Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Washington vs. Auburn

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Washington vs. Auburn
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:45 pm
  • Damn, I love that guy.

#8 was one of my favorite Huskies of all time.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:03 pm
  • I hate this OC.

Running the football?

On 2nd and long?

In a must have drive?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:04 pm
  • We got browninged right there he caved in an embarrassing fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:05 pm
  • The wr dropped the ball he should never have been in that situation
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:15 pm
  • To be fair, those runs gave us no chance. Though that pass to the WR was too high.

Literally leaving the game in the hands of a below average QB with 3rd and long is the fault of the OC. He converted one running but I wouldn't bet on those.

The best players on Auburn were the DL and LBs, so running up the middle on them was dumb. Maybe to set them up later but you were literally on the last drive. Just stupid.

It would be amazing to see this defense with these WRs and RBs, and this OL - paired with an above average QB like the Huskies used to churn out regularly. But this QB paired with this OC looks worrying.

I get he is putting a new system in and there is a learning curve but he is already showing predilections that makes me concerned. I understand that he felt putting the ball in the hands of his great RB was all he could do, since pinning the game on Browning to win it for you seems somewhat ridiculous. But their corners were giving up plays all night, and even Browning can complete a freaking pass for 7 yds. Giving Browning 1 chance to make a great pass was the problem, he needs 3.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:26 pm
  • I’m going to be real glad when the Browning era is OVER!
    He chokes in big games. I have no faith in him against good-great teams.
    Too many boneheaded plays. He is a senior yet is still making freshman-like mistakes.

He won’t be playing on Sundays next year.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:27 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:To be fair, those runs gave us no chance. Though that pass to the WR was too high.

Literally leaving the game in the hands of a below average QB with 3rd and long is the fault of the OC. He converted one running but I wouldn't bet on those.

The best players on Auburn were the DL and LBs, so running up the middle on them was dumb. Maybe to set them up later but you were literally on the last drive. Just stupid.

It would be amazing to see this defense with these WRs and RBs, and this OL - paired with an above average QB like the Huskies used to churn out regularly. But this QB paired with this OC looks worrying.

I get he is putting a new system in and there is a learning curve but he is already showing predilections that makes me concerned. I understand that he felt putting the ball in the hands of his great RB was all he could do, since pinning the game on Browning to win it for you seems somewhat ridiculous. But their corners were giving up plays all night, and even Browning can complete a freaking pass for 7 yds. Giving Browning 1 chance to make a great pass was the problem, he needs 3.

Very Bevellesque play calling outside of that one TD drive.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:32 pm
  • There are plenty of QBs that won't be playing on Sundays but are fantastic college QBs.

Browning is not one of those. He did what he could but he isn't good enough. His OC made it worse for him though.

That said, I want him to complete the season injury free. Then I am throwing a "Browning Is Finally Gone!" party. He might have filled the holes for a year that we needed him, but getting stuck with him for 4 years on teams that were loaded with NFL talent is a high price to pay. We left a lot of wins on the table.

Will be glad to see him succeed in the next phase of his life. By all accounts, he is a fantastic and giving person. A good guy. Just kind of a below average QB at a time we needed a very good one.

Let's hope the OC's decisions today were an outlier though, and not an indicator.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Washington vs. Auburn
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:34 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:I can see I am really going to hate this OC all year long.

Not a fan.

Jimmy Lake on the other hand, is looking great. Considering the fact he is being asked to win this game singlehandedly.

Uhhh, He is not doing it alone. Pete Kiatowski or whatever his name is, is still there. They’re co-Defensive coordinators. What pissed me off the most on defense was the lack of adjustments. UW played the “let’s no get beat by playing the top” all freaking game. It was annoying to watch. We made a freaking bum QB look like Aaron freaking Rodgers.

With that said...Jake Browning is still trash. Remember when some analysts had him as the top quarterback in their mock drafts a few years ago??? I never once believed that pile of poo poo. Yeah I get that UW called some dumb ass plays down the stretch but Jake Browning is still a scrub QB.

Oh and I’m tired of Peterson recruiting philosophy and his obsession with OKGs...We need some goons if we want to compete with the SEC. Ben BurKirven or whatever his name is wouldn’t even make the roster for any of these SEC teams. He’s trash and idgaf if he’s an OKG. He’s not good plain and simple and he shouldn’t be starting for any elite D-1 school. Peterson has to understand this isn’t the WAC or Mountain West anymore where he can get away with recruiting choir boys. He needs to bring in some rough riders like Stephen A. Smith would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:38 pm
  • Im not that disappointed in his performance. He had almost 300 yards.

There is a lot of blame to go around that first 3 quarters. Nobody was ready to play, the D looked lost the first qtr, a horrible screen by a WR cost points, lousy kick, lousy play call with Browning on an option, lousy no call on the spearing, OL was overmatched at times. But to go on the road first game and play a top tier SEC team that close with a chance to win isnt anything to hang their head about.

I still think they can run the table and get another shot.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:37 pm
  • justafan wrote:Im not that disappointed in his performance. He had almost 300 yards.

There is a lot of blame to go around that first 3 quarters. Nobody was ready to play, the D looked lost the first qtr, a horrible screen by a WR cost points, lousy kick, lousy play call with Browning on an option, lousy no call on the spearing, OL was overmatched at times. But to go on the road first game and play a top tier SEC team that close with a chance to win isnt anything to hang their head about.

I still think they can run the table and get another shot.

When Jake Browning wins a big game, it will be the first time.

Not saying your other points are not valid, they are.
    But a Senior QB on one of the best teams in CF, needs to step up his play to the next level. He did that on only one drive.
    I expect more. Moral victory’s shouldn’t even be a variable for a team like Washington.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:00 pm
  • That might not be fair.

Browning is not great. But he never was. He had a lot of guys that made incredible plays to get him big yardage.

Ross. Pettis. Likely now Jones and Fuller.

As Husky fans we have seen this and know this. It is not his fault he keeps getting asked to be a starting QB on a team that is loaded all over the place but for QB. Obviously the next guy up is hopefully worse, because he isn't losing his starting position as average as he has played.

So the problem is not Browning but the outsized expectation that this team can be #5 or #6 with a below average QB.

That is more the problem of the person with the expectation than the QB though. We know what we get from Browning in these games, or we should know....by now. So it shouldn't be a surprise.

But he is what he is. Hard to blame Browning for playing like....Browning.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:23 pm
  • Huskies did well but going to the red zone twice and getting zero points was always going to cost us. When it was in Brownings hands to win at the end I wasn't feeling it, he's no Russell Wilson.

I think those wr's will do well against pac12 defences. Unlike other years we may have 3 other good qbs in the roster if Browning struggles. Wouldnt be shocked if yankoff or haener get a chance.

Sounds like tre adams may be out for the year with a back injury.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:24 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:That might not be fair.

Browning is not great. But he never was. He had a lot of guys that made incredible plays to get him big yardage.

Ross. Pettis. Likely now Jones and Fuller.

As Husky fans we have seen this and know this. It is not his fault he keeps getting asked to be a starting QB on a team that is loaded all over the place but for QB. Obviously the next guy up is hopefully worse, because he isn't losing his starting position as average as he has played.

So the problem is not Browning but the outsized expectation that this team can be #5 or #6 with a below average QB.

That is more the problem of the person with the expectation than the QB though. We know what we get from Browning in these games, or we should know....by now. So it shouldn't be a surprise.

But he is what he is. Hard to blame Browning for playing like....Browning.

It’s not fair? It comes with the territory of being a Senior QB on one of the best college teams.
    If you listen to the UW Honks/Homers they think that Browning is a great QB who’s had some bad luck and just waiting to break out.

I’m sure Jake is a wonderful human being and a great kid, he just isn’t a great QB. Being a great person doesn’t = being a great college QB.

He will put up great numbers against crap teams, but when it comes time to play the big games against the big boys it’s too much pressure.

As a diehard UW Fan I’ve been hoping he proves me wrong, so far he hasn’t.

...and for the 300 yards comment uphread, I don’t care about fantasy football stats. I care about points and TD’s.
    Jake lead his team to exactly 1 TD today, one!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:25 pm
  • You are right.

But Browning is a known commodity at this point.

Put it this way, the kicks that Walsh missed last year - were those his fault? Or the fault of the person who made the decision to put him in a position to have to make those kicks?

We knew Walsh was a shaky FG kicker with accuracy issues. We used him anyway.

I am sure he did the best he could, but it just wasn't good enough. It isn't like he didn't try.

Same with Browning. He is doing the best he can. His best just isn't good enough against the better teams.

So is that his fault? Is it that we simply don't have anything in the cupboard as far as good QBs? Or is it the fault of the decisions to use Browning over someone that would do better?

Either way, Browning flaming out isn't new or weird. It is no surprise. So yes, it is very unfair to compare him to Russell Wilson.

The fault/blame lies in either the decision to use him or the failure to get anyone better for 3 years now.

And I don't think it is fair to expect much from him because he doesn't have that much that he can do, and his OC literally gave him very little help. If anything, the OC made it harder by forcing Browning repeatedly into 3rd and longs.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:57 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:To be fair, those runs gave us no chance. .

Don't want to play the blame game BUT this stands out...

Proud of the way the team fought.
    Fallin' in love with this new installment of the Seahawks!!!
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:04 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote: Very Bevellesque play calling outside of that one TD drive.

It'a like deja vu all over again.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:17 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Sounds like tre adams may be out for the year with a back injury.

Sucks, we really needed him to be healthy this year.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:29 pm
  • I'm hammered.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:44 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:15 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:46 am
  • Huskies made much more of a game of it than I expected. I don't say that hating on the Huskies so much as I just expected the cross country trip to cause a bigger difference in the game.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:21 am
  • I've sat through Ty Willingham and Keith Gilbertson, so if Petersen can take us to the point someone even thinks of ranking us in the top 10 - I am OK.

Chris seems to gravitate toward QBs like Browning, he reminds me of a crappier Kellen Moore. And sure, when we play other teams at least half the time the QB on the opposing sideline looks like a better QB and I wistfully wonder what the Huskies would be like with a guy like him. But I have accepted that higher tiers of QB might be Petersen's blind spot. He still wins in spite of that.

Not sure how that will look with this new OC but I am hoping it is him figuring things out and not an issue we will be stuck with for years to come.

I think the media sees a senior QB and automatically wants to rank the team higher, but this is a senior QB making mistakes with a pitch near the EZ or still throwing late to receivers that ends up making it easy for the defender to come back and tip the ball. He isn't going to be a great QB and this team will have to acknowledge that and try to scheme around it. There are a lot of strengths to this team and a lot of pieces look better than I expected. We can work around having an average to below average QB.

I didn't expect us to win this one, you need a great QB to have a chance in games like this. Might be rough beating USC for the same reason. But it will be a pretty good team, just have to realize this won't be the year for a number of reasons already covered.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:40 am
  • Change the record TH. You're repeating the same thing.

Thing is, they didn't need Browning to be better to win this one. They needed some better play calling at opportune moments.

Constantly dissertating on your concerns with Browning doesn't change the fact he went on the road against a top 10 SEC opponent, threw for nearly 300 yards, made some big time throws. A couple play calls and a missed call by the ref were the difference.

No, he's not pro level QB. But he's taken the program to heights it hadn't seen in a decade plus and had a good game yesterday.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:52 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Change the record TH. You're repeating the same thing.

Thing is, they didn't need Browning to be better to win this one. They needed some better play calling at opportune moments.

Constantly dissertating on your concerns with Browning doesn't change the fact he went on the road against a top 10 SEC opponent, threw for nearly 300 yards, made some big time throws. A couple play calls and a missed call by the ref were the difference.

No, he's not pro level QB. But he's taken the program to heights it hadn't seen in a decade plus and had a good game yesterday.

Ditto

It gets ridiculous, it seems to me that Alabama and other schools have won more than one NC without a pro-caliber QB.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:11 pm
  • I know teams want balance. But they should have kept throwing the ball, they were drawing PI calls on every other pass.

The WR's are the low key story of this game. I feel they will destroy Pac-12 secondaries based on what they did aginst Auburn's DB's.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:11 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:I know teams want balance. But they should have kept throwing the ball, they were drawing PI calls on every other pass.

The WR's are the low key story of this game. I feel they will destroy Pac-12 secondaries based on what they did aginst Auburn's DB's.

Yep on the first part.

On their DB's, I don't think they are the strength of that D.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:31 pm
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:36 am
  • And there it is. :rumble: :141847_bnono:

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:28 pm

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:41 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Afraid to call because they called some that weren't. One extreme to another.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:31 pm
  • What was Mark Jones's original tweet?
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:49 pm
  • A day after Washington lost to Auburn in Week 1, ESPN announcer Mark Jones sent a tweet that would normally look innocuous but made a lot of Huskies fans and Pac-12 people mad:

MarkJonesESPN

@MarkJonesESPN
    Washington Huskies took one one on the chin. Where’s Montana ?

Montana was on Washington’s maligned non-conference schedule in 2017, and the Huskies won easily. They scheduled a top-10 Auburn in 2018 and ... did not win easily.

The backlash to Jones’ tweet was swift, both from media members ...

Jon Wilner

@wilnerhotline
    Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott cannot let this pass without 1) an explanation 2) an apology and 3) Jones being prohibited from calling UW games

MarkJonesESPN

@MarkJonesESPN
    Washington Huskies took one one on the chin. Where’s Montana ?

... and fans, like this one:

Mmmmm, K
    @pdxdawgfan
    Replying to @MarkJonesESPN
    @ESPN this is a perfect example of how you have debased yourselves to cheap shots, biased reporting, & tittilating sound bytes to trigger reactions. Many of us have lost respect for you and will switch our viewing to NBC, Fox, Root, or ANY other network. #actlikeaprofessional

One tweeter appeared to suggest Jones was making fun of a hit to the head of Washington quarterback Jake Browning in the Auburn game, which officials didn’t call.

Mike Drayer
    @drdrayer
    Replying to @wilnerhotline @Softykjr
    Forget about Jones’ unprofessionalism and disdain for UW. We get it; he has every right to take pot shots, regardless of how lame. But let’s distill this down to what it is: he’s making light of a vicious helmet to helmet hit on a 20 yr old kid.

It’s not clear how much thought went into “took one on the chin” as Jones’ metaphor.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... -espn-feud
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:29 pm
  • The officiating overall was pretty good. They missed the personal foul call on Jake, but I don't like having to rely on that kind of penalty to move the chains.

What really pissed me off was Baccellia blocking that guy in the back. I saw him running behind the Auburn player and was like "don't do it, don't do it..."...and sure enough he just had to shove him. You'd think that would be an easy mental process....are you looking at the guy's back? If yes, don't push him.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:50 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I’m going to be real glad when the Browning era is OVER!
    He chokes in big games. I have no faith in him against good-great teams.
    Too many boneheaded plays. He is a senior yet is still making freshman-like mistakes.

He won’t be playing on Sundays next year.

Overreacting a bit? Jake certainly wasn't perfect but he played well enough to win. That game was not on him, yes he had two T/O's BUT: the first one was an oft-practiced scramble drill, receiver was supposed to come back to that spot - second one was an option where an o-lineman blew his assignment allowing a d-lineman in our backfield. Jake didn't lateral late, that's the way the play is designed - you gotta sell it.

The team traveled all the way across the country and stayed and played in a different time zone, that's never easy. They played in a hostile stadium that was essentially a home game for Auburn. Their All-American candidate OT didn't make the trip, I think that played a much bigger factor than most people realize - in fact, it tipped the scales in favor of Auburn's D-line. They didn't get obvious calls, their OC dropped the ball down the stretch and did his best imitation of Bevell. Lots of stuff happened that had NOTHING to do with Jake Browning.

In spite of all that the Huskies (a team with the 24th ranked composite talent against a team with the 8th ranked composite talent) outplayed Auburn for 2 1/2 to 3 quarters. This isn't an excuse or a suggestion that there was a "moral victory" here, it's just a more accurate recounting of what actually happened.

We all would have liked to have a victory here but neither Jake Browning nor the entire Husky team have anything to hang their head about.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information