The pressure in this Apple Cup is squarely on Mike Leach

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
This being Apple Cup week, I don’t need to remind everyone how this game has gone the last five years. But I will anyway.

27-17 Huskies.
31-13 Huskies.
45-10 Huskies.
45-17 Huskies.
41-14 Huskies.

I don’t think there’s any question that, given such low preseason expectations, Mike Leach should be a considered for Pac-12 and National Coach of the Year.

But given the results just listed, I also don’t think there’s anyone with more pressure to win Apple Cup than Leach himself.

For as exciting and unexpected this year has been for the Cougs, you can’t dismiss the fact that they’ve laid the worst of eggs in their biggest game of the season the last few years, losing by an average of 30 points. And given their consistent success (remember, they’re 36-14 over the last four seasons), there’s really no excuse.

And as much as Leach wants to dismiss it as just another game, losing rivalry games that badly and consistently is a total reflection on him.

https://q13fox.com/2018/11/18/commentar ... ce=twitter

sutz

Reaction score
Coaches and players always say, "It's just another game." It's what they do to try and ignore the hype.

Make no mistake, Leach knows how important this game is.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I think WSU destroys UW in this game. They HAVE to win this and the PAC-12 championship in dominating fashion if there is any hope to make it to the CFP. I’m not saying the Fuskies are bad, I’m saying WSU knows what they’re playing for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

DomeHawk

Apple Cup Week aside, I really like this Coug team. I posted earlier that Leach should be Coach of the Year and Minshew, Heisman.

BUT, they don't have a snowball's chance in hell to get into the CFP so I am really going to enjoy us ruining their season.

Because: IT'S GREAT TO BE A HUSKY!!!

Q: What do you call a Cougar golfing with an IQ of 120? A: A foursome!

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/1064623750446862337[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/1064355355130441733[/tweet]

D

DomeHawk

Sox-n-Hawks":wu9vvqom said:
Uncle Si":wu9vvqom said:
Why cant they get into the playoff?

Because they aren't in the SEC.

There may be some truth in that but they also don't have any real quality wins AND their only loss is to a team that isn't even going to a bowl game.

D

DomeHawk

The Cougs are good this year and they are bound to win sooner or later BUT even though this team is better than previous years it's scheme is nothing new. Mike leach's air-raid offense seems to be able to plug in a new QB every year and be productive offensively. The problem for the Cougs is though that Jimmy Lake and the Husky's defense seem to have an equally good scheme to defeat that offense.

Case in point:

2017 Average pts per game: 30.3, against Huskies: 14

2016 Average pts per game: 38.2, against Huskies: 17

2015 Average pts per game: 31.5, against Huskies: 10

2014 Average pts per game: 31.8, against Huskies: 13

So, over the last four years the Cougs average 33 pts per game but when they play the Huskies they average 13.5 pts per game.

Does Jimmy Lake have Leach's scheme figured out?

Are the Huskies, with such great DB's every year, the one team that is built to beat the Cougs?

Or, are they just cougin-it?

getnasty

Reaction score
Leach is playing with house money at this point. UW has and always will have way more talent and it's not even close. If anyone should be feeling the heat it should be a disappointing UW squad.

D

DomeHawk

getnasty":xmmy9yo4 said:
Leach is playing with house money at this point. UW has and always will have way more talent and it's not even close. If anyone should be feeling the heat it should be a disappointing UW squad.

The Huskies can still win the Pac-12 Championship and go to the Rose Bowl. That's disappointing?

That's the trouble with the CFP, if you have a good team and you drop out of contention then you are a disappointment? It's ridiculous.

Maulbert

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2t83iuw4 said:
getnasty":2t83iuw4 said:

The Huskies can still win the Pac-12 Championship and go to the Rose Bowl. That's disappointing?

That's the trouble with the CFP, if you have a good team and you drop out of contention then you are a disappointment? It's ridiculous.

Were you born yesterday? That isn't new with the CFP.

getnasty

Reaction score
DomeHawk":14yg33qu said:
getnasty":14yg33qu said:

If your suppose to compete for a national championship then yes it is disappointing. Your not UCF your UW, if your not disappointed in the season regardless of how it turns out your expectations aren't high enough.

Chapow

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1o1t4vrs said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/1064355355130441733[/tweet]

Leach is one goofy, awkward dude.

Chapow

Reaction score
getnasty":18wjdwp1 said:
DomeHawk":18wjdwp1 said:
getnasty":18wjdwp1 said:

If your suppose to compete for a national championship then yes it is disappointing. Your not UCF your UW, if your not disappointed in the season regardless of how it turns out your expectations aren't high enough.

OK, so IF the Huskies go on to beat the 10-1 #8 ranked Cougs in the Apple Cup, and then go on to win the PAC 12 Championship, and then go on to win the Rose Bowl, Husky fans should all be very disappointed? Because we didn't meet some very lofty and arbitrary expectations that you say we should have had? And who made you the arbiter of what mine or any other fans expectations should be?

You do realize that expectations can change, right? Even if some were thinking Natty or bust this year, any reasonable fan understood that after losing that first game to Auburn the chances of getting to the CFP took a pretty big hit. After losing at Oregon, making the CFP was pretty much off the table. So, what? Now we're all just supposed to sit around the rest of the season all disappointed in any other possible outcome with our arms crossed mumbling about how anything else just isn't good enough?

That's idiotic. Life is short and football seasons are a lot shorter. Dwelling on something completely outside of your control not meeting your expectations instead of enjoying the season for what it is, especially when there is still a lot to play for, is a terrible way to live. After how this season has transpired to this point, I will be ecstatic if UW wins the Apple Cup, the PAC 12, and the Rose Bowl despite your assertion that I should be disappointed about it. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of UW fans will feel the same and, quite frankly, I'd feel pretty sorry for anyone would couldn't enjoy the ride because anything other than a National Championship is a disappointment (or should be according to you).

getnasty

Reaction score
Chapow":35mawuxx said:
getnasty":35mawuxx said:
DomeHawk":35mawuxx said:
getnasty":35mawuxx said:

OK, so IF the Huskies go on to beat the 10-1 #8 ranked Cougs in the Apple Cup, and then go on to win the PAC 12 Championship, and then go on to win the Rose Bowl, Husky fans should all be very disappointed? Because we didn't meet some very lofty and arbitrary expectations that you say we should have had? And who made you the arbiter of what mine or any other fans expectations should be?

You do realize that expectations can change, right? Even if some were thinking Natty or bust this year, any reasonable fan understood that after losing that first game to Auburn the chances of getting to the CFP took a pretty big hit. After losing at Oregon, making the CFP was pretty much off the table. So, what? Now we're all just supposed to sit around the rest of the season all disappointed in any other possible outcome with our arms crossed mumbling about how anything else just isn't good enough?

That's idiotic. Life is short and football seasons are a lot shorter. Dwelling on something completely outside of your control not meeting your expectations instead of enjoying the season for what it is, especially when there is still a lot to play for, is a terrible way to live. After how this season has transpired to this point, I will be ecstatic if UW wins the Apple Cup, the PAC 12, and the Rose Bowl despite your assertion that I should be disappointed about it. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of UW fans will feel the same and, quite frankly, I'd feel pretty sorry for anyone would couldn't enjoy the ride because anything other than a National Championship is a disappointment (or should be according to you).

You can feel anyway you want but at the end of the day UW will have lost to 3 teams that ended up not being very good. Not only are you not making it to the playoffs your not even close. It would be like the 2013 Seahawks making to the wildcard game and losing, weak.

D

DomeHawk

Chapow":3q85rg4m said:
getnasty":3q85rg4m said:
DomeHawk":3q85rg4m said:
getnasty":3q85rg4m said:

^^^^^This (and thank you, you said it much better than me. BTW, this is why you rarely/never see the players on these boards, most fans are complete idiots!)

sc85sis

Reaction score
When Pete was at USC, he always said, “Own the Rose Bowl.” The reason is because any process involving a poll is outside the team’s full control. Winning games, winning the conference and going to Pasadena are all things the team can directly affect through their play on the field. But polls become popularity contests.

Latest posts