2019 draft and potential secondary draftees

mistaowen

Reaction score
Haven't spent much time looking at players who fit the scheme and could be drafted. I think Pete won't be happy seeing the yards given up this year and will look to bolster the secondary, earlier than most seasons. Tre and Shaq are young and certainly can improve, I just have a feeling camp will be pretty busy next year. Any guys to keep an eye on?

Pass rush and coverage play hand in hand and I know this draft is loaded with edge rushers, so I'm thinking trade back... pass rusher, CB/safety, pass rusher.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's hard to project.

Normally, we'd just say there will be two certainties. One, we'll trade back. Two we'll get a day 3 CB to groom.

And if you'd asked me 5 weeks ago, I'd say this year would be no different. However it looks like we won't be picking at 13-16 overall. Maybe even 25+. This is a draft class that is both extremely rich in pass rush talent. yet also completely devoid of skill position talent and OL talent. There are no QBs, WRs RBs or OL in this class able to push out the DL talent down the board. In an even below average year, this class would shake out much like the WR class of 2014. But there aren't many alternatives to fill out the class.

I'd predict Seattle is going to hold onto their pick and use it. The run on DL talent is going to be furious and likely won't stop during the first 40 picks. I also think this might be a draft we see us actually move up and have less picks than the four we have.

Given these hunches, I think Seattle will likely not pick a day three CB project this year. It will depend a great deal on combine measurements.

One scenario that I cannot seem to shake, is that Seattle considers Byron Murphy as an Earl Thomas successor. It will depend greatly on his combine numbers. He can't run a 4.5+ 40 to be considered. Because it's going to require a round one pick to acquire him. And in this sparse class, it may even require a slight move up similar to what was required to get Derwin James as our Kam replacement.

Murphy didn't play FS. But he has the same hard hitting physical style. And he shares Earl's instincts for the ball. He doesn't miss on takeaway opportunities. On tape, he doesn't look as cartoonishly explosive like Earl was at Texas. But he does look like he could be well above average there.

Ultimately, the cornerstone of Pete's defense is the free safety. Everything else radiates from that. If there is one defensive position more crucial to our defense than pass rusher, it's our free safety.

If Murphy slides, I think we take him and convert him. Then try to move up into the 2nd round and get the tail end of the pass rush feeding frenzy. May end up with just the two picks. It's an extremely hot take I admit. But I think we'll end up using most of our cap space to resign our new core players. And use the remainder for non qualified UFAs to fill depth. Using the draft to acquire impact players.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Below is an overlooked CB that doesn't seem to be ranked or recognized at all right now. The analysts haven't looked at season stats yet I'd guess, but these #'s indicate a pretty damn good CB that, at a minimum should really appeal to the Seahawks late in the draft or as an UDFA. Not sure about arm length however, hopefully combine/pro-day/post season reveals that.

SLEEPER?
--CB-Donnie Lewis, Tulane, 5-116/195, est. 4.5/40, - Currently #4 in FCS with 20-passes defended (3 as-INT) in 2018.
2018: 12-games, 54-tkls, 41-solo, 3-INT (1 for TD), 2.5-TFL, 17-PBU, 2-QBH (1.7 passes defended per game this year)
Career: 43-games, 158-tkls, 127-solo, 7.5-TFL, .5-Sacks, 7-INT (1 for TD), *36-PD*, 2-FR, 2-QBH, 1-BK. Films show a sticky coverage guy with excellent ball skills & timing to disrupt opposing receivers from making catches. IMO a sleeper well worth monitoring throughout the draft process. With only 4 draft picks (maybe 5/6/7 - IF they trade down) the "beating of the buses" will be necessary to find gems in the late rounds and/or UDFA ranks. Lewis may fit that bill well.

A few other DB's I think may be of Seahawks interest in the early middle rounds thru UDFA's include:
--CB/S-Sheldrick Redwine, Miami, 6-1/196, speedy, ball hawk, play maker & a big thumper, a S convert?
--SS-LaDarius Wiley, Vanderbilt, 6-1/210, always around ball, passionate, fast & very aggressive, good size.
--CB-Derrick Baity Jr. Kentucky, 6-021/188. 4.52/40. Skinny but Long in the Seahawks mold & fast enough.
--CB-Montre Hartage, Northwestern, 5-115/195, 4.52/40, a very decent cover guy with pretty good stats. Length=?
--CB-Bryce Hall (a Junior), Virginia, 6-1/200 Sticky cover guy, long, strong, smart and fast, #1 in FCS - passes defended.
(Likely gone before rounds 3 or 4, I've seen him mocked as high as Rd 1/2 lately after being ignored until mid-season.)

:smilingalien:

dopeboy206

Reaction score
No more late round DBs please. Have they planned out as of late? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2mocwr7l said:
No more late round DBs please. Have they planned out as of late? Lol

Sure:

2015:

Tye Smith still in the league (IR Titans)

2016:

None selected

2017:

Tedric Tompson (starting),
Michael Tyson reserve with Houston with 2 starts this year

2018:

Tre Flowers (starting)

Basically every single late round DB we've selected in the last four years is in the league and contributing. So going to go with yeah they've planned out.

CamanoIslandJQ":2mocwr7l said:
A few other DB's I think may be of Seahawks interest in the early middle rounds thru UDFA's include:
--CB/S-Sheldrick Redwine, Miami, 6-1/196, speedy, ball hawk, play maker & a big thumper, a S convert?
--CB-Derrick Baity Jr. Kentucky, 6-021/188. 4.52/40. Skinny but Long in the Seahawks mold & fast enough.

Redwine is already a CB to S convert. He seems most definitely a late option. Known as a physical thumper. Has excellent speed:

https://247sports.com/college/miami/Art ... 118998209/

Of course that's a home cooked 40 time. But cooked or no, 4.37 should still be at or below 4.5 in Indy. A definite improvement to Tedric's 4.60. Still, he doesn't exhibit anything near the same kind of instinct for taking the ball away that Murphy has. Nor a similar ability to read/diagnose plays quickly.

Redwine and Baity are guys I could definitely see as day 3 additions.