Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Sorry, Seahawks, your time has passed. Seattle is Husky town

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

  • No, no it's not.

    It is nice to see the Husky's starting to regain some foothold of relevance in the college football world though.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Been a fan of the Huskies since this guy.


    Image
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25441
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Was Pelluer (sp?) for me. If I recall.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Yeah until UW gets spanked week 1 and the Hawks look good against Denver.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2989
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


  • As a UW employee and big Husky fan, I can state emphatically that even on campus, more people are Seahawk fans vs UW football fans and it's not very close.
    drrew
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1046
    Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:50 am


  • drrew wrote:As a UW employee and big Husky fan, I can state emphatically that even on campus, more people are Seahawk fans vs UW football fans and it's not very close.


    Perhaps, but in 80's and 90's it was just the opposite. Things change.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • As a Washington grad I get the excitement. But the alumni base and student body of a given institution is only so big, and I can't foresee it overtaking the only NFL team in the region. At least not in the south anyway.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2277
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:45 pm


  • kobebryant wrote:As a Washington grad I get the excitement. But the alumni base and student body of a given institution is only so big, and I can't foresee it overtaking the only NFL team in the region. At least not in the south anyway.


    I don't know how old you are but the Huskies didn't depend on the alumni and student body for their fan base. The alumni will always be fans no matter what, but the Huskies in the DJ era had more non-alumni fans that alumni.

    That isn't to say that you can't be fans of both teams but the team that is vying for championships is always going to be more popular.

    Here's an article that breaks it down:

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... -seahawks/
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • Seattle could be 5-9 heading into that final games this year while the Huskies line up against Bama in the Playoff and the Seahawks would still draw more attention.

    The two teams aren't passing each other in the scales of balance quite yet.

    Huskies keep winning for a few years and the Hawks don't, then sure, it could return to the 80s. But even that time situation is difficult to recapture. The Huskies had been a national elite program for awhile and the Hawks were just getting their feet on the ground.

    Rooting for the Huskies either way.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:Seattle could be 5-10 this year while the Huskies line up against Bama in the Playoff and the Seahawks would still draw more attention.


    Baloney, I don't know where you're from, but you clearly don't know this town very well.

    I love the Seahawks but they can't ride that Super Bowl forever, especially if the Huskies get really hot.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • There is room for both.
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4551
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Seattle could be 5-10 this year while the Huskies line up against Bama in the Playoff and the Seahawks would still draw more attention.


    Baloney, I don't know where you're from, but you clearly don't know this town very well.

    I love the Seahawks but they can't ride that Super Bowl forever, especially if the Huskies get really hot.


    Born and raised in Seattle.

    I know the town just fine, hotshot.

    I also know that the Huskies at their absolute apex never amassed the attention the Seahawks have gotten.

    Yeah, they cant ride their Super Bowl forever. but right now, they are riding it fine. (per the rest of the post you didnt bother to quote)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Seattle could be 5-10 this year while the Huskies line up against Bama in the Playoff and the Seahawks would still draw more attention.


    Baloney, I don't know where you're from, but you clearly don't know this town very well.

    I love the Seahawks but they can't ride that Super Bowl forever, especially if the Huskies get really hot.


    Born and raised in Seattle.

    I know the town just fine, hotshot.

    I also know that the Huskies at their absolute apex never amassed the attention the Seahawks have gotten.

    Yeah, they cant ride their Super Bowl forever. but right now, they are riding it fine. (per the rest of the post you didnt bother to quote)


    It's a ridiculous post, a 5 and 9 team garners more attention than a team in the CFP?

    Nominated.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • fenderbender123 wrote:There is room for both.


    Yeah Of course and it’s great the huskies are returning to prominence. Important for the city and pac 12 and a better rep for the conference than flashy but no substance Oregon
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Seattle could be 5-10 this year while the Huskies line up against Bama in the Playoff and the Seahawks would still draw more attention.


    Baloney, I don't know where you're from, but you clearly don't know this town very well.

    I love the Seahawks but they can't ride that Super Bowl forever, especially if the Huskies get really hot.


    Born and raised in Seattle.

    I know the town just fine, hotshot.

    I also know that the Huskies at their absolute apex never amassed the attention the Seahawks have gotten.

    Yeah, they cant ride their Super Bowl forever. but right now, they are riding it fine. (per the rest of the post you didnt bother to quote)


    It's a ridiculous post, a 5 and 9 team garners more attention than a team in the CFP?

    Nominated.


    Yes. The downfall of the Seahawks would still garner more attention than the continued rise of the huskies. As explained in the posts.

    What’s ridiculous is the post suggesting Seattle has suddenly turned to a college football city (which it hasn’t really been interested since the early 90s) based on two strong seasons by the huskies and one mediocre one from the Seahawks.

    To be clear, big fan of husky football and excited for today’s game.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Baloney, I don't know where you're from, but you clearly don't know this town very well.

    I love the Seahawks but they can't ride that Super Bowl forever, especially if the Huskies get really hot.


    Born and raised in Seattle.

    I know the town just fine, hotshot.

    I also know that the Huskies at their absolute apex never amassed the attention the Seahawks have gotten.

    Yeah, they cant ride their Super Bowl forever. but right now, they are riding it fine. (per the rest of the post you didnt bother to quote)


    It's a ridiculous post, a 5 and 9 team garners more attention than a team in the CFP?

    Nominated.


    Yes. The downfall of the Seahawks would still garner more attention than the continued rise of the huskies. As explained in the posts.

    What’s ridiculous is the post suggesting Seattle has suddenly turned to a college football city (which it hasn’t really been interested since the early 90s) based on two strong seasons by the huskies and one mediocre one from the Seahawks.

    To be clear, big fan of husky football and excited for today’s game.


    The title of the post is a link to an article in the Times. My "post" stated that it was too early to proclaim that.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • So again, commenting on the point of the post... and it’s title.

    Settle in and enjoy the game
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • When we get a good QB it will be Husky town.

    This team has to start winning bowl games for people to latch back onto them and they won't do that until the QB situation improves drastically.

    The Seahawks don't have to worry for at least another year or two.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3355
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • We should have a good QB next year, hopefully two. :pray:
    Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 5174
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


  • So is it still a Husky town?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105541
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


  • HawkGA wrote:So is it still a Husky town?


    Where did anyone say that?
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • Huskies need to try another Jake.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5879
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


  • Huskies need to get by the Sounders first.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2989
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


  • DomeHawk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:So is it still a Husky town?


    Where did anyone say that?


    The article you posted. The premise of this thread.

    (side note, because the article is more for fun than anything, That would've been such a nice win.)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:So is it still a Husky town?


    Where did anyone say that?


    The article you posted. The premise of this thread.

    (side note, because the article is more for fun than anything, That would've been such a nice win.)


    Again, no one here said that, so why ask the board?

    In the OP I stated it was "too early" to proclaim that, THAT was the premise of the thread.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • HawkGA wrote:So is it still a Husky town?


    A better question might be, is Alabama still Georgia's team?
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • Seafan wrote:Huskies need to try another Jake.


    Browning is the best option currently. That game was not on him, two t/o's: first one was an oft-practiced scramble drill, receiver was supposed to come back to that spot - second one was an option where an o-lineman blew his assignment allowing a d-lineman in our backfield. Jake didn't lateral late, that's the way the play is designed - you gotta sell it.
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • DomeHawk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:So is it still a Husky town?


    A better question might be, is Alabama still Georgia's team?


    It's addressed in the Countdown thread. JSeahawks asked.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105541
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


  • Half the damn city went to Wazzu anyway. Attended at least.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3313
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


  • mrt144 wrote:Half the damn city went to Wazzu anyway. Attended at least.


    It's an optical illusion, they just populate the bars more.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:So is it still a Husky town?


    Where did anyone say that?


    The article you posted. The premise of this thread.

    (side note, because the article is more for fun than anything, That would've been such a nice win.)


    Again, no one here said that, so why ask the board?

    In the OP I stated it was "too early" to proclaim that, THAT was the premise of the thread.



    The article that you started the thread with did, however, Dome, so that is what people are well within their rights to respond to.

    If you wanted a general conversation on your feelings on it then don't post the article. But you did, and titled the thread as a statement.

    Don't get upset because people are challenging that. You don't own the thread, its content or direction simply because it went a different way. If people were all "yeah it is!!" you'd be right there virtual high fiving them
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Where did anyone say that?


    The article you posted. The premise of this thread.

    (side note, because the article is more for fun than anything, That would've been such a nice win.)


    Again, no one here said that, so why ask the board?

    In the OP I stated it was "too early" to proclaim that, THAT was the premise of the thread.



    The article that you started the thread with did, however, Dome, so that is what people are well within their rights to respond to.

    If you wanted a general conversation on your feelings on it then don't post the article. But you did, and titled the thread as a statement.

    Don't get upset because people are challenging that. You don't own the thread, its content or direction simply because it went a different way. If people were all "yeah it is!!" you'd be right there virtual high fiving them


    Lol, where did I ever state that people didn't have a "right" to respond?

    Me: What I responded to was a fan of another team making a dig at people (me) right after a tough loss by asking if "it was still a Husky town." My intention was to clarify that no one here had actually stated that so: why ask other than to troll? (I never posted the "troll" part)

    As for the title, I made it as a "title," referencing a link, not a statement. I made a "statement" right above the link that it was too early to proclaim that it was Husky town. I didn't expect anyone to discuss anything other than what they want to, other than to NOT ascribe statements made by the author of the article to me.

    As for being upset, it's bad enough when people assign words or thoughts to you that you didn't profess but then to also assign feelings? Lol, too funny and BTW, I am not the one who felt the need to call people "hotshot" when they got "upset" at a perceived slight.
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • Uncle Si wrote: If people were all "yeah it is!!" you'd be right there virtual high fiving them


    Now you are telling me what I would be doing if a particular scenario arose? Why would I be "high-fiving" people when I had just stated that it was "too early" to proclaim this Husky town?
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • This article is an example of the main reason I didn't grow up liking the Huskies. I generally am neutral about them until they play WSU, but the arrogance of Husky fans is insufferable. They just assume everyone is a fan of the Huskies and likes them. I dealt with that shit growing up in a Husky family. My dad loves the Huskies and couldn't leave alone the fact that I don't, and ALL Husky fans I met are just like that, completely incredulous that I don't worship at their altar.

    Still better than the Ducks, though.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

    The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

    189-152-1
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4508
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • Maulbert wrote:This article is an example of the main reason I didn't grow up liking the Huskies. I generally am neutral about them until they play WSU, but the arrogance of Husky fans is insufferable. They just assume everyone is a fan of the Huskies and likes them. I dealt with that shit growing up in a Husky family. My dad loves the Huskies and couldn't leave alone the fact that I don't, and ALL Husky fans I met are just like that, completely incredulous that I don't worship at their altar.

    Still better than the Ducks, though.


    Your poor father, lol.

    Edit: I'm jk but c'mon - lighten up, it's Seattle, the height of provincialism.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:This article is an example of the main reason I didn't grow up liking the Huskies. I generally am neutral about them until they play WSU, but the arrogance of Husky fans is insufferable. They just assume everyone is a fan of the Huskies and likes them. I dealt with that shit growing up in a Husky family. My dad loves the Huskies and couldn't leave alone the fact that I don't, and ALL Husky fans I met are just like that, completely incredulous that I don't worship at their altar.

    Still better than the Ducks, though.


    Your poor father, lol.


    My father needs absolutely no sympathy.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

    The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

    189-152-1
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4508
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • Maulbert wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:This article is an example of the main reason I didn't grow up liking the Huskies. I generally am neutral about them until they play WSU, but the arrogance of Husky fans is insufferable. They just assume everyone is a fan of the Huskies and likes them. I dealt with that shit growing up in a Husky family. My dad loves the Huskies and couldn't leave alone the fact that I don't, and ALL Husky fans I met are just like that, completely incredulous that I don't worship at their altar.

    Still better than the Ducks, though.


    Your poor father, lol.


    My father needs absolutely no sympathy.


    it's a joke, read my edit.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • Maulbert wrote:This article is an example of the main reason I didn't grow up liking the Huskies. I generally am neutral about them until they play WSU, but the arrogance of Husky fans is insufferable. They just assume everyone is a fan of the Huskies and likes them. I dealt with that shit growing up in a Husky family. My dad loves the Huskies and couldn't leave alone the fact that I don't, and ALL Husky fans I met are just like that, completely incredulous that I don't worship at their altar.

    Still better than the Ducks, though.


    It's human nature to share with others that which we enjoy ourselves, is it not?

    And either way, that's miles better than Cougar fans...seems like every Cougar fan, upon hearing that I'm a huge Husky fan, has to be an asshole and try to undermine my fandom. "Did you even go to UW? I'll bet you didn't even go there. You're everything that's wrong with college football. Blah blah blah."....I've seriously heard all that.

    It's obvious bitterness because the Cougars don't have nearly the same level of non-alumni fans due to their lack of success in any major sport in the entire history of the school.

    :stirthepot:

    :irishdrinkers:

    :0190l:
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4551
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:This article is an example of the main reason I didn't grow up liking the Huskies. I generally am neutral about them until they play WSU, but the arrogance of Husky fans is insufferable. They just assume everyone is a fan of the Huskies and likes them. I dealt with that shit growing up in a Husky family. My dad loves the Huskies and couldn't leave alone the fact that I don't, and ALL Husky fans I met are just like that, completely incredulous that I don't worship at their altar.

    Still better than the Ducks, though.


    It's human nature to share with others that which we enjoy ourselves, is it not?

    And either way, that's miles better than Cougar fans...seems like every Cougar fan, upon hearing that I'm a huge Husky fan, has to be an asshole and try to undermine my fandom. "Did you even go to UW? I'll bet you didn't even go there. You're everything that's wrong with college football. Blah blah blah."....I've seriously heard all that.

    It's obvious bitterness because the Cougars don't have nearly the same level of non-alumni fans due to their lack of success in any major sport in the entire history of the school.

    :stirthepot:

    :irishdrinkers:

    :0190l:


    Just gotta say, I take YOUR opinion with a GIANT ASS grain of salt.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

    The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

    189-152-1
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4508
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • Just pointing out how our perspectives can differ. You can disagree all you want.
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4551
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


  • I doubt the Huskies will ever be bigger than the Seahawks, even if the hawks were terrible.

    Seattle is a city of transplants, most incomers will have their college teams already. Some in Seattle also went to WSU, WWU, EWU, Seattle U, Oregon, Idaho etc.

    With pro sports, its easy to latch on to a team and at times can feel like a matter of civic pride when the team does well. I don't like basketball but I was happy for the storm for example.

    On top of that the Seahawks have a catchment area from Washington, Alaska, BC, parts of Oregon, parts of Idaho. Millions of people there.

    Seahawks games are readily accessible with an antenna. Most husky games are on the PAC12 network which you can't get on direct tv. Many of the games are also evening kick offs which puts people off.

    If the huskies went on an Alabama style run and were perennial contenders then you would get the bandwagoners.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1286
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I doubt the Huskies will ever be bigger than the Seahawks, even if the hawks were terrible.

    Seattle is a city of transplants, most incomers will have their college teams already. Some in Seattle also went to WSU, WWU, EWU, Seattle U, Oregon, Idaho etc.

    With pro sports, its easy to latch on to a team and at times can feel like a matter of civic pride when the team does well. I don't like basketball but I was happy for the storm for example.

    On top of that the Seahawks have a catchment area from Washington, Alaska, BC, parts of Oregon, parts of Idaho. Millions of people there.

    Seahawks games are readily accessible with an antenna. Most husky games are on the PAC12 network which you can't get on direct tv. Many of the games are also evening kick offs which puts people off.

    If the huskies went on an Alabama style run and were perennial contenders then you would get the bandwagoners.


    You make some good points BUT: for the 15 or so years Don Jame's coached teams were successful the Huskies were the more popular team.

    AND: Seattle is NOT a city of transplants, there are admittedly a lot of new transplants but they are an added population not a replaced population. Many people that lived in the city limits have moved to the suburbs but we are talking about the greater Seattle region here.

    And yes, there are many people that went to other schools but traditionally, outside of the inferiority complex Coug fans, they would still root for the Huskies when they were hot. It's just human nature.

    As for the statement: "I doubt the Huskies will ever be bigger than the Seahawks, even if the hawks were terrible." we have already seen that scenario and it is not true. I am a 3rd generation Seattlelite and a 3rd generation Husky, obviously it's in my blood but I have seen how this plays out.

    Someone mentioned that the Seahawk's would garner more attention if they were 5 and 9. Let me tell you what happens in THAT scenario:

    1. When the Seahawks get to 5 and 7, the majority of Seahawks fans have given up on the season.

    2. When they get to 5 and 9, Mariners Syndrome sets in and fans are resigned to their fate (and probably their future).

    3. Beyond that, "Blue Friday" becomes "Who? Friday."
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • The Don James era of the Huskies existed as the Seahawks were still climbing out of the era of "new franchise." we were all Huskies fans in the 70s and 80s, while the Seahawks were something new (and outside one year, not good)

    One peaked while the other was still struggling. It's not comparable to today's culture. The NFL as while has grown leaps and bounds above every other sport.

    Now... the Seahawks are a mainstay in sports culture. They replaced the Huskies a decade ago. That won't be undone. The NFL is king at the moment.

    Husky fans should concentrate more on whether they can surpass the Sounders in terms of attendance and popularity at the moment.

    Or, just enjoy the fact they are back in the national college spotlight again
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Team 2017 average attendance 2016 average attendance

    Seattle Sounders FC 43,666 42,636


    21: WASHINGTON HUSKIES

    Average Attendance: 68,822
    Total Attendance: 481,755
    Stadium Name: Husky Stadium
    Location: Seattle, Washington
    Average 2017 home score: 44-14
    Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 5174
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


  • Is the Seattle of the early 90's the same as now though? It's changed dramatically and extremely gentrified, almost unrecognizable in certain neighborhoods.

    I also wonder how much of the non student younger generations that latched on to huskies in the 90's when they were good versus later generations who never caught the bug during the mediocrity of most of the 2000's and up till Chris Petersen came.

    Just like on the flip side I wonder how many fans latched on to the seahawks from younger generations that are life long fans now due to the Carroll era. On top of that the NFL has grown a ton in popularity over the last 2 decades.

    I really do fear younger generations that don't go to games for whatever reason will miss out on getting the huskies due to the pac 12 network deal being so limited or games just being at stupid times.

    Winning helps. Teams supporters hate admitting that there will always be a significant number of bandwagoners when the team is good but it happens, no one really wants to see a loser (although you will get exceptions).

    Just like if the Mariners ever get good. The numbers will swell and you'll get people admitting they've been fans from day one who couldn't tell you about the team previously, mariners shirts showing up in work places etc.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1286
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


  • Uncle Si wrote:The Don James era of the Huskies existed as the Seahawks were still climbing out of the era of "new franchise." we were all Huskies fans in the 70s and 80s, while the Seahawks were something new (and outside one year, not good)

    One peaked while the other was still struggling. It's not comparable to today's culture. The NFL as while has grown leaps and bounds above every other sport.

    Now... the Seahawks are a mainstay in sports culture. They replaced the Huskies a decade ago. That won't be undone. The NFL is king at the moment.


    This is how I see it. It makes sense that the Huskies were more popular in the 70s and 80s because The Seahawks were new and struggling to be good. Plus as you mentioned the NFL has continued to grow in popularity. Back in the 50s (and a little into the 60s?), college football as a whole was more popular than the NFL (so I've heard, I don't know the official stats or what that's based on). Then the NFL took over and has since gained a sizeable lead.

    So as much as I'd love The Huskies to be the king of football in Seattle, they aren't, and they likely won't pass The Seahawks unless they start winning like crazy and The Seahawks really fall off for a number of years.

    But who cares? One plays on Saturday (or sometimes Friday), The other plays on Sunday (or sometimes Monday or Thursday). Watch both.
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4551
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Is the Seattle of the early 90's the same as now though? It's changed dramatically and extremely gentrified, almost unrecognizable in certain neighborhoods.


    There's a certain amount of truth in what you say but remember, the Seattle region has grown in population. There has also been a certain amount of population distribution. If you are going by just neighborhoods within the city limits you aren't getting a completely accurate picture of the fan base. And remember, many of those "gentrified" neighborhoods are populated by us smug Husky alumni. Statistically, we earn more.

    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I also wonder how much of the non student younger generations that latched on to huskies in the 90's when they were good versus later generations who never caught the bug during the mediocrity of most of the 2000's and up till Chris Petersen came.


    Valid point but the same could be said of the Seahawks during their mediocrity and what may become their new mediocrity.

    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Just like on the flip side I wonder how many fans latched on to the seahawks from younger generations that are life long fans now due to the Carroll era. On top of that the NFL has grown a ton in popularity over the last 2 decades.


    Most Husky fans are life-long Seahawks fans too, that doesn't mean one won't be more popular than the other at different times.

    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I really do fear younger generations that don't go to games for whatever reason will miss out on getting the huskies due to the pac 12 network deal being so limited or games just being at stupid times.


    This is a VERY strong point that you made before, the new game times and only allowing certain games to be televised on the Pac-12 network really limits their availability.

    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Winning helps. Teams supporters hate admitting that there will always be a significant number of bandwagoners when the team is good but it happens, no one really wants to see a loser (although you will get exceptions).


    Agreed, and that's basically what I am talking about here. I never said that the Huskies were more popular, in fact just the opposite when I said it was TOO EARLY to proclaim that. I am also NOT saying that fans will, or should, reject the Seahawks if they aren't good, just that they won't be AS popular. You can already see it, in fact just go out in public today and tell me how many people are decked out in Seahawk's gear for Blue Friday. There has already been a significant decrease in enthusiasm.

    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Just like if the Mariners ever get good. The numbers will swell and you'll get people admitting they've been fans from day one who couldn't tell you about the team previously, mariners shirts showing up in work places etc.


    And like I said, it's just human nature.

    My dream scenario is that the Seahawks will win a Super Bowl in the same year as the Huskies win another national title. It's a Seattle thing.
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • Uncle Si wrote:The Don James era of the Huskies existed as the Seahawks were still climbing out of the era of "new franchise." we were all Huskies fans in the 70s and 80s, while the Seahawks were something new (and outside one year, not good)

    One peaked while the other was still struggling. It's not comparable to today's culture. The NFL as while has grown leaps and bounds above every other sport.

    Now... the Seahawks are a mainstay in sports culture. They replaced the Huskies a decade ago. That won't be undone. The NFL is king at the moment.

    Husky fans should concentrate more on whether they can surpass the Sounders in terms of attendance and popularity at the moment.

    Or, just enjoy the fact they are back in the national college spotlight again


    Lol, so typical of Sounder's fans, most of whom reject mainstream sports because they either weren't good at them, weren't physically mature enough to play them, or just felt left out in general at school. They have banded together to proclaim their elite status playing, or celebrating, "the world's biggest sport", something that they can't seem to say enough. In America, it's the ultimate "participation" sport.

    They kind of remind me of the old joke: "God created punk rock so ugly kids could be cool too."

    :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


  • Lol?

    I'm not a Sounders fan. I just know their popularity is big and growing. Average attendance for 4 home games over 20 is a frail line to cling to.

    getting an understanding for those that watch is it important. For example, 212 million watched a premier league soccer match hours before 105 million worldwide watched the super bowl. A league match, one of over 50 games the participants played that year, drew double the viewers of the super bowls worldwide audience.

    700 million watched the world cup final. They weren't all hipsters.

    It's growing fast. And whether you believe it's merely a participation sport or not makes little difference in the shear volume of people who play it and spend money to watch it here in the US and particularly on the west coast.

    It won't catch the NFL. But in cities like Seattle it will push other sports.

    My dream scenario is similar to yours.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Next


It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:13 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: jammerhawk and 31 guests