Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Tyler Hilinski Had Stage 1 CTE

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:04 am

Re: Tyler Hilinski Had Stage 1 CTE
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:35 am
  • sc85sis wrote:https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/06/26/tyler-hilinski-suicide-washington-state-qb-cte

My heart goes out to his parents and brothers. Reading this and seeing the video just made me want to cry.

I really hope researchers can find a way to test for this with some kind of brain imaging and can a devise treatment.

Having a 17-year-old son playing 4a football this is really frightening.
    Bow Down to Washington
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:52 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/06/26/tyler-hilinski-suicide-washington-state-qb-cte

My heart goes out to his parents and brothers. Reading this and seeing the video just made me want to cry.

I really hope researchers can find a way to test for this with some kind of brain imaging and can a devise treatment.

My older son's football playing ended after his sophomore year due to a spinal injury. I told my younger son, who already runs track and wants to play football next year, to play soccer instead.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:08 am
  • Saw that they’re working on a vaccine to stop cte before it starts. They’ve already done animal testing, and will begin clinical testing soon. This would be huge, but I’d imagine is still years away.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 89337.html
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:52 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/06/26/tyler-hilinski-suicide-washington-state-qb-cte

My older son's football playing ended after his sophomore year due to a spinal injury. I told my younger son, who already runs track and wants to play football next year, to play soccer instead.

Just because the studies haven't gotten over to soccer yet doesn't mean the risk isn't just as high as anyone playing American Football. That's just where the attention to CTE first started so naturally that's where researchers have the most info right now. You're going to find evidence of CTE all over the place I bet in the next 10-20 years, and probably some sort of CTE risk in just about every sport.

https://www.wired.com/story/brain-trauma-scientists-turn-their-attention-to-soccer/
    In 2013, Lipton reported in the journal Neuroradiology that repeated heading the ball—even without getting a concussion—is associated with cognitive problems and physical changes to the structure of the brain. Players head the ball, on average, six to 12 times per game, trying to deflect balls that travel up to 50 miles per hour in recreational games. In practice, players head the ball up to 30 or more times in a row during drills. Lipton’s study suggests that initial problems with memory began at 1,800 headers.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/14/health/brain-damage-dementia-cte-soccer-football-study/index.html
    Until the publication of Tuesday's paper, only four soccer players were known to have CTE: Astle, Brazilian star Bellini, amateur American player Patrick Grange, and Curtis Baushke, who played youth soccer through high school. The new report in the journal Acta Neuropathologica doubles the number of cases of soccer players known to have CTE.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:40 pm
  • I also think that there have to be additional causal factors. Why do some players seem to be unaffected (at least symptomatically)? There’s no doubt head trauma is a big part of the equation, but what else contributes?

Frustrating for all who love sports. No one wants to see players mess their lives and health up.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:45 pm
  • sc85sis wrote:I also think that there have to be additional causal factors. Why do some players seem to be unaffected (at least symptomatically)? There’s no doubt head trauma is a big part of the equation, but what else contributes?

Frustrating for all who love sports. No one wants to see players mess their lives and health up.

99% of all deceased NFL players show signs of CTE.
    Bow Down to Washington
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:30 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:I also think that there have to be additional causal factors. Why do some players seem to be unaffected (at least symptomatically)? There’s no doubt head trauma is a big part of the equation, but what else contributes?

I would have to see evidence that that data set showing 99% doesn't have selection bias to buy it. I know for a fact they have not tested "all deceased NFL Players", so you can start with removing that fallacy.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:25 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:I also think that there have to be additional causal factors. Why do some players seem to be unaffected (at least symptomatically)? There’s no doubt head trauma is a big part of the equation, but what else contributes?

Unless they’ve autopsied every deceased player, that stat may not be accurate. They’ve checked several deceased players who exhibited behavior that made them suspect CTE. To get an accurate look, they’re going to need a lot more guys to agree to have their brains checked after they die so the scientists can get a good sample size across a wide spectrum of players.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:16 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:

But they dont say how many deceased males who played other sports show signs?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:21 pm
  • sc85sis wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

Unless they’ve autopsied every deceased player, that stat may not be accurate. They’ve checked several deceased players who exhibited behavior that made them suspect CTE. To get an accurate look, they’re going to need a lot more guys to agree to have their brains checked after they die so the scientists can get a good sample size across a wide spectrum of players.

I should have wrote "99% of all deceased NFL players tested" but nevertheless, that's an incredible statistic even without full documentation.
    Bow Down to Washington
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:25 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

There were 111 NFL players tested.

Not sure that it matters in this (or any) context (unless you want to know which sport is worse, not better), but many sports are just catching up to these studies.

There are 7 former NHL players but they have just started the research.

a recent study of 14 former soccer players showed 4 (of 6 brains tested) had signs of CTE while 12 had advanced dementia before death. Now the dementia may have been wny these athletes were selected for the study.

But either way... the connections are significant and ignoring them is nearing criminal behavior
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:53 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

Not sure that it matters in this (or any) context (unless you want to know which sport is worse, not better), but many sports are just catching up to these studies.

a recent study of 14 former soccer players showed 4 (of 6 brains tested) had signs of CTE while 12 had advanced dementia before death. Now the dementia may have been wny these athletes were selected for the study.

But either way... the connections are significant and ignoring them is nearing criminal behavior

I don't think anyone is suggesting ignoring the symptoms here. The point is someone has to do an actual scientific study and not some post-hoc evaluation that is tantamount to a PR stunt. It does the real issues no justice to come to conclusions based upon selection bias. What if it turns out there are other contributing factors to CTE symptoms that need to be explored (genetic, environmental, chemicals, etc...), yet get ignored for years because people focused in on concussions too quickly as the only cause?

Here is a short oped article published 2 days after the aforementioned "study" that summarizes the sentiment.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-0802-cte-study-football-20170801-story.html
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:41 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:But either way... the connections are significant and ignoring them is nearing criminal behavior

I don't pay much attention to CTE, and I certainly don't think I deserve to go to jail for that.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 pm
  • Milehighhawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

I don't think anyone is suggesting ignoring the symptoms here. The point is someone has to do an actual scientific study and not some post-hoc evaluation that is tantamount to a PR stunt. It does the real issues no justice to come to conclusions based upon selection bias. What if it turns out there are other contributing factors to CTE symptoms that need to be explored (genetic, environmental, chemicals, etc...), yet get ignored for years because people focused in on concussions too quickly as the only cause?

Here is a short oped article published 2 days after the aforementioned "study" that summarizes the sentiment.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-0802-cte-study-football-20170801-story.html

I don't want to speak for anyone else but this is exactly what I think the author of that statement meant by not "ignoring" these findings, i.e., this deserves to be researched further.
    Bow Down to Washington
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:23 pm
  • Milehighhawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

Youre limiting this issue to one study, when clearly there have been more. We also have a number of living and deceased players from sports, including NFL, who have been diagnosed with CTE. We have seen the NFL, NHL, world soccer and other sports react to these events with rules changes and equipment improvements.

That's not ad-hoc, nor a PR stunt. Its a continuing and troubling pattern.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:15 am
  • How many people who have never played sports and therefore have never bothered to have their brains extensively examined by doctors have CTE?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:41 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Milehighhawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:

Youre limiting this issue to one study, when clearly there have been more. We also have a number of living and deceased players from sports, including NFL, who have been diagnosed with CTE. We have seen the NFL, NHL, world soccer and other sports react to these events with rules changes and equipment improvements.

That's not ad-hoc, nor a PR stunt. Its a continuing and troubling pattern.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure I was responding to the one study that gets that 99% figure quoted ridiculously as if it is a scientific fact. Yeah, that is what I was doing.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:39 am
  • you shouldve read the study then...

it was 111 football players, over 200 total. the additional studies also act as a foundation for future ones. And nowhere did anyone suggest it was scientific facts... just the very factual results of the study.

So not sure what you were doing i guess
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:18 pm
  • Girls soccer found to have just as high of head injuries.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:29 am
  • CPHawk wrote:Girls soccer found to have just as high of head injuries.

Link?
    Bow Down to Washington
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:24 am

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:57 am
  • CPHawk wrote:http://footballscoop.com/news/new-study-reports-higher-concussion-rate-girls-sport-football/

OK. So, what's your point?

Or are you just making a random comment that girls soccer is also dangerous?
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:04 am
  • Chapow wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:http://footballscoop.com/news/new-study-reports-higher-concussion-rate-girls-sport-football/

I doubt he read the article, but here is the crux:

"To our knowledge, this is the first study to report that concussions now account for a higher proportion of injuries in girls soccer than boys football. The concussion rate for girls soccer is also increasing rapidly, and is now nearly tied with boys football and 3-fold higher than boys soccer."

So, girls soccer does not have more concussions than football, just that girls soccer players get more concussions than other injuries in comparison to football and their injuries.

it's also important to note that the rates are increasing because the testing is increasing.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:42 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:http://footballscoop.com/news/new-study-reports-higher-concussion-rate-girls-sport-football/

The point is we should wait until they do studies on every sport, and even people who don't play sports before attacking football.

Right now we know football can cause head injuries, but why haven't they done a study on 100 guys who never played any sports? Or do one on 100 guys who played sports, but not football? Give us those numbers.

If the 100 guys who never played sports comes back that 50 show signs of CTE, then let parents and players know there is still a chance you end up with CTE

Right now we are in the stage of saying football is bad, but there is only one study. They need to give parents and kids the real numbers, not just a small part of the equation. If not playing football, only cuts the chances of not having CTE later in live by a minimal amount, that is Important info everyone needs. Maybe it is just football, and every other sport is that much safer, but look into them all, and give us all the accurate numbers. 1 study, done 1 time isnt enough to go on either way.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:42 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

The point is we should wait until they do studies on every sport, and even people who don't play sports before attacking football.

Right now we know football can cause head injuries, but why haven't they done a study on 100 guys who never played any sports? Or do one on 100 guys who played sports, but not football? Give us those numbers.

If the 100 guys who never played sports comes back that 50 show signs of CTE, then let parents and players know there is still a chance you end up with CTE

Right now we are in the stage of saying football is bad, but there is only one study. They need to give parents and kids the real numbers, not just a small part of the equation. If not playing football, only cuts the chances of not having CTE later in live by a minimal amount, that is Important info everyone needs. Maybe it is just football, and every other sport is that much safer, but look into them all, and give us all the accurate numbers. 1 study, done 1 time isnt enough to go on either way.

who cares if other sports also have players with concussions? the point is that football players have high rates of concussions. because football players should be worried about themselves. So do girls soccer players (and its a major concern for their players), albeit the study focuses on ratios (you asked for "real numbers' but directed us to a study that doesn't actually use them), not totals, as a convenient barometer. It also doesnt take into effect how many football players are actively used in a game, or that their trainings rarely include full contact, while girls soccer trains and plays the same regardless and most members of an 18 person squad would play while a 40 person squad doesnt. But... ratios. It's important when ignoring the glaring issues because some folks are too scared the game may need significant changes.

Isnt the point to make the game safer, more playable for its players? would you really sacrifice a football players health on the premise that girls soccer is also dangerous? That makes no sense. are you really so concerned about the sport and not the athlete that you'd stretch to straw man comparisons? I doubt girls soccer coaches and parents are going "yeah, well football is dangerous too, so what's the big deal?"
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:45 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:The point is we should wait until they do studies on every sport, and even people who don't play sports before attacking football.

This is what I'm saying. If we don't have a good grasp on what normal is, then how can we have a solid opinion on what is and isn't abnormal?

Maybe we do have that info, but I haven't seen any specific studies done on large amounts of people who have never played sports.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:06 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:The point is we should wait until they do studies on every sport, and even people who don't play sports before attacking football.

This is what I'm saying. If we don't have a good grasp on what normal is, then how can we have a solid opinion on what is and isn't abnormal?

Maybe we do have that info, but I haven't seen any specific studies done on large amounts of people who have never played sports.

Not sure it matters what "normal" is.

Kids are getting concussions playing sports.

Concussions aren't good for you.

Sports are trying to look at reducing those injuries.

If these kids would have got concussions riding their bikes around the neighborhood if they weren't playing football or soccer it doesn't diminish the fact that they are still getting concussions playing football or soccer. The logic is dismissive.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:35 am
  • If we don't study what brains are like on people who never play sports, how are we supposed to compare and contrast the damage caused by playing sports?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:03 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:If we don't study what brains are like on people who never play sports, how are we supposed to compare and contrast the damage caused by playing sports?

You don't think there's been plenty of study on the human brain?

Most HS have a base line test that establishes "normal" before they even set foot on a field. They can then determine the impact of any head trauma against that base. It's one of the reasons why all the data being cited in this thread even exists.

Long term impact, CTE, etc. will always be the end. But there is plenty of accessible data to compare/contrast what a brain looks like before and after a sports injury.

Also, again, not sure why it matters if there is damage to a brain playing sports or not playing sports. Little Johnny can bash his head in all kinds of ways. The point is that kids are suffering concussions in sports and people want to mitigate that.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:53 am
  • There is beginning to be serious speculation (backed by data) that it is not just concussions.

The repeated collisions, and thus impact to the brain, may also be a significant contributor to CTE.

It becomes much more problematic if the frequency of collisions is a big factor in addition to the actual impact being enough to cause concussions.

Regardless, when they do study college athletes they find it often enough to be troubling. The problem is really that it cannot be determined until an autopsy - so it is much harder to know who really has it. Certainly, the number of former NFL players vs the number of former players sampled is high enough. Given the hit rates vs the number sampled, it seems high enough to be concerned if not outright horrified.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:55 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information