HC Clay Helton is taking over the play calling duties

HawkGA

Reaction score
That seems like a strange combination. Did the OL coach call the plays?

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
This is more clearer.

Former UAB coach Neil Callaway has been fired from his position as offensive line coach at USC, the school announced Monday.

In addition, Trojans head coach Clay Helton will call plays for the remainder of the season. That means Mobile native and former Tennessee star Tee Martin will no longer do so, but will remain on staff as offensive coordinator to assist with game-planning.

"I felt it was an appropriate time to become more involved in the offense as we continue to develop our team for the future," Helton said. "Tee and I have had conversations about this decision and he was supportive. He has done a tremendous job here. He will stay involved with the offense as he remains the offensive coordinator, helps put together our practice and game plans and serves as my offensive eyes during games. "I want to thank Neil for all his hard work at USC. He is an outstanding coach and a great friend. I wish him nothing but the best in the future."

https://www.al.com/sports/2018/10/forme ... plays.html

hawknation2018

Reaction score
SC's offensive line coach has done a terrible job. They have way too many good linemen to get consistently destroyed along the line of scrimmage the last couple years.

Helton is obviously fighting for his job at this point. They were in range for a game tying FG at home against ASU. But the crowd starting booing for him to go for it on 4th down. So Helton calls a timeout, reverses his decision, they fail to convert, and that was pretty much the ball game.

I don't think Helton is a bad coach. He's just not a great coach. And SC expects greatness every year.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Tee Martin had been calling plays, Martin & Callaway were the Trojans version of Bevel and Cable. Drevno who had been with Harbaugh since San Diego State, save 1 short stint at USC, will likely be the O line coach.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The question is...were his assistants the problem? Or is this just the "throw the assistant coaches under the bus so I can coach 1 or 2 more years" phase of his tenure?

D

DomeHawk

fenderbender123":3mj64hok said:
The question is...were his assistants the problem? Or is this just the "throw the assistant coaches under the bus so I can coach 1 or 2 more years" phase of his tenure?

Certainly doesn't make him look any better.

I think it's a case of too little - too late, he's gone.

Latest posts