WSU #8 in first CFP ranking.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Makes sense, really. They are the lowest ranked conference leader. In a position that, if they win out and a couple of the other conference leaders lose, they'd be in a position to make the playoffs.

I'm surprised how low Ohio State is.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
HawkGA":7wtxn73p said:
Makes sense, really. They are the lowest ranked conference leader. In a position that, if they win out and a couple of the other conference leaders lose, they'd be in a position to make the playoffs.

Well, the Cougars lost to a bad USC team by 3.

Ohio State lost to a bad Purdue team by 29.

That'll do it.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
WSU needs to be rooting for Alabama to win out, otherwise the SEC will be taking up two of the CFP slots again this year.

getnasty

Reaction score
Cougs have no shot at getting into the top 4 but at least it will be fun seeing where they go. Now had they beat USC things would have been interesting.

D

DomeHawk

Maulbert":3gp3rc0p said:
HawkGA":3gp3rc0p said:

That'll do it.

Agreed, but I was listening to someone discuss the members of the evaluating committee yesterday and he was pointing out how the members with their various duties or lack of expertise either don't have time to properly evaluate or have questionable expertise. Interesting.

I want it to come down to the Apple Cup and as much as I am rooting for WSU I will take great pleasure in UDub ruining your season, lol.

D

DomeHawk

getnasty":1cvwswj8 said:
Cougs have no shot at getting into the top 4 but at least it will be fun seeing where they go. Now had they beat USC things would have been interesting.

That's simply not true. The Cougs are a great story this year, if they keep winning the national exposure alone will give them a great shot.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Maulbert":3qj7j90o said:
HawkGA":3qj7j90o said:

That'll do it.

True, but I kind of look at the rankings as any team with a realistic shot at winning their conference (sorry Kentucky) is ranked ahead of WSU. The one exception is Ohio State. If Ohio State wins the Big-10, I would think they would beat out a PAC-12 champ WSU for a playoff spot. Not saying they should, but that they would.

D

DomeHawk

DomeHawk":1xe0716y said:
Maulbert":1xe0716y said:
HawkGA":1xe0716y said:

That'll do it.

Agreed, but I was listening to someone discuss the members of the evaluating committee yesterday and he was pointing out how the members with their various duties or lack of expertise either don't have time to properly evaluate or have questionable expertise. Interesting.

I want it to come down to the Apple Cup and as much as I am rooting for WSU I will take great pleasure in UDub ruining your season, lol.

Edit: This is providing that leaves us w/a Pac-12 North Championship. If not, AND a win gives the Cougs a shot at the CFP, then even though I would never root against my team, that loss wouldn't break my heart.

HawkGA

Reaction score
DomeHawk":39r9vaby said:
getnasty":39r9vaby said:

That's simply not true. The Cougs are a great story this year, if they keep winning the national exposure alone will give them a great shot.

A lot would have to go right for the Cougs (much like I was saying earlier in the season regarding UW). They have no good non-conference wins. I don't think they'd get in ahead of a one loss Notre Dame, which means they probably need Notre Dame to lose twice. They would also need the Big-10 champ to have two losses and the Big-12 champ to have two losses.

Okay, I used an "and" there and they don't actually need all three to happen, but they do need 2 of the 3 to happen. Of those, I think the Big-12 champ having two losses is the most likely (though not saying it will happen), but I have a hard time seeing one of the other two happen

D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":3fmmh6nw said:
DomeHawk":3fmmh6nw said:
getnasty":3fmmh6nw said:

A lot would have to go right for the Cougs (much like I was saying earlier in the season regarding UW). They have no good non-conference wins. I don't think they'd get in ahead of a one loss Notre Dame, which means they probably need Notre Dame to lose twice. They would also need the Big-10 champ to have two losses and the Big-12 champ to have two losses.

Okay, I used an "and" there and they don't actually need all three to happen, but they do need 2 of the 3 to happen. Of those, I think the Big-12 champ having two losses is the most likely (though not saying it will happen), but I have a hard time seeing one of the other two happen

I get it, but you're thinking logically as if there was a strict standard at play here. The prevailing thought used to be that you couldn't schedule early season cupcakes either but we know that's not true now with SEC and others scheduling ridiculously inferior teams.

I truly believe that there are other influences at play here, e.g., pressure from national media, the fact that those other teams always have a chance but for an underdog like the Cougs, it may be perceived as a once-in-a-lifetime kinda deal. Americans love the underdog!

If Wazzu wins out it's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2spkhxyz said:
HawkGA":2spkhxyz said:
DomeHawk":2spkhxyz said:
getnasty":2spkhxyz said:

I get it, but you're thinking logically as if there was a strict standard at play here. The prevailing thought used to be that you couldn't schedule early season cupcakes either but we know that's not true now with SEC and others scheduling ridiculously inferior teams.

I truly believe that there are other influences at play here, e.g., pressure from national media, the fact that those other teams always have a chance but for an underdog like the Cougs, it may be perceived as a once-in-a-lifetime kinda deal. Americans love the underdog!

If Alabama wins out, both LSU and Georgia will probably have 2 losses, and I don't think the committee could justify a 2 loss team in the playoffs if there are enough 1 loss teams in the Power 5. Michigan and/or Ohio State will knock the other one out, which, if the Cougs win out, leaves them probably at 6th behind the Ohio State/Michigan winner and Oklahoma being the only likely 1 loss teams left. WSU would still probably need 1 more from both of them to have a legitimate shot.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":81d650u3 said:
DomeHawk":81d650u3 said:
HawkGA":81d650u3 said:
DomeHawk":81d650u3 said:

If Alabama wins out, both LSU and Georgia will probably have 2 losses, and I don't think the committee could justify a 2 loss team in the playoffs if there are enough 1 loss teams in the Power 5. Michigan and/or Ohio State will knock the other one out, which, if the Cougs win out, leaves them probably at 6th behind the Ohio State/Michigan winner and Oklahoma being the only likely 1 loss teams left. WSU would still probably need 1 more from both of them to have a legitimate shot.
Hasn't a 2 loss team already made the playoffs?In fact didn't a 2 loss team either win a championship or go to the game?I can't exactly remember the details but the bias among those on the selection board is very much towards
SEC/Big 10..It stinks but I can see a team with 2 losses being ahead of the Cougs at the end.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1zwx2wzv said:
Maulbert":1zwx2wzv said:
DomeHawk":1zwx2wzv said:
HawkGA":1zwx2wzv said:

Hasn't a 2 loss team already made the playoffs?In fact didn't a 2 loss team either win a championship or go to the game?I can't exactly remember the details but the bias among those on the selection board is very much towards
SEC/Big 10..It stinks but I can see a team with 2 losses being ahead of the Cougs at the end.

Nope. No CFP team has ever had more than 1 loss going into the playoffs. The only 2 loss team to ever win a National Championship was LSU in 2007, during the BCS era, and that was the really strange season where the #2 team in the AP Poll lost every week from 5-13 except weeks 8 and 10 (USC, Cal, South Florida, Boston College, Oregon, Kansas and West Virginia all lost as the #2 team in the country. Amusingly, LSU survived being ranked #2 twice before the final poll, but lost twice as the #1 team in the country).

HawkGA

Reaction score
Was watching some talking heads the other day and the question was whether a 2 loss team or 3 no loss teams is more like in the playoffs. Everybody picked the 2 loss team but I think the 3 no loss teams is more likely. I think it could certainly happen this year but I think there will always be enough 1 loss teams to keep a two loss team out.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
#8 in the playoff rankings. Still gonna go with one game at a time. Still have those bastard dogs at the end of the season.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Well that was a bullcrap call. He didn't even hit the player in the head.