#11 UW is a 17-point favorite over #20 BYU?

D

DomeHawk

Who is this oddsmaker? Last week I mentioned that in the world of sport's betting the 17.5 point spread against ASU was the kind of gem I looked for when I was sport's betting. This week it's 17 points against a team that went into Madison and beat a #6 Wisconsin on the road.

I don't ever bet against my own team but this looks like it might be another good bet statistically. But, don't take my word for it, it's college football, anything can happen.

Good article that at least partially reinforces my point: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/279 ... tting-pick

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Outwith Oregon, WSU and Stanford, this is one game I do not want to lose. Going to my brother in laws in Salt Lake for Thanksgiving and don't want him and any other of their fans reminding me that they beat us and effed our season.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Well, I guess it wasn't too big of a point spread.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":ci9ujew0 said:
Well, I guess it wasn't too big of a point spread.

I was at the game, BYU is better than the score indicated. If a couple of things had went different in the first half they wouldn't have had to go so far away from their game plan. I actually thought that their OC was pretty inventive with some of the plays they executed. In the end though, they just couldn't match our team speed.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Never underestimate an odd Vegas spread. They just know things we don’t.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Vegas spread has nothing to do with what 'they' think of a team. I think it has to do with where the points need to be in order to lure the general public into betting 50% for each team so that Vegas doesn't lose money. If you ask me, using the spread is just like asking a bunch of random people what they think.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

GeekHawk":3auvlpe0 said:
I'm pretty sure the Vegas spread has nothing to do with what 'they' think of a team. I think it has to do with where the points need to be in order to lure the general public into betting 50% for each team so that Vegas doesn't lose money. If you ask me, using the spread is just like asking a bunch of random people what they think.

From a reformed sport's bettor: This is true with the opening odds but it typically wouldn't be drastically different from closing odds that are usually 1 to 2 points different. No offense, but it's somewhat of a myth that Vegas will offer drastically unrealistic odds to draw bets. There are plenty of whales out there that will jump on that and they don't want to be stuck with handing out wheelbarrows of cash.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
BYU didn't look like a top 20 team. I'm guessing they may have had injuries but even then that was a total ass kicking, their offense did nothing and would have had zero points if not for that punt return fumble at the end of the game. Hard to believe they beat Wisconsin away and Arizona in the desert.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Don't be shocked if BYU loses at home on Thursday to Utah State.