Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Husky LB, Ben Burr-Kirven, National def. player of the week.

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • LB-Ben Burr-Kirven - National defensive player of the week. Having a great season so far, Potential Seahawk option in the coming draft? Death--backer? See a nice writeup here: :D

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... s-defense/
    :smilingalien:
    ------------------Rashaad Penny, the next great Seahawks RB.------------------
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• Love BBK, but he's pretty small for an NFL linebacker.

Could be a special teams ace if nothing else.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

• drrew wrote:Love BBK, but he's pretty small for an NFL linebacker.

Could be a special teams ace if nothing else.

I was thinking the same thing, with that speed he could be a great safety. I hate to eliminate someone on size though, people overcome that all the time. 15-20 lbs and he's right there, just depends on whether his body can carry it.

Having said all that, thanks for posting this, he's a great kid who's having a great year!
    Fallin' in love with this new installment of the Seahawks!!!
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• Sam Mills made himself quite a career in the NFL at less than that height and about the same weight.

BBK is kind of cut of that same mold. A small linebacker who plays a lot bigger. Sure tackler with a great innate sense of how to navigate the wash of the LOS.

His speed is a great asset. But it's not his greatest. He should be fine in the NFL despite the size deficiency. His other traits (extremely quick/decisive diagnosis of plays and ability to cleanly navigate the LOS) more than compensate for it. He is lighter than Bobby Wagner but has a lot of the exact same traits he does (sure tackler and aggressively makes plays at or behind the LOS). His play belies his lack of size.

I predict he'll be a day three pick and make an active 45 on Sundays. Probably make some spot starts his rookie year. I see him as a superior prospect than Shaquem Griffin was coming out last season. Consistently shows better ability to attack the LOS clean at the college level. In that regard, he reminds me of Luke Kuechly coming out of BC. Just has the innate ability to not get blocked amidst the chaos of the LOS.

No need to consider him at safety. His best qualities suggest he stays where he is.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Attyla the Hawk wrote:Sam Mills made himself quite a career in the NFL at less than that height and about the same weight.

BBK is kind of cut of that same mold. A small linebacker who plays a lot bigger. Sure tackler with a great innate sense of how to navigate the wash of the LOS.

His speed is a great asset. But it's not his greatest. He should be fine in the NFL despite the size deficiency. His other traits (extremely quick/decisive diagnosis of plays and ability to cleanly navigate the LOS) more than compensate for it. He is lighter than Bobby Wagner but has a lot of the exact same traits he does (sure tackler and aggressively makes plays at or behind the LOS). His play belies his lack of size.

I predict he'll be a day three pick and make an active 45 on Sundays. Probably make some spot starts his rookie year. I see him as a superior prospect than Shaquem Griffin was coming out last season. Consistently shows better ability to attack the LOS clean at the college level. In that regard, he reminds me of Luke Kuechly coming out of BC. Just has the innate ability to not get blocked amidst the chaos of the LOS.

No need to consider him at safety. His best qualities suggest he stays where he is.

Sam Mills was 5'9" 232 lbs., Ben is 6'0 221 lbs. but yes, they were/are considered too small for their position. At 6-foot Ben shouldn't have any problem putting on 10-15 lbs and retaining his speed. I have seen Ben play many times in person and you are struck by both his speed and hard hitting style. He is a real warrior on the field but plays really smart too, always seeming to know what angle to take. The funny thing about him though, is his 40-times, while good, aren't really that impressive at around an average of 4.8. He has short-burst quickness though, what some would call football speed.

And yes, with those 40-times, it would be highly unlikely that anyone would draft him as a safety.
    Fallin' in love with this new installment of the Seahawks!!!
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information