Instant reaction: Seahawks take Penny, 49ers spoil trade?

ivotuk

Reaction score

He’s a solid second round running back taken at #27.

So what do we make of that?

It’ll surprise many just because his second name isn’t ‘Chubb’, ‘Jones II’, ‘Johnson’, ‘Guice’ or ‘Michel’. Yet the Seahawks had their pick of the bunch and took their guy. Had they taken Nick Chubb or Ronald Jones II, most would’ve applauded the move (unless your part of the anti-run movement).

They clearly think Penny is a better option. So give them the benefit of the doubt and let’s see how he gets on.

Ideally they would’ve been able to move down a few more spots and take Penny. Clearly that deal wasn’t available.

Earlier today I called for the Seahawks to try to fix the run. For that reason, I think this was a positive move.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com

hawknation2018

Reaction score
ivotuk":9kawt7q7 said:

It’ll surprise many just because his second name isn’t ‘Chubb’, ‘Jones II’, ‘Johnson’, ‘Guice’ or ‘Michel’. Yet the Seahawks had their pick of the bunch and took their guy. Had they taken Nick Chubb or Ronald Jones II, most would’ve applauded the move (unless your part of the anti-run movement).

They clearly think Penny is a better option. So give them the benefit of the doubt and let’s see how he gets on.

Ideally they would’ve been able to move down a few more spots and take Penny. Clearly that deal wasn’t available.

Earlier today I called for the Seahawks to try to fix the run. For that reason, I think this was a positive move.

I would have felt the same way had they taken Chubb.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3o4jdg2d said:
ivotuk":3o4jdg2d said:

I would have felt the same way had they taken Chubb.

Or any back that you didn't have as favorite be it Jim Brown, Curt Warner, or Walter Payton.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Upright style making him prone to injuries, choppy little steps, not explosive moving laterally, weak pass protection, and skinny legs. Not one of my Top 4 backs to be sure. If they had taken him in the 3rd, it would have been worth the risk. In such a deep draft for RBs, there was zero reason to blow a first on Penny.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
You have made a great, great pick. Don't pay attention to the fools to think they know something about Rashaad Penny. I live here in San Diego. I have season tickets to the San Diego State Aztecs. I've seen every game he played both home and away in person and on TV. Rashaad Penny is the REAL DEAL!

5'11" 220 lbs. 4.46 forty yard dash. 2,248 yards rushing, 23 TD's. 7 kick return TD's (tied for an FBS record). He also had punt return TD's in addition to that. Which is all the more impressive when you consider they were terrified to even kick to him. They did not kick to him. If they kicked to him he would have 15 return TD's. He is awesome on special teams and awesome as a RB too.

He catches so good that they would line him up wide and send him deep sometimes. Plus he makes plays that way. They thought at one time of putting him at WR because he catches so well.

Stop paying attention to the FOOLS who think they know something about Penny. He is pretty much on par with Barkley for explosive plays. He may have more yards than Barkley. I could see him be offensive rookie of the year. He has the ability. He's hugely explosive with great vision and moves. The so called "experts" and "analysts" just watch nationally televised games. Therefore they see USC, LSU, Georgia and others and assume (wrongly) that those guys are great or better than Penny (they are not). Penny is just from a less known program, does not get the exposure, does not get the nationally televised games. Both posters on here and analysts suffer from this problem. They have not seen him play and they think they so called experts are right. They are wrong!

I will tell you this. Your GM said they would pick him at #18. He is worth every bit of that. He's a STEAL at #27. In fact if he stays healthy and you build your O Line a bit around him people will look back at this draft and wonder why he was picked #27. Because truth be told he is FAR BETTER THAN THAT. You just got a top 10 - 15 player in this draft. He will go to Pro Bowls if he can stay healthy. I wish we got him. But you did. Good for you.

The guys who are complaining about this are soon to be proven badly wrong. Wait and see!

:D

London12

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":1us05a81 said:
You have made a great, great pick. Don't pay attention to the fools to think they know something about Rashaad Penny. I live here in San Diego. I have season tickets to the San Diego State Aztecs. I've seen every game he played both home and away in person and on TV. Rashaad Penny is the REAL DEAL!

5'11" 220 lbs. 4.46 forty yard dash. 2,248 yards rushing, 23 TD's. 7 kick return TD's (tied for an FBS record). He also had punt return TD's in addition to that. Which is all the more impressive when you consider they were terrified to even kick to him. They did not kick to him. If they kicked to him he would have 15 return TD's. He is awesome on special teams and awesome as a RB too.

He catches so good that they would line him up wide and send him deep sometimes. Plus he makes plays that way. They thought at one time of putting him at WR because he catches so well.

Stop paying attention to the FOOLS who think they know something about Penny. He is pretty much on par with Barkley for explosive plays. He may have more yards than Barkley. I could see him be offensive rookie of the year. He has the ability. He's hugely explosive with great vision and moves. The so called "experts" and "analysts" just watch nationally televised games. Therefore they see USC, LSU, Georgia and others and assume (wrongly) that those guys are great or better than Penny (they are not). Penny is just from a less known program, does not get the exposure, does not get the nationally televised games. Both posters on here and analysts suffer from this problem. They have not seen him play and they think they so called experts are right. They are wrong!

I will tell you this. Your GM said they would pick him at #18. He is worth every bit of that. He's a STEAL at #27. In fact if he stays healthy and you build your O Line a bit around him people will look back at this draft and wonder why he was picked #27. Because truth be told he is FAR BETTER THAN THAT. You just got a top 10 - 15 player in this draft. He will go to Pro Bowls if he can stay healthy. I wish we got him. But you did. Good for you.

The guys who are complaining about this are soon to be proven badly wrong. Wait and see!

Well that is a glowing recommendation from a rival fan - I'm choosing to believe you!

pmedic920

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3m8psua8 said:

Thanks for your insight and post.

I didn’t, and still don’t dislike the pick.

We needed a RB, and I find it laughable that so many are bitching about this pick. I’ll give a little credit in that many are more upset about where the pick was made, than who the pick was but fact remains, not taking him at that moment meant the possibility of missing him.

Admittedly we’ve had a hard time getting potentially good RBs to stay healthy, and I’m praying that this kid can but I’m with you, if he stays healthy I see a ton of potential and expect he can be an All Pro RB.

Time will tell but “I’m in”

hawks85

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3n2uali2 said:

I concur, this guy is a monster. A steal for sure. Everybody was bitchin last year about our run game, now we have a hell of a good back.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2cvv7eyx said:
Upright style making him prone to injuries, choppy little steps, not explosive moving laterally, weak pass protection, and skinny legs. Not one of my Top 4 backs to be sure. If they had taken him in the 3rd, it would have been worth the risk. In such a deep draft for RBs, there was zero reason to blow a first on Penny.

I'm going to take SanDiego49's take on him over yours he saw him play every game. Then there's the fact he played well against Stanford Arizona State and in the senior bowl. Not to mention he led the Nation in rushing etc etc etc.

pmedic920

Reaction score
And now it’s up on NFL dot com, Hawks are sayin that they would have taken him @18 if they couldn’t make a trade down that worked.

So they got their target AND a couple of picks from GB.

Makes me like the pick even more.

Side note: same article quotes JS as saying that they even had a team inquiring about a trade AFTER they made the pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... haad-penny

dutchcoug

Reaction score
A lot of people were high on this kid prior to the draft but now seem to be souring on him because of where he was drafted. I'll admit, when the pick was first made, I was a bit confused why we took him in the 1st but after reading more about him, I've changed my tone. I really feel that the Seahawks aren't the only team that had him as the #2 RB on their board.

-Lead the nation in rushing
-High Character, no off the field issues
-Dynamic in the return game
-No significant injury history
-3 down back
-Great receiving back

Guice had off the field issues, Chubb and Michel had serious injury concerns and RoJo had a slight frame and reportedly interviewed poorly. For all we know, if we didn't take him at 27 maybe New England grabs him instead of Michel or if rumors are true, the Browns take him at 33. In a perfect world, we could have traded down into the 2nd round, got a few more picks and still got Penny. But, we either got crap offers to trade down or we knew he wouldn't be there where we trade down.

If he can work on his pass protection (which he's already acknowledging he needs to do), he could be something special.

sutz

Reaction score
When you don't have a 2d Rd pick, taking a 2d Rd talent late in the first makes sense. Besides, if he pans out, we get the 5th year option on him.

:2thumbs:

Own The West

Reaction score
I'm in San Diego too. The one thing that surprised me is to find out how big he is. I assumed he was more like Sproles because he has a knack for getting lost in the pile then squirting out the other side.

Another thing I love about his running style is that he changes direction without slowing down. He's really hard to take down 1:1 in the open field. There's a bunch of tape where he side steps a would be tackler or turns a downfield safety around multiple times all while at top speed.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2rdd3p1h said:

Great post, thank you for that :2thumbs:

Here's the most important stat for Penny: #1 RB for yards after contact. 3.23. Watching his "highlights," a lot of plays, he was met in the backfield by 2, 3, 4, and sometimes 5 D linemen. Especially against Boise State where Van Der Esch blew up their OLine a few times. Dallas struck gold there.

But, maybe even more impressive, according to the analytics site Pro Football Focus, Penny was the toughest running back prospect to take down this past year, gaining 1,295 yards yards after contact.

http://www.wivb.com/sports/buffalo-bill ... 1111835767

Another important stat, fumbles: AVERAGE (100-124)

105.8 -- Rashaad Penny, San Diego State

BELOW AVERAGE (76-99)

98.6 -- Nick Chubb, Georgia

RED FLAG (75 or worse)

66.5 -- Kalen Ballage, Arizona State

54.6 -- Sony Michel, Georgia

https://www.upi.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Fumb ... 518380025/

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
How erratic are NFL writers when evaluating players?

NFL.com Rashaad Penny

Weaknesses

•High-cut, upright runner

•Despite urgency as a runner, won't break many quality tackle attempts

•One-speed runner without a big burst gear to clear first and second level defenders cleanly

•Has modest yards after first contact numbers over the last two seasons

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/rashaad-p ... 8b2759ec0c

"Modest"

TreeRon

Reaction score
Own The West":1xt6wa1b said:
Another thing I love about his running style is that he changes direction without slowing down. He's really hard to take down 1:1 in the open field. There's a bunch of tape where he side steps a would be tackler or turns a downfield safety around multiple times all while at top speed.

I saw this on film as well. Now, pick up his brother from Arizona as a FB and we can give our two cents to the NFC West.

Chapow

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3p2817l9 said:
Upright style making him prone to injuries.

Honestly, this just sounds like you're making crap up because you don't like the pick. Several of the top RB prospects have injury concerns. He's not one of them.

Penny has no history of injuries. Never missed a game in his entire college career.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Chapow":33bcfsqc said:
hawknation2018":33bcfsqc said:
Upright style making him prone to injuries.

Honestly, this just sounds like you're making crap up because you don't like the pick. Several of the top RB prospects have injury concerns. He's not one of them.

Penny has no history of injuries. Never missed a game in his entire college career.

Agreed he doesn't like the pick and that is some tortured logic from Hawknation .