Dropping out to focus in the draft

HawkGA

Reaction score
What's with all the injured players dropping out to focus on the draft? Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge them wanting to focus on the draft but it seems all these players have season ending or near season ending injuries. I don't see how dropping out of school helps them. Wouldn't they presumably have access to rehab through the school that they'd be giving up?

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
And yes, I said "all these" and it may technically only be two.

drrew

Reaction score
I think it's reasonable for Bosa, because with family money, he can access to the finest trainers and rehab, without worrying about class getting in the way or living in the shithole that is Columbus, Ohio.

Not sure what sort of NFL future Rodney Andersen has, but he apparently already has his degree, he's never playing at OU again, so if he's done/tired with school, seems like a reasonable decision.

Not sure whether we'll start seeing a bunch of players make this decision, these guys seems to have really specific situations.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
So is the benefit simply not going to class?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HawkGA":2uaimzwm said:
So is the benefit simply not going to class?

Question I would have is are they still on scholarship? If they are, then they are wasting an opportunity to get a degree that will help in the time after football. Of course, depending on the situation, they think that the football is there only chance out of the hole they are in. I have no idea. I would want the degree so I can compete on a LARGER scale when I want to give up football. But I dont play. Maybe they have other principles than I do. Maybe they only see the dollars and have no Sense.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't actually mind the not getting a degree thing, I assume plenty of athlete's don't. I just don't see how separating from the team helps them. I mean, the team broke them so I would presume there is a certain obligation to fix them but I'm not sure that obligation holds if they separate from the team and drop out of school.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HawkGA":2mriqhi1 said:
I don't actually mind the not getting a degree thing, I assume plenty of athlete's don't. I just don't see how separating from the team helps them. I mean, the team broke them so I would presume there is a certain obligation to fix them but I'm not sure that obligation holds if they separate from the team and drop out of school.

In that case I would wonder if they have been approached by scouts and been told where their talent lies in getting to the nFL. That probably will drive them to do things that may change their direction. Also they are probably listening to the tawking heads on EXPN and the like as to their best option for making a fast buck....er Uh futures money. Scouts/Agents are only out for themselves....agents spawn more aggressive behavior that leads to the agent getting more money.

As far as the athletic association is involved, it is probably in the fine print somewhere that they are obligated to stay on the team to finish the current season. "howsomeever, if there is an injury, we shall take appropriate measures to ensure there is adequate steps that are necessary for you to be able to complete your studies." and, yes that is made up...fake news, I just wrote it off the top of my head. And I dont know what the impact to the scholarship would be at this point in time. I dont know the legality of awl dat.

I just supposed at the moral implications and the fake legalities. This is why reading all the contract/fine print in scholarships and what a team is going to offer is so important. A real High school education is really necessary. Not just an 8th grade reading and comprehension level.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
My question is... why not just declare a year earlier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":349wi7ud said:

Well, i would think it is the injury that is driving the decision. They wouldn't have known about the injury before the season.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HawkGA":trophxzx said:
Sox-n-Hawks":trophxzx said:

Well, i would think it is the injury that is driving the decision. They wouldn't have known about the injury before the season.

This is true. A great resume is playing thru as much time is possible enhancing your options for the draft later.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
A slightly different topic but along the same lines is the increasing number of healthy players skipping bowl games to prep for the draft. I would think to some pro teams this could be a red flag for not being a real team player. But of course many pro teams probably don’t care. I’m sure we’ll see it again this season with guys not in the big bowls skipping. If it escalates, makes you wonder if these empty stadium smaller bowls will continue.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I think what happened to Jaylon Smith in a game that didn't have national championship implications probably, and justifiably, scared some guys.

I don't think it affected McCaffery or Fournette's draft stock at all, and I don't think it will impact Bosa at all either. I don't believe the had the option to declare earlier as they are true juniors.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't really have a problem with them sitting out the bowl game. I mean, on the one hand it should be part of the contractual obligation of them accepting a scholarship but at the same time, they are potentially risking a lot.

D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":1gfb3chl said:
I don't really have a problem with them sitting out the bowl game. I mean, on the one hand it should be part of the contractual obligation of them accepting a scholarship but at the same time, they are potentially risking a lot.

I agree, this is the culmination of an entire young lifetime trying to get to this point. You are literally risking possible financial security for the rest of your life.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
You'd have to be specific here. I'm sure there are reasons that make sense. It's not as if it's an epidemic.

For Bosa, it makes perfect sense. He has the tape and pedigree. Needs to be healthy for the combine. Playing now while trying to get healthy is a good way to get more seriously injured.

Ultimately, there is very little reason for college players to put their careers on the line. The NFL CBA doesn't reward players effectively for excelling in college. There is obviously no incentive for them to play college ball other than to get drafted.

The risk for any player who has an expectation to be selected in the top 100 is inadvisable to assume. And with every season where players that do opt out face no professional implications juxtaposed to players who get hurt and their draft position drops by a full round or more -- you'll see this become the rule and not the exception. And justifiably so.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":16cbxm97 said:
You'd have to be specific here. I'm sure there are reasons that make sense. It's not as if it's an epidemic.

For Bosa, it makes perfect sense. He has the tape and pedigree. Needs to be healthy for the combine. Playing now while trying to get healthy is a good way to get more seriously injured.

Ultimately, there is very little reason for college players to put their careers on the line. The NFL CBA doesn't reward players effectively for excelling in college. There is obviously no incentive for them to play college ball other than to get drafted.

The risk for any player who has an expectation to be selected in the top 100 is inadvisable to assume. And with every season where players that do opt out face no professional implications juxtaposed to players who get hurt and their draft position drops by a full round or more -- you'll see this become the rule and not the exception. And justifiably so.

But Bosa was unlikely to play again anyway. The other player I heard of certainly wasn't going to play again. So it's not like they were pulling themselves out to prevent future injury. That's what I don't get. I'm not judging, just trying to understand the benefit if they weren't going to play again anyway.

Latest posts