen at every draft.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Vita Vea, sure. But he's a top 15 lock. Derwin James i'm not a huge fan of. Plus, i'm not of the opinion that safety is a huge need. Thomas and McDougal are still on the team, and the Hawks spent two third round picks on the position last draft. Lets see what we have there before we go investing pick number 18.

A top DL prospect like Vea falling is the only thing that would make me think twice. Other than that, nope. Give me some second and third rounders. Lots of value in the middle of this draft class.

Chapow

Reaction score
Vea and James were just examples. The point was that you just can't know if a statement like the one you made is true or not until the draft is actually underway and getting close to pick 18. It's entirely possible that there will be a guy (or guys) available at 18 that would represent a significant talent differential between them and guys that will be available in the middle of the 2nd.

Value is great and all, but I'd rather see this team get a real difference maker if one's available than "get good value".

Difference makers are hard to come by, solid contributors aren't really.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":1hhuut8h said:
Vea and James were just examples. The point was that you just can't know if a statement like the one you made is true or not until the draft is actually underway and getting close to pick 18. It's entirely possible that there will be a guy (or guys) available at 18 that would represent a significant talent differential between them and guys that will be available in the middle of the 2nd.

Value is great and all, but I'd rather see this team get a real difference maker if one's available than "get good value".

Difference makers are hard to come by, solid contributors aren't really.

This is kind of where I'm at. I don't think we should spend more picks to move up to find a difference maker type of player, but if one falls in our lap at 18 we'd be fools to trade down to pick someone who would only grade out to be a solid contributor.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Honestly, my biggest issue with staying put is the fact that it means missing out on a top RB. If we don't leave this draft with one of Guice, Jones, Penny, or Chubb I am going to be very disapointed..

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
If the latest mock drafts hold up Seattle can trade down and still get there RB of choice. With the possible exception of Guice who could be taken in the late first round. Jones, Penny, Sony, Chubb will likely all be available. Is that worth passing on a potential star player like Marcus Davenport ,Vita Vea ,DJ Moore or Josh Jackson probably not. . I would stay at 18 and take BPA and trade Earl for a second round pick to NE or Dallas. I fully expect them to trade down Thursday and who knows maybe that's the smart move we'll see . What I do know is this if they don't come out of this draft with an impact player they hosed this draft big time.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2w5jhd4k said:
Honestly, my biggest issue with staying put is the fact that it means missing out on a top RB. If we don't leave this draft with one of Guice, Jones, Penny, or Chubb I am going to be very disapointed..

NE has two second round picks so do some other teams they can get a second for Earl take BPA at 18 and still get one of those RB's in the second round. Or better yet trade into the late 20's for our 18 and get a second round pick from a team that has a player they really like with our pick.