UW opens as a 21 point favorite at UCLA.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Big trap game. We suck at the Rose Bowl. UCLA will get their first win at some point. Not a good combination.

D

DomeHawk

Glasgow Seahawk":g6kpu3y6 said:
Big trap game. We suck at the Rose Bowl. UCLA will get their first win at some point. Not a good combination.

It's easy to see this as a trap game with Oregon coming up next and coming off a strong performance, but I think this team is really focused right now.

I'm going to the game with my niece and her husband who live right in Pasadena so I am really looking forward to it.

Because: IT'S GREAT TO BE A HUSKY!!!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not sure I see it as much of a trap game.

UCLA is bad at both sides of the ball. UW has a much better defense which usually travels well. They aren't explosive. UW can easily afford to load up the box and focus on stopping the run.

Defensively, they are not talented either. They are giving up almost 200 yards per game rushing and it's not as if they got gashed in one really bad game. They are consistently surrendering 170+. Teams that can run the ball can do so with impunity.

It's a very bad matchup for the Bruins. We can run the ball well. They can't stop it. Should be getting 5-8 yard chunks at a go with relative ease.

Trap games usually result in bad teams that somehow match up well to what the better team likes to do. This isn't that kind of game. 21 points sounds about right. Extreme misfortune with turnovers would be required to make this less than a 10 point win. Both teams are pretty decent at taking care of the ball.

D

DomeHawk

Attyla the Hawk":2bnbxw54 said:
Not sure I see it as much of a trap game.

UCLA is bad at both sides of the ball. UW has a much better defense which usually travels well. They aren't explosive. UW can easily afford to load up the box and focus on stopping the run.

Defensively, they are not talented either. They are giving up almost 200 yards per game rushing and it's not as if they got gashed in one really bad game. They are consistently surrendering 170+. Teams that can run the ball can do so with impunity.

It's a very bad matchup for the Bruins. We can run the ball well. They can't stop it. Should be getting 5-8 yard chunks at a go with relative ease.

Trap games usually result in bad teams that somehow match up well to what the better team likes to do. This isn't that kind of game. 21 points sounds about right. Extreme misfortune with turnovers would be required to make this less than a 10 point win. Both teams are pretty decent at taking care of the ball.

Good analysis but I am somewhat confused over your definition of what a trap game is. It isn't a matchup between bad teams; popular usage has a trap game as a matchup between a good team and a bad team where the good team takes the other too lightly.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... rap%20game

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":10xcjc1c said:
Good analysis but I am somewhat confused over your definition of what a trap game is. It isn't a matchup between bad teams; popular usage has a trap game as a matchup between a good team and a bad team where the good team takes the other too lightly.

I understand it's good team versus bad.

But not all games with one good team versus a bad team are 'trap' games. Usually the unexpected outcome is a result that the worse team, despite being bad, happens to do one element well that the other team is not particularly good at either.

In this case, I see it as a bad team that is particularly bad at what the UW does well. It would take a multitude of failures on UW's part to lead to a loss. Now that could happen. But generally speaking good defense and good running games travel well. The Huskies are quite good at both. UCLA is quite bad at both. In my estimation, it would take a great deal more than just simply not respecting or playing well for UW to lose this game. Horrible injuries and massive turnover differential is likely going to factor in. Neither of those things I would consider elements of a trap game.

A trap game to me is one a team should win, but is outplayed/coached and loses. I think UW could be relatively outplayed and outcoached and still win fairly handily. To me it would require elements beyond UWs control which I don't consider a factor in trap games.

UCLA is pretty ok at running the ball. UW is pretty good at defending the run. Unlike the ASU game however, UCLA doesn't have a passing attack that the UW has to scheme to stop. In fact it's dreadful and the Huskies could actually sacrifice numbers in the secondary in order to stop their run. I'd be shocked if UCLA's offense puts up 14 points for the game.

To me it would take more than just taking this opponent lightly because we have Oregon next week.

D

DomeHawk

Attyla the Hawk":1qzjho82 said:
DomeHawk":1qzjho82 said:

I understand it's good team versus bad.

But not all games with one good team versus a bad team are 'trap' games. Usually the unexpected outcome is a result that the worse team, despite being bad, happens to do one element well that the other team is not particularly good at either.

In this case, I see it as a bad team that is particularly bad at what the UW does well. It would take a multitude of failures on UW's part to lead to a loss. Now that could happen. But generally speaking good defense and good running games travel well. The Huskies are quite good at both. UCLA is quite bad at both. In my estimation, it would take a great deal more than just simply not respecting or playing well for UW to lose this game. Horrible injuries and massive turnover differential is likely going to factor in. Neither of those things I would consider elements of a trap game.

A trap game to me is one a team should win, but is outplayed/coached and loses. I think UW could be relatively outplayed and outcoached and still win fairly handily. To me it would require elements beyond UWs control which I don't consider a factor in trap games.

UCLA is pretty ok at running the ball. UW is pretty good at defending the run. Unlike the ASU game however, UCLA doesn't have a passing attack that the UW has to scheme to stop. In fact it's dreadful and the Huskies could actually sacrifice numbers in the secondary in order to stop their run. I'd be shocked if UCLA's offense puts up 14 points for the game.

To me it would take more than just taking this opponent lightly because we have Oregon next week.

I get what you're saying but I do see us looking forward to Oregon the week after as the ONLY way we could lose this game.

There is no way that UCLA should beat us, they don't have the horses even if we are outcoached. It would take a colossal letdown.

But, stranger things have happened.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Huskies had a chance to step on the Bruins throat and let them make it a closer game than it should have been. If they play like they did yesterday they will lose next week.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
The defense was really sloppy, missed a lot of tackles. Was a decent first half but awful 3rd quarter.

I may be wrong though but I feel dual threat quarterbacks give us fits, like Khalil Tate and the UCLA QB tonight. I think Utah had one a couple of years ago too. Luckily some of them aren't great at throwing on the run.

Against more conventional QB's they do better.

UCLA are improving though.

If the Huskies win next week though, they are in the driving seat for the PAC 12.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
On another note, with Gaskin a little banged up, we need to start thinking about playing McGrew and Pleasant more so they get experience. Happy with the carries Ahmed has got in the last few weeks.

D

DomeHawk

Glasgow Seahawk":2h08f9na said:
The defense was really sloppy, missed a lot of tackles. Was a decent first half but awful 3rd quarter.

I may be wrong though but I feel dual threat quarterbacks give us fits, like Khalil Tate and the UCLA QB tonight. I think Utah had one a couple of years ago too. Luckily some of them aren't great at throwing on the run.

Against more conventional QB's they do better.

UCLA are improving though.

If the Huskies win next week though, they are in the driving seat for the PAC 12.

Was shocked at the performance of the secondary. This was a true freshman QB who has accuracy problems. Chip Kelly has always been noted for his offense though and he certainly succeeded in exposing the secondary's weaknesses. Don't think that Oregon didn't notice too. Jimmy Lake came in with a game plan to pressure the QB and it did NOT work, not one single sack that I can remember.

Other than that the weather was great and had a great time with my niece and husband.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Washington, for whatever reason, decided to spend most of Saturday playing a combination of blitzing five with a soft zone defense behind it. The blitz rarely got to the QB, and left holes in the zone behind it that the QB picked apart. Hopefully we don't try the same strategy against Oregon or they'll put up 50+ on UW.

D

DomeHawk

SeatownJay":1ycntpkp said:
Washington, for whatever reason, decided to spend most of Saturday playing a combination of blitzing five with a soft zone defense behind it. The blitz rarely got to the QB, and left holes in the zone behind it that the QB picked apart. Hopefully we don't try the same strategy against Oregon or they'll put up 50+ on UW.

Yeah, that was essentially the story of the second half. I haven't read the stats but i can't remember one single sack. Their receivers found vacant spaces in the zone and It also played against the DB's and LB's who got really winded running to those open spaces. BBK mentioned that it was as dusted as he had ever been in a game. The weather should not have been a factor, the weatherman said it was only 76 degrees but, being there, it felt much warmer in the stadium. There is also the fact that we don't practice or play on grass anymore and I know from experience that it will fatigue you much quicker than turf if you are sprinting a lot. We were actually playing quite a few backups in the second half, at least partially because of that.

And yeah, I don't think that strategy is what they expected at all. I go to every UW home game and watching UCLA in person they did NOT look like a 0 and 4 team. In fact they looked every bit as good as ASU and BYU did to me. They were fast, hit hard, and played with incredible emotion. I think they will get better and better.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2ecou5or said:
SeatownJay":2ecou5or said:

Yeah, that was essentially the story of the second half. I haven't read the stats but i can't remember one single sack. Their receivers found vacant spaces in the zone and It also played against the DB's and LB's who got really winded running to those open spaces. BBK mentioned that it was as dusted as he had ever been in a game. The weather should not have been a factor, the weatherman said it was only 76 degrees but, being there, it felt much warmer in the stadium. There is also the fact that we don't practice or play on grass anymore and I know from experience that it will fatigue you much quicker than turf if you are sprinting a lot. We were actually playing quite a few backups in the second half, at least partially because of that.

And yeah, I don't think that strategy is what they expected at all. I go to every UW home game and watching UCLA in person they did NOT look like a 0 and 4 team. In fact they looked every bit as good as ASU and BYU did to me. They were fast, hit hard, and played with incredible emotion. I think they will get better and better.
Watched the game and my impression was that UW didn't seem up for this one.
UCLA might suck but at some point that offense was going to come around and it did
in this one.Hope CP reamed them afterwards about playing down to a team they should
beat easily ..It happens all the time and not just to UW but I don't like seeing it.