Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

WSU #8 in first CFP ranking.

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
WSU #8 in first CFP ranking.
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:44 pm

Re: WSU #8 in first CFP ranking.
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:01 am
  • Makes sense, really. They are the lowest ranked conference leader. In a position that, if they win out and a couple of the other conference leaders lose, they'd be in a position to make the playoffs.

I'm surprised how low Ohio State is.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:40 am
  • HawkGA wrote:Makes sense, really. They are the lowest ranked conference leader. In a position that, if they win out and a couple of the other conference leaders lose, they'd be in a position to make the playoffs.

Well, the Cougars lost to a bad USC team by 3.

Ohio State lost to a bad Purdue team by 29.

That'll do it.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:27 am
  • WSU needs to be rooting for Alabama to win out, otherwise the SEC will be taking up two of the CFP slots again this year.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:42 am
  • Cougs have no shot at getting into the top 4 but at least it will be fun seeing where they go. Now had they beat USC things would have been interesting.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:47 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Makes sense, really. They are the lowest ranked conference leader. In a position that, if they win out and a couple of the other conference leaders lose, they'd be in a position to make the playoffs.

That'll do it.

Agreed, but I was listening to someone discuss the members of the evaluating committee yesterday and he was pointing out how the members with their various duties or lack of expertise either don't have time to properly evaluate or have questionable expertise. Interesting.

I want it to come down to the Apple Cup and as much as I am rooting for WSU I will take great pleasure in UDub ruining your season, lol.
    There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

- Darius Rucker
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:48 am
  • getnasty wrote:Cougs have no shot at getting into the top 4 but at least it will be fun seeing where they go. Now had they beat USC things would have been interesting.

That's simply not true. The Cougs are a great story this year, if they keep winning the national exposure alone will give them a great shot.
    There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

- Darius Rucker
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:19 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Makes sense, really. They are the lowest ranked conference leader. In a position that, if they win out and a couple of the other conference leaders lose, they'd be in a position to make the playoffs.

That'll do it.

True, but I kind of look at the rankings as any team with a realistic shot at winning their conference (sorry Kentucky) is ranked ahead of WSU. The one exception is Ohio State. If Ohio State wins the Big-10, I would think they would beat out a PAC-12 champ WSU for a playoff spot. Not saying they should, but that they would.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:20 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

That'll do it.

Agreed, but I was listening to someone discuss the members of the evaluating committee yesterday and he was pointing out how the members with their various duties or lack of expertise either don't have time to properly evaluate or have questionable expertise. Interesting.

I want it to come down to the Apple Cup and as much as I am rooting for WSU I will take great pleasure in UDub ruining your season, lol.

Edit: This is providing that leaves us w/a Pac-12 North Championship. If not, AND a win gives the Cougs a shot at the CFP, then even though I would never root against my team, that loss wouldn't break my heart.

- Darius Rucker
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:23 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Cougs have no shot at getting into the top 4 but at least it will be fun seeing where they go. Now had they beat USC things would have been interesting.

That's simply not true. The Cougs are a great story this year, if they keep winning the national exposure alone will give them a great shot.

A lot would have to go right for the Cougs (much like I was saying earlier in the season regarding UW). They have no good non-conference wins. I don't think they'd get in ahead of a one loss Notre Dame, which means they probably need Notre Dame to lose twice. They would also need the Big-10 champ to have two losses and the Big-12 champ to have two losses.

Okay, I used an "and" there and they don't actually need all three to happen, but they do need 2 of the 3 to happen. Of those, I think the Big-12 champ having two losses is the most likely (though not saying it will happen), but I have a hard time seeing one of the other two happen
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:24 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Cougs have no shot at getting into the top 4 but at least it will be fun seeing where they go. Now had they beat USC things would have been interesting.

A lot would have to go right for the Cougs (much like I was saying earlier in the season regarding UW). They have no good non-conference wins. I don't think they'd get in ahead of a one loss Notre Dame, which means they probably need Notre Dame to lose twice. They would also need the Big-10 champ to have two losses and the Big-12 champ to have two losses.

Okay, I used an "and" there and they don't actually need all three to happen, but they do need 2 of the 3 to happen. Of those, I think the Big-12 champ having two losses is the most likely (though not saying it will happen), but I have a hard time seeing one of the other two happen

I get it, but you're thinking logically as if there was a strict standard at play here. The prevailing thought used to be that you couldn't schedule early season cupcakes either but we know that's not true now with SEC and others scheduling ridiculously inferior teams.

I truly believe that there are other influences at play here, e.g., pressure from national media, the fact that those other teams always have a chance but for an underdog like the Cougs, it may be perceived as a once-in-a-lifetime kinda deal. Americans love the underdog!

If Wazzu wins out it's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.

- Darius Rucker
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:39 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

I get it, but you're thinking logically as if there was a strict standard at play here. The prevailing thought used to be that you couldn't schedule early season cupcakes either but we know that's not true now with SEC and others scheduling ridiculously inferior teams.

I truly believe that there are other influences at play here, e.g., pressure from national media, the fact that those other teams always have a chance but for an underdog like the Cougs, it may be perceived as a once-in-a-lifetime kinda deal. Americans love the underdog!

If Alabama wins out, both LSU and Georgia will probably have 2 losses, and I don't think the committee could justify a 2 loss team in the playoffs if there are enough 1 loss teams in the Power 5. Michigan and/or Ohio State will knock the other one out, which, if the Cougs win out, leaves them probably at 6th behind the Ohio State/Michigan winner and Oklahoma being the only likely 1 loss teams left. WSU would still probably need 1 more from both of them to have a legitimate shot.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:25 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

If Alabama wins out, both LSU and Georgia will probably have 2 losses, and I don't think the committee could justify a 2 loss team in the playoffs if there are enough 1 loss teams in the Power 5. Michigan and/or Ohio State will knock the other one out, which, if the Cougs win out, leaves them probably at 6th behind the Ohio State/Michigan winner and Oklahoma being the only likely 1 loss teams left. WSU would still probably need 1 more from both of them to have a legitimate shot.

Hasn't a 2 loss team already made the playoffs?In fact didn't a 2 loss team either win a championship or go to the game?I can't exactly remember the details but the bias among those on the selection board is very much towards
    SEC/Big 10..It stinks but I can see a team with 2 losses being ahead of the Cougs at the end.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:44 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:

Hasn't a 2 loss team already made the playoffs?In fact didn't a 2 loss team either win a championship or go to the game?I can't exactly remember the details but the bias among those on the selection board is very much towards
    SEC/Big 10..It stinks but I can see a team with 2 losses being ahead of the Cougs at the end.

Nope. No CFP team has ever had more than 1 loss going into the playoffs. The only 2 loss team to ever win a National Championship was LSU in 2007, during the BCS era, and that was the really strange season where the #2 team in the AP Poll lost every week from 5-13 except weeks 8 and 10 (USC, Cal, South Florida, Boston College, Oregon, Kansas and West Virginia all lost as the #2 team in the country. Amusingly, LSU survived being ranked #2 twice before the final poll, but lost twice as the #1 team in the country).

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:53 am
  • Was watching some talking heads the other day and the question was whether a 2 loss team or 3 no loss teams is more like in the playoffs. Everybody picked the 2 loss team but I think the 3 no loss teams is more likely. I think it could certainly happen this year but I think there will always be enough 1 loss teams to keep a two loss team out.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:38 pm
  • #8 in the playoff rankings. Still gonna go with one game at a time. Still have those bastard dogs at the end of the season.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:45 pm
  • Just took the lead.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:07 pm
  • Well that was a bullcrap call. He didn't even hit the player in the head.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:13 pm
  • Late 3rd Quarter in a Berkeley-WSU game, and the score isn't 60-50?!!?
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:33 pm
  • Threedee wrote:Late 3rd Quarter in a Berkeley-WSU game, and the score isn't 60-50?!!?

No, but the Refs are sure trying to give Cal the game.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:01 pm
  • God, couged the extra point.

If that comes back to bite them...
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:02 pm
  • WSU able to bounce back from sloppy offensive play with a nice defensive performance, and a game-winning TD drive. Nice.
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• Scored a TD with 32 seconds left, bobbled the snap on the extra point. I have a queasy stomach right now.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Threedee wrote:Late 3rd Quarter in a Berkeley-WSU game, and the score isn't 60-50?!!?

WSU-19
    CAL-7
    Refs-6
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:04 pm
  • The_Z_Man wrote:God, couged the extra point.

Last few years, I thought WSU had one of the best kickers in the game with Erik Powell. This Mazza kid sucks.
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 pm
  • =D
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:17 pm
  • Pac 10 refs are unbelievably poor. Doesn't matter the sport. Football basketball you name it they are an embarrassment.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:59 pm
  • Threedee wrote:
    The_Z_Man wrote:God, couged the extra point.

Last few years, I thought WSU had one of the best kickers in the game with Erik Powell. This Mazza kid sucks.

Mazza didn't miss. The holder couldn't even get his hands on the snap.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:41 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Threedee wrote:Late 3rd Quarter in a Berkeley-WSU game, and the score isn't 60-50?!!?

Sure felt that way.

- Darius Rucker
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:33 pm
  • WSU is still #8. 2-loss LSU is ahead of 3 1-loss teams and undefeated UCF after being housed 29-0 at home. I know it's Alabama, but seriously, that's insulting.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:WSU is still #8. 2-loss LSU is ahead of 3 1-loss teams and undefeated UCF after being housed 29-0 at home. I know it's Alabama, but seriously, that's insulting.

It sucks but honestly if WSU played LSU the cougs would probably get their asses handed to them.. so how much can you really complain ?? :lol: meh
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:WSU is still #8. 2-loss LSU is ahead of 3 1-loss teams and undefeated UCF after being housed 29-0 at home. I know it's Alabama, but seriously, that's insulting.

It sucks but honestly if WSU played LSU the cougs would probably get their asses handed to them.. so how much can you really complain ?? :lol: meh

It's not just WSU.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 am
  • I don't think LSU should be ranked ahead of WSU. Even if LSU is better, they don't belong in the playoffs. They lost on their home field to one of the playoff teams and to another team that just lost again. They had their bite at the apple and missed.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:04 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:I don't think LSU should be ranked ahead of WSU. Even if LSU is better, they don't belong in the playoffs. They lost on their home field to one of the playoff teams and to another team that just lost again. They had their bite at the apple and missed.

I don't necessarily believe WSU should have moved up. I could understand being jumped by West Virginia or UCF (Ohio State is looking awfully overrated of late). I just believe LSU blew their chance when they couldn't even score at home. If the Alabama game was close, sure. But LSU was uncompetitive.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:55 pm
  • I agree with that. I suspect a one-loss WVU conference champion makes the top 4 before WSU does. So it would makes sense putting them above WSU. But certainly agree about LSU. They had their shot. They blew it. Move on.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:01 pm
  • If the Cougs don't get screwed with the targeting no call and they pull off the win against SC. Where do you guys think they'd rank?
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:26 pm
  • knownone wrote:If the Cougs don't get screwed with the targeting no call and they pull off the win against SC. Where do you guys think they'd rank?

Probably 5 or 6 imo and def making the playoffs if they won out
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:24 am

It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information