Dots: Entering the Elite? (UW Football)

D

DomeHawk

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2018/6/25/1 ... f-baseball

A writer is quoted as saying the Huskies are one great season away from entering the elite. I'm not ready to go there, I think it will take more than that but w/this coaching staff and the wealth of quality QB's on the roster, we certainly have a shot.

An interesting part of the article is Jimmy Lake's tweet regarding which teams in the Pac are the most selective, where Stanford and Washington are the most selective and Oregon's "spray and pray" approach to recruiting, the least.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
It’s wierd to me that jimmy lake keeps tweeting about how much Oregon coaches are outworking him. One class is 6th in the country with an average star rating of 91.18 while coming off the 2 worst seasons in the last 20 years. The other class is 31st in the country with an average star rating of 88.3, coming off their best 2 seasons in 20 years. I’d love to see an argument that UW’s approach is better for recruiting.

cesame

Reaction score
Washington has been beating up on a down conference and then losing their bowl game against the top ranked teams for multiple years now

They have a lot to prove to even be considered

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Lol, fish on! You guys are too easy!

1. What is this? Oregon's monster recruiting class 2.0? It's like 8 months until signing day and if this is anything like last year many of these players will be gone. They will come to their senses, Oregon has a lousy coach who is in over his head AND there is no player development at Oregon, there's no real economy to take advantage of when you graduate in Eugene, and it's culturally inappropriate for many of these players (just ask Taggart).

2. If Oregon has a bad or even mediocre season these top players will see the writing on the wall.

3. Unlike Oregon, none of the teams in the Pac were under sanctions during UDub's most recent run nor when they had their NC run. USC was under sanctions during the entire duckies run.

Now, carry on with the UW bashing, it seems to be the only thing you guys are good at.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

getnasty":20h86com said:
If UW is elite so are about 20 other programs

No one said that UW was elite, the article is about whether they will be.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DomeHawk":17h1s9vi said:
Lol, fish on! You guys are too easy!

1. What is this? Oregon's monster recruiting class 2.0. It's like 8 months until signing day and if this is anything like last year many of these players will be gone. They will come to their senses, Oregon has a lousy coach who is in over his head AND there is no player development at Oregon, there's no real economy to take advantage of when you graduate in Eugene, and it's culturally inappropriate for many of these players (just ask Taggart).

2. If Oregon has a bad or even mediocre season these top players will see the writing on the wall.

3. Unlike Oregon, none of the teams in the Pac were under sanctions during UDub's most recent run nor when they had their NC run. USC was under sanctions during the entire duckies run.

Now, carry on with the UW bashing, it seems to be the only thing you guys are good at.

Nobody is, or has, bashed on UW

cesame

Reaction score
I'm not seeing the UW bashing.

Sorry, but they've played a cupcake OOC scehdule, beat up on a down PAC 12, and then get soundly beat by the top ranked opponents. Jake Browning in particular always looks beyond overmatched.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't understand what it means for being a great season away from being elite. Are they saying that if the would just win games they would be considered good? Isn't that kind of definitional?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3tuvoj6t said:
I’d love to see an argument that UW’s approach is better for recruiting.

2017 Washington Huskies: 10-2 w/ NY6 Bowl Loss against top 10 Penn State.
2017 Oregon Ducks: 7-5 w/ Las Vegas Bowl Loss to #22 Boise State

Head to head:
Oregon 3
Washington 38

Anajimmc

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2hom34r9 said:
It’s wierd to me that jimmy lake keeps tweeting about how much Oregon coaches are outworking him. One class is 6th in the country with an average star rating of 91.18 while coming off the 2 worst seasons in the last 20 years. The other class is 31st in the country with an average star rating of 88.3, coming off their best 2 seasons in 20 years. I’d love to see an argument that UW’s approach is better for recruiting.
February 6 2019.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1prvjm86 said:
JSeahawks":1prvjm86 said:
I’d love to see an argument that UW’s approach is better for recruiting.

2017 Washington Huskies: 10-2 w/ NY6 Bowl Loss against top 10 Penn State.
2017 Oregon Ducks: 7-5 w/ Las Vegas Bowl Loss to #22 Boise State

Head to head:
Oregon 3
Washington 38

That was vs Mark Helfrich recruiting classes who went with the limited offers strategy. We won’t know for 3 or 4 years about Cristobals recruiting, but it’s sure showing great early results.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This has devolved back into the age-old college football questions. Development vs Recruiting. The powerhouse programs would do both. The flash in the pan teams like the 2010's FSU just get a top-five class and do nothing with those players.

Chip Kelly built football players to fit his system. LaMichael James was a four-star guy, TJ Ward was a no star walk on, DeRon Thomas was the 40th ranked player out of the state of Texas, Kiko Alonzo 3 star. I don't know why our biggest UO fan posts so much about recruiting because it doesn't mean a damn thing if the coach sucks. Christ Peterson how the power in the Pac 12 and will for a long time because he turned no star recruits into NFL first-round draft picks. Now he is starting to get access to players he could never get his hands on in Bosie.

drrew

Reaction score
It's funny to see Oregon fans that think they're winning the offseason.

I get it, I lived through the Willingham years, when you know your team is overmatched, you have to start making excuses or focusing on anything but the game, because when the actual game comes around, you get your ass kicked.

As for Browning, luckily Oregon isn't a "top ranked opponent" so Oregon can expect to see more of this.

Browning

sdog1981

Reaction score
JSeahawks":31k6xrfw said:
As long as Herbert is healthy we’re winning the regular season too.

Seriously? You are counting on a QB who plays 8 games a year and is going into his third offensive system in three years? Herbert is your Jake Locker and will produce similar results.