UW football team wins Pac-12 Academic Progress Rate

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Well, I guess it takes an idiot to want to wear ugly purple Reebok uniforms and play for a team that never wins big games, so I guess when you start with idiots it makes it easier to progress?

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":1v0zdyrz said:
Well, I guess it takes an idiot to want to wear ugly purple Reebok uniforms and play for a team that never wins big games, so I guess when you start with idiots it makes it easier to progress?

So bitter...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DomeHawk":jwsk4gdz said:
JSeahawks":jwsk4gdz said:

So bitter...

I'd be willing to bet every Oregon v Washington game in the future that i'm the least bitter, most laid back person in the world that you've never met. I was making a joke. Pretty tough to be bitter about something you couldnt care less about. APR? No idea what it is, and dont care.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":1jnpfinx said:
DomeHawk":1jnpfinx said:
JSeahawks":1jnpfinx said:

So bitter...

I'd be willing to bet every Oregon v Washington game in the future that i'm the least bitter, most laid back person in the world that you've never met. I was making a joke. Pretty tough to be bitter about something you couldnt care less about. APR? No idea what it is, and dont care.

Right.

chris98251

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1rla5qe5 said:

No thats color coordination, I know thats a big word for you, but it's better then having a 64 color Crayola box in fron of Uncle Phil and then blindfold him and pick the next Oregon Uniform combination.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":240b9jhg said:
In any case, I don't think JS actually believes what he just said. He's just quacking and trolling. I can understand, given the way some Husky fans around here talk. ;)

Well, i was trolling in making fun of the uniforms and saying a player would be an idiot to go to UW, but Actually I was being 100% genuine with what I said about not caring at all about this. As long as they're academically eligible, I dont care at all about how they're doing in the classroom.

And after reading up on APR and how its actually calculated I care even less about it. It has nothing to do with getting good grades. Its all about keeping athletes on campus for 4 years. So if a school sends a guy to the NFL after three seasons to make millions of dollars they get dinged on the APR.

Here's how they come up with it:

Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.
A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/res ... -explained

So it has nothing to do with getting A's, or doing well in school, you just have to stay academically eligible (which they always do, i cant remember the last time a duck, or any pac 12 athlete for that matter, was academically ineligible) and stay for 4 years. Ducks have had a lot of attrition lately, a lot of transfers due to coaching change or guys being buried on the depth chart, a few guys medically retiring and leaving school, a few getting kicked off the team for disciplinary reasons and leaving school, so those all bring down their APR and have absolutely nothing to do with how they're doing in the classroom.

So in the next years ratings UW will get dinged for Camilo Eiffler even though as far as I know he's doing fine in the classroom, and will continue his education at another university. And they will get dinged for Vita Vea (unless he redshirted and already graduated, i dont know if he did). Does that mean they're doing a less great job academically? No. Its meaningless.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":u1zzlini said:
And after reading up on APR and how its actually calculated I care even less about it. It has nothing to do with getting good grades. Its all about keeping athletes on campus for 4 years. So if a school sends a guy to the NFL after three seasons to make millions of dollars they get dinged on the APR.

Interesting, dinged? Seeing as how the Huskies are among the top schools sending players to the NFL early and Oregon the least it just makes UW's progress rates that much better and Oregon's that much worse.

Thank you for that.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Yup. APR is a joke and just a show of pretending to care. Another example of the execution of a good concept showing the motives aren't what they want us to think.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":3bzh2fet said:
The_Z_Man":3bzh2fet said:
In any case, I don't think JS actually believes what he just said. He's just quacking and trolling. I can understand, given the way some Husky fans around here talk. ;)

Well, i was trolling in making fun of the uniforms and saying a player would be an idiot to go to UW, but Actually I was being 100% genuine with what I said about not caring at all about this. As long as they're academically eligible, I dont care at all about how they're doing in the classroom.

Here's how they come up with it:

Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.
A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/res ... -explained

So it has nothing to do with getting A's, or doing well in school, you just have to stay academically eligible (which they always do, i cant remember the last time a duck, or any pac 12 athlete for that matter, was academically ineligible) and stay for 4 years. Ducks have had a lot of attrition lately, a lot of transfers due to coaching change or guys being buried on the depth chart, a few guys medically retiring and leaving school, a few getting kicked off the team for disciplinary reasons and leaving school, so those all bring down their APR and have absolutely nothing to do with how they're doing in the classroom.

So in the next years ratings UW will get dinged for Camilo Eiffler even though as far as I know he's doing fine in the classroom, and will continue his education at another university. And they will get dinged for Vita Vea (unless he redshirted and already graduated, i dont know if he did). Does that mean they're doing a less great job academically? No. Its meaningless.

Wow! for someone who doesn't care that's quite a post!

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." - William Shakespeare

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

DomeHawk":lpnjacf5 said:
JSeahawks":lpnjacf5 said:

Interesting, dinged? Seeing as how the Huskies are among the top schools sending players to the NFL early and Oregon the least it just makes UW's progress rates that much better and Oregon's that much worse.

Thank you for that.

BTW, you are dead wrong,

"The NCAA does adjust APR, on a student-by-student basis, in two circumstances. One exception that can be made, is for student-athletes who leave prior to graduation, while in good academic standing, to pursue a professional career."

"Another is for student-athletes who transfer to another school while meeting minimum academic requirements and student-athletes who return to graduate at a later date."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Progress_Rate

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Well I stand corrected. Still has absolutely nothing to do with how they’re actually doing in the classroom though. All they have to do is stay eligible, which literally everybody does.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":33kmsbxm said:
Well I stand corrected. Still has absolutely nothing to do with how they’re actually doing in the classroom though. All they have to do is stay eligible, which literally everybody does.

Lol, and how do you stay eligible?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DomeHawk":5v85x4d0 said:
JSeahawks":5v85x4d0 said:

I have no idea. Straight c’s? No f’s? No clue. I know it must not be very difficult, cuz I can’t remember anybody being ineligible.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

The original post just exemplifies that we finally have the coach we were looking for.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":ap5qge74 said:
DomeHawk":ap5qge74 said:
JSeahawks":ap5qge74 said:

I have no idea. Straight c’s? No f’s? No clue. I know it must not be very difficult, cuz I can’t remember anybody being ineligible.

Spin, spin, spin:

"The APR measures how scholarship student-athletes are performing term by term throughout the school year. It is a composite team measurement based upon how individual team members do academically."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Progress_Rate