Chris Petersen is not an elite coach

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The Washington Huskies under Chris Petersen are:

1-3 in Bowl games.
8-13 against ranked opponents.
18-13 away from Husky Stadium.
3-4 against non-conference Power 5 schools.

He is a very good coach, the best this program has had since Don James, but he is not elite. The wide-open, risk-taking, fearless playcaller that he was at Boise State has disappeared completely. He is now so conservative that it is costing the team games. His clock management is questionable at times, as are his game plans. His in-game adjustments are very hit-or-miss as well. I believe Washington will continue to win 8-10 games a year and occasionally play for the Pac-12 championship under Coach Pete, but they will not be the perennial national title contenders that a lot of people predicted when he was hired.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Meh. I think he'll look better without Browning.

Threedee

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3m9btvah said:
Meh. I think he'll look better without Browning.

And Browning was a step-up from that atrocious Cyler Miles that Sark left him with. Harbaugh has had the same fate. Inherited an even worse team than Petersen did, and then recruited a shitty QB in Speith. Now he has a passable QB, and Michigan seems to be going places.

chris98251

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2na28tyf said:
The Washington Huskies under Chris Petersen are:

1-3 in Bowl games.
8-13 against ranked opponents.
18-13 away from Husky Stadium.
3-4 against non-conference Power 5 schools.

He is a very good coach, the best this program has had since Don James, but he is not elite. The wide-open, risk-taking, fearless playcaller that he was at Boise State has disappeared completely. He is now so conservative that it is costing the team games. His clock management is questionable at times, as are his game plans. His in-game adjustments are very hit-or-miss as well. I believe Washington will continue to win 8-10 games a year and occasionally play for the Pac-12 championship under Coach Pete, but they will not be the perennial national title contenders that a lot of people predicted when he was hired.

Probably true, after all the South East has a few questionable practices and Peterson plays by the rules.

justafan

Reaction score
UW isnt an elite program.In the last 50 years we have had maybe a 5 or 6 teams that were relevant in the National Champion conversation.Peterson coached and recruited one of those.

The Pac 12 is watered down with CO and UT being allowed in.Its not an elite conference.

Washington high school football isnt an elite recruiting base.

We are lucky to have Peterson here at all.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think Peterson is a damn good coach, look what he did in Boise and making UW relevant for the first time in a long time. Now if you want to talk elite he's defintly not in that class but who is? I can think of 3 maybe 4 guys that I would put in there.
1-Saben
2-Sweeny
3-Meyer
4-Brian Kelly?
You might be able to make a case for Riley, Smart but let's see where those programs go in a couple of years before you call them elite. I'd probably throw Mike Leach in there somewhere just because I'm a Coug fan. I guess my point is who is elite?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Whoever was predicting UW as a perennial national title contender just because of a coach was pretty crazy. If that is the fan expectation, it’s just too high.

I think he has a done a nice job with program really.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3xb607se said:
Whoever was predicting UW as a perennial national title contender just because of a coach was pretty crazy. If that is the fan expectation, it’s just too high.

I think he has a done a nice job with program really.
Oh, I think he's a really good coach who's done a fine job here, but ever since he was hired I heard people saying that UW would dominate the Pac 12. Even on yesterday's broadcast one of the announcers said he was one of the five best coaches in the country.

D

DomeHawk

(Pardon me , I just posted the same thing on the game thread but it applies here as well.)

Coach Petersen is a great program coach and for the most part a good game-day coach but for some inexplicable reason he is inclined to make absolutely horrible game-time decisions at the most critical times of the game.

Putting in a rookie QB that has NEVER played one single down against an FBS school when we are backed up on our own 10-yd line? It's freaking unbelievable? We all were mumbling, "he's going to throw an INT." No surprise there.

I think it can be reasonably argued that he has possibly cost us all three games this season. At the time of every one of those decisions I have been watching the game in a room with former college football players, current high school football coaches, and current high school football players. Virtually every single one of us was up yelling at the TV asking WTH he was doing each time!

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
DomeHawk":drdjg5l9 said:
(Pardon me , I just posted the same thing on the game thread but it applies here as well.)

Coach Petersen is a great program coach and for the most part a good game-day coach but for some inexplicable reason he is inclined to make absolutely horrible game-time decisions at the most critical times of the game.

Putting in a rookie QB that has NEVER played one single down against an FBS school when we are backed up on our own 10-yd line? It's freaking unbelievable? We all were mumbling, "he's going to throw an INT." No surprise there.

I think it can be reasonably argued that he has possibly cost us all three games this season. At the time of every one of those decisions I have been watching the game in a room with former college football players, current high school football coaches, and current high school football players. Virtually every single one of us was up yelling at the TV asking WTH he was doing each time!
Agreed.

Peterson is a good coach. There are times you do wonder "WTH, are you doing, Petersen?!!"

Petersen, is a good coach, but he is only a good coach.

He can't seem to cross over into the "Great" coach tier.

IMO, Petersen is overrated. And I'm a Husky Alumnus.

Petersen cannot seem to win the "Big game."

What's the "big game" you say?

The "Big game" is the game UW is not expected to win.

The only big game Petersen has won is the Friday Night Stanford game at Husky Stadium a few years back.

That's it.

To be an elite coach, you need to win games you aren't expected to win.

UW's AD loves Petersen but I'm more of, "Eh, he's alright."

Am I wrong?!!!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":2ubuq5ta said:
I think Peterson is a damn good coach, look what he did in Boise and making UW relevant for the first time in a long time. Now if you want to talk elite he's defintly not in that class but who is? I can think of 3 maybe 4 guys that I would put in there.
1-Saben
2-Sweeny
3-Meyer
4-Brian Kelly? You might be able to make a case for Riley, Smart but let's see where those programs go in a couple of years before you call them elite. I'd probably throw Mike Leach in there somewhere just because I'm a Coug fan. I guess my point is who is elite?
Ha Ha..No but to be fair he changed his approach with the players and it has worked great.
That Qb change he did would never happen in past.This is where CP could take note.

Latest posts