Dante Pettis 2 (44) Washington - 49ers.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Tell me about this guy. I don't know too much about him. As a 49ers fan he was picked in the 2nd round, pick 44 overall to the 49ers. They traded up for him.

I understand he is a speed WR? Is that right? But he apparently was injured and didn't run at the combine and pro day either. Nobody is as fast a John Ross. But he is a speed guy? Does he run good routes? Does he have really good hands? Will he catch everything? Was he a highly productive guy with big numbers? I understand he has return skills. Is that correct? He brought back some returns for TD's.

So tell me bio of this guy and the details of what you know about him. I guess he is about 6'1" 190 lbs. or so. He is not a huge big target. But not a tiny guy either. What is his game like and what do you think about him? I have not watched him much.

I appreciate your input. Nobody should know him better than you guys. So that's why I ask. I look forward to your responses.

OP
OP
S

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
JSeahawks":9rtiagdu said:
His value will be as a returner. Great returner, average receiver.

So is 2 (44) too high for him? I wonder what they see in him? Is he not a good WR? Or he is injured a lot? Can he both KR and PR?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":1inkiqtt said:
JSeahawks":1inkiqtt said:

So is 2 (44) too high for him? I wonder what they see in him? Is he not a good WR? Or he is injured a lot? Can he both KR and PR?

There was a quick little thread on him yesterday, some thought undrafted, some thought 4th or 5th round. I'm an Oregon fan, not a UW fan. But in my opinion he was great his junior year because John Ross took all the attention. I didnt think he was much of a threat his senior year. I dont think he returned kickoffs, but there's no reason he cant. I think he just did punts, where he's deadly. He's more quick then fast i think.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=146457

DJrmb

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1np99qzt said:
SanDiego49er":1np99qzt said:
JSeahawks":1np99qzt said:

There was a quick little thread on him yesterday, some thought undrafted, some thought 4th or 5th round. I'm an Oregon fan, not a UW fan. But in my opinion he was great his junior year because John Ross took all the attention. I didnt think he was much of a threat his senior year. I dont think he returned kickoffs, but there's no reason he cant. I think he just did punts, where he's deadly. He's more quick then fast i think.

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=146457
I'd say that is a pretty fair and accurate description of Pettis. I am a UW fan and alum and I love Pettis and I'm happy for him getting drafted in the 2nd round. However, I thought it was pretty early. I wouldn't really call him a "speed WR" either. Like has been said quick more than fast. I'd say he's very savvy and smart though well beyond is age. He's not a WR that can be "The Guy", he needs a true #1 to take some pressure of him. However, he should be a solid #2 or #3 possession receiver who will be a weapon on special teams as well.

OP
OP
S

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
JSeahawks":18adfnso said:
SanDiego49er":18adfnso said:
JSeahawks":18adfnso said:

That's interesting. But he was injured this last year right? I mean that may have something to do with it. What was the injury and how severe was it? Because apparently he didn't run at the combine or his pro day either. He says or "claims" to run a 4.37. I don't know if that's accurate or not? But he doesn't look slow on the YouTube highlights. Obviously he is not the 4.22 of John Ross which was actually confirmed rather than a claim. Players often claim a lot of stuff on 40's. But I would guess 4.4's at least on the tape from the highlights. He doesn't look 4.5 or 4.6. But that's just the eyeball test and not an official time. It's hard to come down on him for being hurt. Guys get hurt. It's a physical game. If healthy is he pretty good and productive at WR? But you say he is really great at PR anyway. So maybe some special teams value.

Would you say his injuries could have had something to do with his drop off? What were the injury problems and how severe were they?

OP
OP
S

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
DJrmb":2dyoyv1s said:
JSeahawks":2dyoyv1s said:
SanDiego49er":2dyoyv1s said:
JSeahawks":2dyoyv1s said:

I'd say that is a pretty fair and accurate description of Pettis. I am a UW fan and alum and I love Pettis and I'm happy for him getting drafted in the 2nd round. However, I thought it was pretty early. I wouldn't really call him a "speed WR" either. Like has been said quick more than fast. I'd say he's very savvy and smart though well beyond is age. He's not a WR that can be "The Guy", he needs a true #1 to take some pressure of him. However, he should be a solid #2 or #3 possession receiver who will be a weapon on special teams as well.

So he is a #2 WR with good route running and good hands and excellent special teams value at PR and maybe KR perhaps?

DJrmb

Reaction score
Yeah, just my opinion, but I'd say he could be a solid #2 (probably a #3 for his first season or two). He's not elite at anything as a WR he's just good at everything which is not a bad thing, no glaring weakness really. Where he is elite is in returning kicks.

KillerB

Reaction score
Pettis benefited greatly (as most would) from lining up opposite John Ross. Once Ross was gone Pettis came back down to reality quite a bit. He's fast enough, but not truly fast. Good route runner. Not particularly physical, both in terms of durability and being handled by cornerbacks.
It's a reach, but probably not a really bad one.

OP
OP
S

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
KillerB":1d63nvjg said:
Pettis benefited greatly (as most would) from lining up opposite John Ross. Once Ross was gone Pettis came back down to reality quite a bit. He's fast enough, but not truly fast. Good route runner. Not particularly physical, both in terms of durability and being handled by cornerbacks.
It's a reach, but probably not a really bad one.

So you view him more like a 3rd rounder picked in the 2nd round? He's not like a 7th rounder right? He's much better than that. You do say not a really bad reach at least. Plus some other guys are saying he is good and solid at all categories but maybe not spectacular. But a good route runner, good hands and good high character guy is not necessarily bad. Maybe not a star. But as others said being "good" in all categories is not necessarily bad.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
UW fan here:

Assessments have been pretty spot on, although perhaps a bit harsh. The guy had noodle armed Jake Browning "throwing" him the ball which makes it hard to really know for sure just how good he may be.

I think he will be good, but as others have said, probably not a #1 guy.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
3rd would be correct IMHO, and I’m a UW fan. Guy is a threat to take it to the house on punt returns a decent receiver.
He was hurt a lot last year, which will lead me to his biggest weakness on the field, staying healthy. Might be a tad of a reach but not a big one. His dad was a former MLB player in the 80’s. I’m happy he got drafted in the 2nd round, enjoyed him as a UW fan.

OP
OP
S

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3prczfot said:
UW fan here:

Assessments have been pretty spot on, although perhaps a bit harsh. The guy had noodle armed Jake Browning "throwing" him the ball which makes it hard to really know for sure just how good he may be.

I think he will be good, but as others have said, probably not a #1 guy.

That's interesting input. His QB should be better. A good QB can make WR's look much better. Look at Brady for example. Other than Moss and Gronk at TE he hasn't had tons of great receivers. Most were average and even sub par. But his accuracy and quick release make them look good. Most of them over the years are not as good as they look.

SF49r

Reaction score
"We just feel he fills a lot of spots for us, not just, we're happy with our group. We've got a lot of good players. With our group before we got Pettis, who have a lot of different traits. We can use them all differently. We think Pettis does a little bit of everything. I think we can use him sometimes similar to how we use [WR] Marquise [Goodwin], if need be. I think we can use him inside similar to how we use [WR] Trent [Taylor] if need be. I think he has the hands and toughness, we can use him similar to [WR] Pierre [Garçon]. In the meantime, I think he's going to be a very good punt returner too. So, he's a guy that adds a lot of versatility to our team and when I speak of someone with those type of traits, he's a guy who can help you out an all four downs, not just third down, not just first or second and then also special teams."
I thought he was one of the best receivers versus bump-and-run, he's got the lower half where he can cut outside of his frame and be good with his feet. So, when it comes to bump-and-run I think that's one of the things I think he did better than anyone in the draft."

Shanahan's thoughts on Pettis, what you Huskie fans think? Is he spot on or is he over hyping him? My only knock is he seems injury prone.

gmor

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1wvk0s60 said:
Definitely a great returner. I went to a few games last year and he stood out as a WR to me. He
is a difference maker that the other team better account for.

D

DomeHawk

Has great vision and instinct to run to space which makes him an elite returner. Also pro athlete pedigree. Shanahan probably sees him as a fear-inducing returner AND productive slot ala angry Doug Baldwin w/great upside.

Geniuses here see him as later-rounder, Shanahan as trade-up 2nd rounder. Who do you trust?

kobebryant

Reaction score
Considering how many draft picks flop, I think locking in a great returner is worth the price. The Bears wouldn't take back the Hester pick (though Pettis isn't that special), and Hester offered way less than Pettis outside of the return game.

I agree with the TJ Housh comparison made by NFL.com (though Pettis offers way more after the catch) - hands, routes and intelligence are all top notch. Not the body type or explosive athlete to be a high end #1 WR, but a strong number 2 (lol) who will always benefit from having a bigger threat across from him.

Pettis, Christian Kirk, Pharoah Cooper - the Hawks divisional opponents have some strong return men, hopefully Dickson can counter that to some extent.

OP
OP
S

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
kobebryant":3d499ad3 said:
Considering how many draft picks flop, I think locking in a great returner is worth the price. The Bears wouldn't take back the Hester pick (though Pettis isn't that special), and Hester offered way less than Pettis outside of the return game.

I agree with the TJ Housh comparison made by NFL.com (though Pettis offers way more after the catch) - hands, routes and intelligence are all top notch. Not the body type or explosive athlete to be a high end #1 WR, but a strong number 2 (lol) who will always benefit from having a bigger threat across from him.

Pettis, Christian Kirk, Pharoah Cooper - the Hawks divisional opponents have some strong return men, hopefully Dickson can counter that to some extent.

2nd round is pretty high for a return guy. But a lot of people say he is special at it. So if you can flip the field a lot and play with a short field that really helps your team in a lot of ways. If he can become a solid #2 WR or very good #3 WR maybe he is good. I still think trading up for him in the 2nd round was a pretty big price to pay. We will see. As a 49ers fan I hope he turns out well. I don't think he is a terrible pick. Just maybe a little bit earlier for him than was necessary. I hope it works out though.

D

DomeHawk

SanDiego49er":25bifpmr said:
kobebryant":25bifpmr said:

2nd round is pretty high for a return guy. But a lot of people say he is special at it. So if you can flip the field a lot and play with a short field that really helps your team in a lot of ways. If he can become a solid #2 WR or very good #3 WR maybe he is good. I still think trading up for him in the 2nd round was a pretty big price to pay. We will see. As a 49ers fan I hope he turns out well. I don't think he is a terrible pick. Just maybe a little bit earlier for him than was necessary. I hope it works out though.

Wouldn't mind having Shanahan making our offenses' picks. :)

OP
OP
S

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
DomeHawk":cfdksaob said:
SanDiego49er":cfdksaob said:
kobebryant":cfdksaob said:

Wouldn't mind having Shanahan making our offenses' picks. :)

Making your offenses picks? I'm not sure what you mean?